U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 18,341 times

Advertisements

We have started looking for a home in DE. So far we have looked at homes being built in new communities. One of the sales reps told us that in DE there is more than just commission to pay and it is more costly than buying a home here in NJ. Could someone explain what she might have been talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 PM

604 posts, read 1,775,184 times
Generally, the Seller pays the commission. I generally have a buyer's agency agreement and expect a certain percentage of the sale price as my commission which most of the time coincides with what the Seller is offering ...so the Buyer rarely has to pay .... I don't want to say anything about what the sales rep was up to.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:54 PM

377 posts, read 991,630 times
There are always closing costs when buying a house. We had a house built and the builder gave our realtor a percentage of the sale off the home. I found closing costs similar to costs in Nj when we bought our first house.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,291,897 times
There's the title transfer fee, a neat hidden tax that DE extracts and which has been very helpful in keeping the State in the black when the real estate market is good (hence a significant problem for the State in the current slumped market). IIRC it's a total of 3% of the sale price and split between buyer and seller so that each pays 1.5%. However, I may not be accurately remembering the exact percentage of the fee.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 AM

7,321 posts, read 10,750,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
There's the title transfer fee, a neat hidden tax that DE extracts and which has been very helpful in keeping the State in the black when the real estate market is good (hence a significant problem for the State in the current slumped market). IIRC it's a total of 3% of the sale price and split between buyer and seller so that each pays 1.5%. However, I may not be accurately remembering the exact percentage of the fee.
Called, Delaware Transfer Tax
3% Total, usually split between buyer/seller, but negotiable and terms must be spelled out in contract

In addition, many municipalities also have a transfer tax, and each town assesses a different percentage, according to sales price. If buying or selling within a town (jurisdiction) check with that entity.

Other fees: termite inspection, well/septic certifications (if applicable) home inspection (if applicable), property survey, recording of documents, title search. And then, pro-rated costs i.e. utilities, gas/oil, real estate taxes. In short, a well written sales contract of sale will clearly state 'who pays what'.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 AM

604 posts, read 1,775,184 times
The point I was trying to make is that the buyer does not end up paying any additional costs compared to NJ. Down payment and closing costs incl. transfer tax - which are prevalent also in NJ where OP comes from - are standard costs and you can add all kinds of desired costs such as points --there is no limit as to what those costs would be. In any case OP would not be signing an agreement without the fair estimate of costs.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 PM

5 posts, read 18,341 times
It must have been the transfer tax she was referring to. She was talking about us figuring out how much money we would actually have to purchase the home in DE after selling in NJ. She implied we would have less money available after costs on the real estate in DE than we would if we bought in NJ again. The sales rep said she just wanted us to realize that when planning. I don't ever recall paying such a sizable amount for a transfer. Thank you everyone for responding. I enjoy reading the threads here and learning about the area we are planning to call our home once we retire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or