U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,809 times

Advertisements

I lived in LI NY my whole life. I moved to PA and hate it, there is nothing to do. I want to be by beaches, make friends, and be in a low crime area yet be populated enough not to be bored out of my skin. I want to make this my final destination move. TY for everyones help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:58 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,300,467 times
Depends on your income and buying power. If you want to be near the beaches and can afford it, Lewes is lovely. If you're really posh, I'd suggest Henlopen Acres.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:48 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,421,246 times
depending on where you lived in PA, you might find it as boring in DE . I would not say, there is nothing to do (always depending on your hobbies ... I was never bored so far ...) in DE, but compared to LI with NYC so close by, most parts of DE and many parts of PA might feel like a cultural and culinary desert.

have you ever been to DE ? beaches are great - but there is late fall, winter and early spring - not the perfect beach weather ...

I have a couple of friends, who moved here from the north, 2 families from LI, and it took them quite a while to adjust. And they still struggle and would go back, if they could (BUT they really enjoy the friendly folks here ...).
OK, they live in Bear, would not be my first choice either, but there is simply no way to compare towns or cities like wilmington or dover to LI.

I would suggest doing some research here on the Delaware forum, people discussed all kinds of different places and things to do.

and, yes, to get more information regarding where to live, a rough price range would be helpful.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,057,383 times
I can offer quite a bit of advice if you decide on the DE beaches. I've lived in both Lewes and Ocean View, and I'd highly recommend both. Each one has its pros and cons. Lewes has quite a bit to offer as far as things to do, events, shopping, and dining, but you'll need to be upper middle class to live in the "good" areas. Ocean View is has less to offer than Lewes/Rehoboth (may be more affordable though), but it's close to Ocean City and has the standard stores you'll need for everyday life. Please let me know if you have any questions about either town. Both are low crime areas as well, by the way. Well, very little violent crime...I suppose I should say.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:04 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,301,779 times
Although not close to the beaches I always wanted to live in the heart of the historic quarter of New Castle. It's charming!

Old 01-29-2011, 10:10 PM

445 posts, read 1,286,340 times
Lewes & Fenwick Island at the beaches and Barley Mill Rd in Greenville.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 AM

41 posts, read 123,613 times
Lewes is my choice

Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM

43 posts, read 88,084 times
I lived in Lewes for 7 years and really did enjoy it there. The people are really nice, but like most shore areas, the summers are brutally crowded. The people (natives) and businesses are a bit outdated and have no desire to progress. It's perfect for a retired person or retired couple, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for a fast paced lifestyle. The tax free shopping is pretty nice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or