Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which County in Delaware do you live in (or will be living in)?
New Castle County - Northern New Castle Co. 18 36.00%
New Castle County - Below the C&D Canal 7 14.00%
Kent County 11 22.00%
Sussex County 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
When RDLR speaks of Kent County, she does so with 29+ years of knowledge and experience. When you try to present knowledge of an area with which you are clearly unfamiliar, it's a good thing that RDLR can come along and correct any incorrect impressions.
Connie & Chuck - I agree. I grew up south of the canal and lived and worked in Wilmington twice as an adult. After living over 25 years in different parts of the country we've retired to Center City, and I occasionally check into the DE forums. DJ is knowledgeable about his neighborhood, but less so once you get south of the canal, despite his sometimes professed knowledge. This is where RDLR shines. Suggest you balance his views with hers as I find he often exhibits a bias against the southern part of the state.

My guess, however, is that you are less interested in the internal p***ing matches of the DE forum posters than in finding a great place to live. You say you want to be midway between Philadelphia and the shore. Northern Delaware, while charming once you get out of the suburbs, is still the southern reach of the Philly metro area. One place that hasn't been mentioned is Middletown. From a distance, I've watched this sleeping and charming town take off. It's been a while since I've been there, but it might be a good fit for what you're looking for. I recall the old residential area almost having the feel of some of those more charming Bucks and Chester County towns. It's location, just south of the canal, gives you easy access to the amenities of both northern and southern Delaware.

There are lots of postings on Middletown you can search to learn more. Best of luck on your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
Charley, I think if you'll read my posts carefully you'll see that I'm not talking about affluence or lack of it but about differences in geography (piedmont vs coastal plain and marshland), population density (northern New Castle Co. vs DE below the C&D Canal), commercial amenities (ditto). I could just as well tell you that I prefer the geography of the Central Texas Hill Country to the South Texas Coastal Plain (where I was born BTW) -- would you then think I was merely expressing snobbery?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Middletown and other small DE towns have a very different aesthetic than the towns of eastern PA. Note: aesthetic is a neutral term, not a value judgement. PA towns show a predominance of brick construction and "Queen Anne" Victorian style along with American Gothic. DE towns show a predominance of frame construction with relatively less ornate Victorian features, and a simpler iteration of American Gothic. This isn't to say that the latter elements don't exist to some extent but they're much less pronounced than in PA towns of similar size.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:54 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
^^^ Agree, but "feel" is more than architecture. I should have elaborated: I'm talking about well-maintained historical homes within walking distance of local businesses.

Connie & Chuck - Given you live so close, I'm sure you'd enjoy a day trip to get your own impressions.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Given that "one picture is worth a thousand words", here's a rather incredible photographic journey through Delaware that has been in progress for several years now: xzmattzx's daily Delaware photo - SkyscraperCity

I haven't looked back at some of the earlier pages of the above thread in a while, but some of the earlier photos may have disappeared and be in need of Matt - the photographer/poster - refreshing them. In any case, it's a remarkably diverse collection of photography that illustrates some of the variety to be seen across the state.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:32 PM

103 posts, read 360,513 times
Dear Doctorjef, Thank you front the bottom of my heart.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM

103 posts, read 360,513 times
Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware