U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 AM

297 posts, read 635,286 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have recommendations? I'd like to find someone in the Middletown/Newark/Christiana/Bear area, preferably, but am willing to go to Wilmington. We're going to have pretty complicated taxes this year, with a move via relocation company, my DH working in PA and us living in DE, and a few other twists going on. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,290,686 times
My tax accountant's in Texas. (Sounds like a song, don't you think?)

Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 AM

29 posts, read 88,072 times
I know 2 - 1 in the Newark and 1 near Claymont. Both are good -maybe pricey in some people's view.

Not sure it is proper to post them here, but if pm me, I will send their contact info over

Old 01-11-2011, 11:03 AM

322 posts, read 1,108,267 times
The PA work / DE reside tax thing isn't too bad to figure on your own...

You file with PA on the wages earned in PA - it should wash out if the company was withholding at the proper rate.
Then you apply the tax paid to PA as a credit to DE.

You will pay an accountant over $200 to file the 3 taxes (Fed, PA and DE) - file PA on your own through their website (easy!) and then buy a $50 Turbo Tax and follow the questions - It guides you along and looks for mistakes.

The one time I did use a CPA after stock sale and 401k proceeeds used for house purchase, they pretty much used turbo tax like software and plugged numbers in - sure, they may "find" extra deductions (cough-cough) but most times they just plug things in and don't understand what each of those lines means either!
I have numerous friends and a brother who are accountants - one friend was doing taxes for someone from DE and failed to file DE state income thinking that Delaware was "tax free" (this was early in his career).
Despite having these resources available to me, I buy Turbo Tax and deal with it on my own...

Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude View Post
The PA work / DE reside tax thing isn't too bad to figure on your own...

You file with PA on the wages earned in PA - it should wash out if the company was withholding at the proper rate.
Then you apply the tax paid to PA as a credit to DE.

You will pay an accountant over $200 to file the 3 taxes (Fed, PA and DE) - file PA on your own through their website (easy!) and then buy a $50 Turbo Tax and follow the questions - It guides you along and looks for mistakes.

The one time I did use a CPA after stock sale and 401k proceeeds used for house purchase, they pretty much used turbo tax like software and plugged numbers in - sure, they may "find" extra deductions (cough-cough) but most times they just plug things in and don't understand what each of those lines means either!
I have numerous friends and a brother who are accountants - one friend was doing taxes for someone from DE and failed to file DE state income thinking that Delaware was "tax free" (this was early in his career).
Despite having these resources available to me, I buy Turbo Tax and deal with it on my own...
That's what I normally do, but we also have to file VA taxes AND we sold our house last year within 13 months of the previous house sale and for a profit, so we also have to deal with capital gains loopholes (moving for a job). When I did Turbo Tax last year, that didn't really give me an option to get into that if I remember correctly. Also, we had a lot of relo benefits that were grossed up and I'm not sure how all that works out. We're ok with paying someone this year. With so many variables we just don't want to chance screwing up something.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM

445 posts, read 1,285,580 times
I concur with the OP's idea of paying to have them done this year; I was glad I did our 1st year with a house sale, paid moving expenses and the like. And once you see how they do it you can reverted back to doing your own.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM

604 posts, read 1,775,014 times
How much profit did you make on the house? Could not be more than allowable profit to not warrrant CG tax.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
How much profit did you make on the house? Could not be more than allowable profit to not warrrant CG tax.
It's not. We only had the house 13 months, and had bought a short sale that needed a good amount of work. We got a good enough deal that we made money on the sale, but not that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or