U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:47 AM

53 posts, read 233,214 times
I grew up in Hockessin back when it was still a rural farming community and never personally experienced racism (I'm part Asian). Back then, as it still remains today, is a section of Hockessin that is predominately black. That area is by the Chippy Chapel. While that section is not a large area, it has been established for a long time. I agree that your experience is more than likely an isolated incident.
I disagree about the PAL center. I think it's a great program that should be in every neighborhood regardless of socio-economics. The teens in Hockessin, Greenville, or whatever affluent neighborhood are just as much "at risk" as those from poorer neighborhoods. While they may not be gang banging, or conducting open air drug sales, drug use is very prevalent in those areas. I can assure you there is at least one crack head if not more in Hockessin. (Reflect back on your days in college and picture the amount of drugs that flowed freely on campus. A majority of college kids come from affluent neighborhoods.) The PAL center is a great bridge between the police and the community. I've been to the Hockessin PAL. It's a nice facility. There is no secret society and no special invites at the PAL, just walk in and take a tour. After all your paying for it.
As far as police response times, the police are dispatched based on a priority basis not the time you place the call. Just like a hospital ER will treat a gunshot victim before someone with minor scrapes and bruises, the police will prioritize the same way. Little Sally that got run over by a car, then shot while en route to the hospital is going to take priority over a smashed mailbox. As anyone who has read delawareonline, you are well aware of the screwed up crimes that occur in this wonderful county, and it just seems to be getting worse. Unfortunately, most police departments are understaffed. If you really want to see more police and get better response times, contact your County councilman.
I'm related to a cop, so I'm admittedly biased toward police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,106 times
Default relocating to delaware

I am a professional single mom of twins. THey just turned two and I am trying to find a community with families that are well educated. I am also concerned with crime ratings and I am not sure exactly what areas to avoid. I lookedi n Pikes Creek and thought it was very nice. I was toldiwas predominately and upper/middle class community. I am thinking maybe I should go back and look in Bear, but I wasn't finding anything I liked there, with the exceptiono f the Day Care.
Any advice appreciated. I am working in Dover three days a week, but leaning towards the pike creek valley area. One ofthe properties was on Plum RUn.
Thanks Jennifer

Old 10-31-2008, 10:57 PM

87 posts, read 214,020 times
There are a lot of really nice areas in Middletown and this would put you between Dover and Wilmington; an easy commute either way. Pike Creek and Hockessin are other good choices. All three have good school districts.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:56 AM

119 posts, read 325,870 times
Summit Pike creek apartments, Forest park, the bluffs, English Village, are in the pike creek area. Rents vary, there are also condos in the area. As the other members have stated, it is a nice area.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,051 times
I live in Hockessin but don't buy gas here. 10 minutes towards Newark the price goes down 25 cents a gallon. This is a great community to live in but it has very few rental properties. Your first impression is most unusual. Greenville is not far away and there is an apartment complex there.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,965 times
does anyone know of any good Over 55 communities in the Hockessin area? Our family is in West Chester, PA and we want to move to northern Delaware to be close to them. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Marcybeth in Memphis, TN!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,914 times
Default Over 55 housing in Hockessin

There is an active adult housing community in Hockessin which is several years old; it's Adare Village and is on Route 7. That is the only one in Hockessin. There's another but it's in Newark. It's still being built and is next to the road leading to St. Mark's High School. There's also the Village of Rocky Run (3-7 years old) off 202 in Wilmington, across the street from a shopping center, but secluded. And further north on 202 there's one "in progress." I remember when it was first being built, but then they didn't seem to finish it. Maybe there's a new builder in there now.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,571 times
Default Boring town with a grafitti problem

Hockessin is boring as ****, there is never anything to do so all the kids just drive around they valley and smoke blunts. The valley used to be a beautiful place, now it is covered in horrible grafitti by two rival squads NF and SUD. The parties suck, too many dudes always show up because there are so few parties. The cops usually always come and the kids are always stupid enough to answer the door(because there is no crime, no one knows their rights). The grafitti kids always bank ppl 9 to 1 because they can't fight ppl 1 on 1. They also rob stuff from the parties, graffiti the walls,break stuff, start fights for no reason and worst of all they come to parties squadded up with dudes and bring no girls. These grimey people are far to old to be going to high school parties they also get no vag. They are the definition of scumbags that will end up no where in life. So go ahead write your nickname on a wall in the valley, in the middle of the night with no chance of getting caught, I hope it makes you feel tough...

Last edited by 420blazefest09; 04-30-2009 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Grammar error

Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 700 times
I am a Florida transplant due to my husband's employment in Philadelphia. He moved to DE prior to me moving here, and he was recommended by a friend to live in Bear. Well, I have lived in a suburb of Tampa, Fl for about 15 years and it was great. It is very different from Bear. The area we live in seems very seedy and not very family friendly. The only shopping area close to us is GOVERNER'S SQUARE, and in my opinion it is horrible. There are constant loitering and recently the pizza shop was held up at gun point. Please don't get me wrong; I know there was crime in Brandon, but it was fare and few in between. I am looking for a great place to settle into her in Delaware. Somewhere I can raise my 7 year old with out worrying about the people around us. I would love to hear about great places to live in north DE. Thanks!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM

513 posts, read 222,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampagirl98 View Post
I am a Florida transplant due to my husband's employment in Philadelphia. He moved to DE prior to me moving here, and he was recommended by a friend to live in Bear. Well, I have lived in a suburb of Tampa, Fl for about 15 years and it was great. It is very different from Bear. The area we live in seems very seedy and not very family friendly. The only shopping area close to us is GOVERNER'S SQUARE, and in my opinion it is horrible. There are constant loitering and recently the pizza shop was held up at gun point. Please don't get me wrong; I know there was crime in Brandon, but it was fare and few in between. I am looking for a great place to settle into her in Delaware. Somewhere I can raise my 7 year old with out worrying about the people around us. I would love to hear about great places to live in north DE. Thanks!
You have many choices. Hockessin, Pike Creek (where i live), Greenville (really expensive), North Star. Taxes are much lower here than in Tampa, you should consider purchasing.

The schools are also great here. It's interesting you moved to DE while i'm looking to move to Tampa.

Welcome to DE, you'll love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware