U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 9,950 times

Advertisements

Hi i am moving 2 wilmington delaware i am a gay male and i will be living on west 19th street i was wondering is that a good neighborhood or is wilmington a bad place all together 4 gay people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,013,208 times
Gotta give us a block number, or a cross street. Parts of 19th are good, and parts are bad.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,238,090 times
I'm gay and lived in Wilmington many years ago. It's not "bad" for gay people - it's just boring. If you can manage the commute, live in Philly and drive.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 9,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Gotta give us a block number, or a cross street. Parts of 19th are good, and parts are bad.
It would be 107 west 19th street 19802

Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 PM

4,636 posts, read 6,364,746 times
Sorry, I don't know 19th St., but my partner and I live here in the beautiful burbs of Wilmington and are gay. We've been here not quite three and a half years, moving from London and before that from a very long time in Austin, TX. We've found this place fine, though for a gay "scene" you either need to go up to Philly (we rarely do -- don't care for Philly that much) or down to Rehoboth Beach during the summer, especially for major weekends --- Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labour Day. Although for Rehoboth, basically anytime from late June through beginning of Sept is good in terms of the gay contingent there. Rehoboth has a permanent gay community, but is much enhanced by vacationers from DC and elsewhere during the summer months (including those of us up in northern DE).

Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,013,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony31993 View Post
It would be 107 west 19th street 19802
Although that block looks solid, as there is those nice old buildings down on Market Street, you're about a block from Concord/Vandever Avenues.

If you always drive, you can pull it off, but to let you know, of the parts of Wilmington that might be more tolerant to homosexuality, northside is not one.

Concord/Vandever Ave is a profitable heroin district in northside Wilmington. Market St on the other side of Concord/Vandever is also full of "cornerboys" and liquor stores.

FYI: When people say "North Wilmington," is a nice area, they're not talking about the north section of the city - they're talking about the suburbs. Northside Wilmington is a higher crime, predominantly black neighborhood except for the area near Salesianum School, which is too far away to be of benefit to you on that block of 19th.

Last edited by Joe84323; 01-28-2011 at 07:53 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 06:59 AM

Actually, that area isn't healthy for anyone, regardless of sexual orientation. If you have any choices in this matter, I'd suggest looking for a different option. I am guessing you - the OP - are pretty young. Maybe you aren't in a position to exercise any choice in the matter. If that's the case, be very careful. I hadn't realised that area was where that 19th St address is located. Again, it's dangerous for anyone, probably the most dangerous area in the city. A lot of shootings and assaults.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:01 AM

740 posts, read 1,083,572 times
Google earth street view is nice to get a feel for the area, this is looking up the street. The address you listed is 3-4 houses up on the right side of the pic.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ZNzxWH7r_Bw/TUbARuwrcaI/AAAAAAAAABU/yB5WIzZotiY/wilmington.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 AM

It doesn't look bad, but the question is what's in immediate proximity and the ability to avoid it. Also, shootings/gunplay have taken place around the residential areas in that part of town. The City of Wilmington is getting off to a very bad start for 2011 in terms of shootings. One can only hope the city gov't together with the state can get control of things.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,481,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
It doesn't look bad, but the question is what's in immediate proximity and the ability to avoid it. Also, shootings/gunplay have taken place around the residential areas in that part of town. The City of Wilmington is getting off to a very bad start for 2011 in terms of shootings. One can only hope the city gov't together with the state can get control of things.

I think, especially by the way this year has started, this will be the year that curfews are installed. I'm not sure if just east of Market St can have a curfew but I really think the state will finally say, no more help until you get your act together, also the difference between shootings (victims that have been shot) and homicides is AIM. This past week has been unusual in the amount of shootings.

Last edited by James420; 01-31-2011 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware