Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 AM

22 posts, read 56,408 times

Advertisements

Well, it's officicial, I will be a Delawarian in less than two weeks. I purchased a townhome in Bear,De. Since this is my first place, I need to buy everything; furniture(bedroom, living room, dining room/kitchen), appliances(refrigerator). Can anyone share any good buying experiences with any of the local businesses or where the best places to get good deals are? I have been doing some browsing online at places like Diamond Furniture, Ashley Furniture, and American Signature Furniture. Are there any places around that sell used furniture or appliances? I have been browsing the chain stores(Lowes, Home Depot, Sears) for appliances as well. I know there's a Sears Outlet store nearby, anyone have any experience with them? Does anyone know of any local Mom & Pop type stores in the area that sell furniture or appliances? Also, I will need some area rugs. Are there any good carpet places in the area where maybe I could get a remnant or something left over?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
for cheap carpet I would try this one New Castle, Delaware Carpet and Tile Mart: Carpet, Vinyl, Tile and Hardwood Flooring

We bought several items at the sears outlet store. It is a great place as long as you don't need to order a missing piece (our built in oven did not have a frame and it took 10 calls and 3 visits to get the piece ...)
but dryer and washer where great and inexpensive.

cooktop and hood we actually bought on ebay - always an option ! sometimes you'll find sears outlet items on ebay, too.

furniture ... always depends on the taste too. my first choice always is IKEA (philly) and target .
we bought ONCE a sofa set from american furniture - looked very good, wasn't too expensive, but was made very cheaply....).

welcome to Delaware

Old 01-15-2011, 01:07 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
In lookig for used appliance check out Good Will stores. When we had rental units I was able to pick up some decent usable stuff at really cheap prices. You would of course have to move it.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:34 AM

347 posts, read 863,207 times
Congratulations! There is a Habitat for Humanity re-store in the area that is set up warehouse style. They have a good selection of just about everything...esp. appliances. Don't skimp on your mattress. I have used Sleepy's in Bear. They will price match. President's Day Sales are coming up so shop around. JC Penney outlet online has some great furniture deals. Most stores are having "white" or "home" sales right now...check clearance areas for towels, sheets, etc. Don't forget to ask your friends and family if they have anything they would be able to pass on to you. Best o fluck and welcome to Delaware.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 AM

Thank you for the welcome and suggestions. I checked out the Sears Outlet, but I didn't really see any good bargains. The stuff that was really discounted was in pretty bad shape. I was able to pick up a good deal on a new washer and dryer pair from Lowe's. It was cheaper than anything comparable at Sears Outlet. I will definintely check out the Tile Mart. I need to get quite a few area rugs. I will also take a look at the Good Will and Habitat for Humanity stores.

I bought some furniture from Cohen Brothers on Rte 13 in New Castle. Does anybody have any experience with them? I didn't really get a warm and fuzzy fealing from them when I left so I googled them and this is what I found:

Cohen Brothers Furnitute LLC, New Castle, DE : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Most of the horror stories are around not getting furniture for several weeks or even months. I really hope this isn't the case for me.

Last edited by bh_cubed; 01-17-2011 at 05:54 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 06:55 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
IMO, one of the best furniture stores in Delaware is Johnny Janosak. Excellent customer service but the one in Laurel, which is huge, is quite a drive. They also have a discount center on the premises. Raymour and Flanigan has two stores in North Wilmington--one sells bedroom and I think dining furniture and the other sells living and family room furniture. Check out The Country Marketplace in Hockessin/Yorklyn (not sure which it really is). They have some pieces that you will not find everywhere. DM me if you are doing to Johnny J's.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:55 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
The winter clearance sale is currently going on at Pala Brothers Furniture on Kirkwood Hwy in Elsmere (suburban Wilmington), roughly across the road from the VA Hosp. Although Pala Bros. is normally quite pricey - they carry the nicest, most high end furniture in Delaware - it may be possible to pick up some floor pieces at the lower end of their range for a good price during the clearance. They are well worth checking out, even if you don't buy anything there. They have beautiful stuff.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,002 times
Try this website, it looks great and we're going there today. [url=http://www.canterburyusedfurniture.com]CANTERBURY USED FURNITURE & ANTIQUES - Home[/url]
Ditto on thrift stores and goodwill. All Saints Thrift Store in Bethany has great stuff.
We just relocated to DE 4 months ago and are having some of the same issues. Good luck

Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
and, of course, check the news journal and the middletown transcript too fuer used things.
I have heard, others got great things from craigslist, you only have to be careful, when it comes to real estate (scam).

Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM

thank you all so much for the wonderful ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware