U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which County in Delaware do you live in (or will be living in)?
New Castle County - Northern New Castle Co. 18 36.00%
New Castle County - Below the C&D Canal 7 14.00%
Kent County 11 22.00%
Sussex County 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 AM

604 posts, read 1,774,658 times

Advertisements

This thread turned out to be quite interesting. It was good that Beachliz let go and felt free to really give well rounded opinions about both counties rather than just psuedo-proud opinions about the county everybody was born -grew up in.

Just as an interesting anecdote ... my BIL (a Millsboro native with all the Sussex co. drawl) was transfered to cosmopolitan triangle -Greensboro NC and as soon as he opened his mouth the natives would call him a Yankee, it is all relative!!!

Last edited by armx; 02-15-2011 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 12:09 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,956,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Looks like you and I are on the same track. We're planning to leave NY next July.
Hmmm, and that's the same month my lease is up here in NJ, and dw and I are trying to find someplace in DE now. There's quite a bit of RE available ... just need to decide if we want a private house, a condo, or some type of 55+ community.

So I have not yet posted my answer to this poll, because we're looking in several locations ... Wilmington and north, Dover/Smyrna/Camden, or the beaches.

Decisions decisions decisions.

Last edited by pvs; 02-15-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 12:13 PM

7,316 posts, read 10,745,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
This thread turned out to be quite interesting. It was good that Beachliz let go and felt free to really give well rounded opinions about both counties rather than just psuedo-proud opinions about the county everybody was born -grew up in.
Actually, I really don't see anything wrong in being proud of one's roots and state. The discussion, I didn't think, was about "Bashing Delaware". But maybe that makes a busier and more interesting thread, for some.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,288,748 times
Well, I don't see it about bashing Delaware at all! Indeed, I come to praise Delaware, not to bash her But Delaware isn't simply co-terminous with the boundaries of Sussex County; nor with those of New Castle County above the C&D Canal! It's both/and, not either/or. Jeez - I understand attachment to the land: my maternal grandparents owned a ranch that had been in my grandfather's family since they came to Texas before the Civil War, I lived on that ranch while my dad was stationed overseas and I started 1st grade in a late 19th Century schoolhouse five miles down the road from it in a town that was then about 500 souls. I hate to see southern Delaware turning into a bunch of housing developments on what had been productive farmland. To be truthful, I don't want to live down in rural Delaware and don't find the coastal plain topography of southern Delaware very pretty. However, the perception of beauty is subjective and one's personal attachments are crucial. What I thankfully don't get from folks up here in New Castle County, except for a few old money types, is "you're an outsider and you can't join the club"; unlike the attitude that rdlr seems to be reflecting to the effect that for the most part if you come from outside rural Sussex or Kent - even if you were born within the territorial boundaries of Delaware - you aren't "a real Delawarean". That is an awfully provincial and exclusivist attitude, frankly.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:58 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,135,189 times
A bunch of flatlanders thats what they are.....Kidding, easy with the flames easy!!! I've seen and heard the whole northener, yankee thing before, but not from rdlr. Not on this forum either.

Here's the thing, lower Delaware including Middletown was really nothing but farmlands until the late '80s early '90s and even the beach areas didn't build up until the late '90s. Kent and Sussex county originals have basically had those Counties to themselves for generations. So when huge changes like housing developments started popping up all over in a very short period of time I'm sure it aggravated alot of people, they didn't want to turn into Wilmington south. Plus lets add in attitudes from some of the new residents who think of these lower Delaware people as country bumpkins.

I think of last year when we visited St Augustine in Florida as a possible place where we would like to move to. We met with two realtors and six families, both realtors were from the Northeast and two of the families were as well. When we asked about the friendliness of the area (apparently northern FL is seen as more southern than south FL) they all agreed that while we wouldn't be accepted by all the natives, all of them told us there are two rules for new comers, especially from the north, or we would end up as halfbacks (they actually have a term for people who move to FL don't like it and halfway back to NC.

1 rule. Forget your car has a horn, do not use it under any circumstance, we will know if you do use it and you will be blackballed. If you must use your horn go back north, use it all day to get it out of your system then come back.

2 rule. Under no circumstance do not talk about the north, about how things are done in the north or why things are done in the north or even what things are done in the north. We don't care, if you love the north so much then go back.

Everyone told us these rules, we had no idea about any of this and my Delaware native wife said " Where are we Sussex County " I think this is all the life long residents of lower Delaware want, a little respect. I think its hard for anyone who has moved around alot to understand the hometown pride natives have. Thats all, and the natives need to realize progress happens some good some bad. I've always felt if I didn't bring a better than you attitude, then I wouldn't get the go back where you came from attitude.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,050,977 times
Armx: Thanks, but sometimes my "letting go and giving well rounded opinions" gets me in trouble--LOL!!
And--that is really interesting about your brother-in-law being considered a "Yankee" in NC even though he was from Sussex County. I always wondered if true southerners considered Sussex Countians outsiders...I suppose you provided that answer!

I really am NOT trying to offend anyone with my comments on here; I'm probably the nicest person you'd ever meet if you met me. I hope I'm not coming off as half-cocked. It just bothers me that I have been considered as "not really a Delawarean" even though my paternal family was as "good ol' farmboy" as they come in northern Delaware. I was even called a "city person" when I moved here in '85 (shudder!). I have NEVER lived in a city and would probably not last long if I did.

I just felt that I had quite a bit to share about Delaware considering my paternal family's roots and the fact that I married a man from a very rural, western Sussex County family. I've also lived in extreme northern and extreme southern Delaware. I do realize that Sussex County isn't for everyone, and I respect that. My sister could not wait to leave the area and move back to Brandywine Hundred, and it's like pulling teeth just to get her to come down here. My parents left Sussex County as well. I'll be leaving in a few years for south Florida, but I will always consider myself a true Delawarean, regardless of what some other person may think.

I have truly enjoyed this thread, and I hope more people post their Delaware opinions on here

Last edited by beachliz; 02-15-2011 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: error

Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM

I am still waiting for some Kent County natives or long-time residents to post their perceptions of Kent and how it relates to the rest of the state. I know at least one of the long-term Kent residents on the DE forum, even though she's apparently not a native. It would still be interesting to hear some Kent perspective.

BTW, up here in north New Castle Co. I hear real Yankee accents all the time, but they aren't from the natives; they're from obvious transplants or business trippers from northern NJ, NY/Long Island, or a certain class of Philly people. The one's who to me are very obvious are the women, because they're so freaking loud and - to my ears - abrasive. And BTW, with the exception of these REAL Northerners, when I moved back to the US after a few years in Europe, Everyone in the States sounded at least somewhat Southern to me. I realise that sensitivity is now disappearing, but I can still hear Southern aspects of the South DE accent -- it's not a bad thing!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 AM

7,316 posts, read 10,745,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I am still waiting for some Kent County natives or long-time residents to post their perceptions of Kent and how it relates to the rest of the state.
Why? You asked for perceptions, and I gave mine. Now, my head has been put on the chopping block. I was totally unaware of the motives here. I get it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
That is an awfully provincial and exclusivist attitude, frankly.
Very strong words here, when one was actually asked for an opinion.
Carry on.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 AM

Yes, rdlr, it was all a conspiracy to bash Lower Delawareans Not! I'm not the only one, as I perceive it, who has been dismayed by your attitude about everyone and everything outside of the rural, agrarian parts of Delaware. Surely all parts of DE have their up and down sides, their pros and cons. If you had said that Wilmington and New Castle include large areas of urban blight and seemingly invincible urban poverty culture, with the attendant drug and gun crime, I could hardly have disagreed with you. However, if you essentially say that only rural Sussex county is truly Delaware, I'm going to take issue with the patent absurdity of that assertion. It's one thing to express pleasure and pride in one's hometown, region, etc; quite another to exclude and disenfranchise everyone else from legitimate membership of the greater commonwealth.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 AM

6,826 posts, read 7,750,714 times
Because Wilmington is overshadowed by Philly, I've always had the suspicion that NCC residents needed someone to look down on so chose to focus on those below the canal. Terms such as "below the ditch" and "slower lower" reveal more about those who utter them than those they are directed at. In reality, southern Delaware is charming - inland and at the beaches. The Marylanders from west of the Chesapeake tout and revere their Eastern Shore. Southern Delaware is the same topographically and culturally, but I believe the insecurity of some NCC residents drives them to bash it rather than appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware