Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which County in Delaware do you live in (or will be living in)?
New Castle County - Northern New Castle Co. 18 36.00%
New Castle County - Below the C&D Canal 7 14.00%
Kent County 11 22.00%
Sussex County 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times

Advertisements

Ya know, I guess Middletown, doesn't deserve any credit, you guys might of heard of it, one of the fastest growing towns in the East, throughout the '90s and 2000's. One of maybe two school districts in the state that isn't a mess. Actually some people have flocked to Middletown for the schools, not just former north Wilmington residents but people from out of state. I grew up in Southeastern PA and like West Chester and Philly although isn't Philly the murder capital this year. I also like Beaver Valley, Middletown, Wilmington, Greenville, the Beaches especially Lewes and believe it or not, Dover, Milton and for some reason Laurel. White Clay Creek State Park, Bombay Hook, Augustine Beach, Cedar Swamp, Prime Hook, Bowers Beach, Bellevue Park, Killiens Pond, Lums Pond, Delaware Park Horse Racing, Baywood Golf Course, Rock Manor Golf Course, the riverfront, Rodney and Trolley Square. Is there anything better than going out of Port Mahon in November for some Striper fishing? Duck hunting in Cedar Swamp? Trout fishing in Beaver Valley, and Brandywine Creek State Park? Little League Baseball?

All this state needs to do for me to stay is get a handle on the crime, and start doing something about the schools that doesn't include ministers from Wilmington. BTW, they got what they asked for in bussing and now they want it back, on the backs of taxpayers no less. Of course there's a little thing about hearing aids for kids but thats a story for another time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
What I thankfully don't get from folks up here in New Castle County, except for a few old money types, is "you're an outsider and you can't join the club"; unlike the attitude that rdlr seems to be reflecting to the effect that for the most part if you come from outside rural Sussex or Kent - even if you were born within the territorial boundaries of Delaware - you aren't "a real Delawarean". That is an awfully provincial and exclusivist attitude, frankly.

As a lifelong New Yorker, Yankee fan, and someone who tends to talk too fast and too loud, who finds it hard to follow your speed limits and does not yet have the patience for the time it takes your cashiers and waitresses to take care of me, I will state that when it comes to rdlr, you don't know jack, jef! My wife and I enjoyed her and her husbands hospitality this summer, and when we do move down there, I know she will be the first to welcome us as new Delawarean's!

Maybe they just don't like brits down south!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:28 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
How could I forget Hoopes resevoir, my wife used to drop me off right near it (its illegal to fish there) in my camo just to catch some really huge Bass and Crappie. i have since passed that tradition down to my kids when they were 7 and 5 years old. Now she drops me and my kids off, all of us in camo to catch some fish. The camo makes it harder for the cops and neighbors to see us. Parents of the Year I always say.

BTW, I won't hold it against rdlr for having friends that are Yankee fans.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
As a lifelong New Yorker, Yankee fan, and someone who tends to talk too fast and too loud, who finds it hard to follow your speed limits and does not yet have the patience for the time it takes your cashiers and waitresses to take care of me, I will state that when it comes to rdlr, you don't know jack, jef! My wife and I enjoyed her and her husbands hospitality this summer, and when we do move down there, I know she will be the first to welcome us as new Delawarean's!

Maybe they just don't like brits down south!

NYJoe, I'm actually a native Texan whose childhood was spent in VA and DC and the majority of whose working career was spent in the great city of Austin, TX but finished up in London. I daresay my norms for behaviour in RL are more attuned to Delaware ways than the loud, impatient and entitled culture of downstate New Yorkers.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:33 AM

James420 -- you have quite eclectic interests! RE: Middletown -- question is, will it ever be anything now essentially other than a bedroom community for people commuting north for work? Formerly it was a small town serving the peach orchards and other farming of its immediate area. Now, ISTM that a minority of residents would be locally employed in the schools and local businesses, with the majority working farther north in NCCo or in some cases over in Jersey or up in PA. It would be interesting to see what Middletown will have become in 30 years. Will it just be what Bear is now or will it have become a more established centre for some types of business that reach beyond the local community?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
NYJoe, I'm actually a native Texan whose childhood was spent in VA and DC and the majority of whose working career was spent in the great city of Austin, TX but finished up in London. I daresay my norms for behaviour in RL are more attuned to Delaware ways than the loud, impatient and entitled culture of downstate New Yorkers.

Now now, I said I was loud and impatient. I never admitted to feeling entitled! Please insult me accurately.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,040 times
Please, guys, if you need to insult people, remember that I am here, and for such insults, I work tirelessly

Middletown, though, is quite a bit underrated. I did ride through it about a month ago, and I can say the area is coming along very nicely, especially along (I believe,) 401.

I have to personally try to devote a bit more attention to the MOT area.. as it is one of the few areas growing rapidly in Delaware. Too bad it doesn't have better connectivity with the northern part of the county.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,866 times
i guess, you mean 301 (which converts to 896 when you go up north).

I really can see middletown main street (299) coming along very nicely. a couple of interesting shops (like the comic shop, purple sage, framing shop, bridal and prom wear, a tattoo shop , a couple of cafes, the everett theater, the gibby's art gallery, barber shops ..

sidewalks were done with bricks and old fashioned street lights, lots of homes were remodeled over the last 2 years, there is a market square with benches and a seafood shop and a pub, where you can sit outside ... just park your car somewhere close (and free ) and stroll through down town. we have our own little newspaper (middletown transcript) and it is very hard not to socialize too much at the grocery store, because you always meet neighbors and friends.
oh, and close to mainstreet there is the dutch country market, also a nice place to shop for amish bread, cheeses and other products.

It's just nice you have a center here, where parades, trick or treat in shops, festivals, friday's art nights etc can take place.

that's why I would not compare middletown to bear. at least I have not found something comparable, just strip malls and neighborhoods.

we moved to Middletown (from claymont) and were very happy for over 6 years - happy with the people, very happy with the schools and everything, middletown has to offer. Saying good bye is being harder than we thought ...

Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Back from my overnight trip downstate. Drove back partly via Rt 9, which we'd never done before. Very nice, remote feeling route. Nice not to see all the cheap construction that you see on Rt 1. Must do it again when things are green.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Back from my overnight trip downstate. Drove back partly via Rt 9, which we'd never done before. Very nice, remote feeling route. Nice not to see all the cheap construction that you see on Rt 1. Must do it again when things are green.
You passed the octagonal schoolhouse, near Cowgill's Corner. No surprise, it sits off the road and is easy to miss. Interesting, though.
OCTAGONAL SCHOOLHOUSE
Be careful on Rt. 9! Racoon, Opossum and snakes are in large supply, and roadkill is everywhere, mostly during the spring and summer. Lots of accidents because people try to miss the critters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware