U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:37 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,058,067 times

Advertisements

I've never lived anywhere but Delaware; therefore, I really cannot compare our DMV to other states. However, I've always used the Georgetown DMV. No problems with the new one as far as efficiency--love it!!

I own an old '89 Jeep and I have had to get it inspected twice during the two years I've owned it. THAT has not been a cakewalk by any means. My newer car passes inspection without a hitch, but ohhhh...that Jeep!! It passes the safety inspection every time, but it fails emissions miserably. I had a complete tune-up done the first time (about $250) and it STILL failed. Spending over $200 qualified me for an emissions waiver though. I just took it through in December and it failed this time around as well. They made me install an entire new exhaust system (new Y-pipe, cat, whole nine yards) which cost me over $500 and it still failed emissions. Again, I qualified for a waiver with my proof of emissions-related repair receipts. However, Kent and New Castle Counties emissions waiver minimums are MUCH higher than Sussex's.

Raven--I know the feeling!! Luckily, this Jeep is my "beater" though. I'm moving to Florida in three years and will no longer have to deal with my Jeep and its emissions "issues" since they do not test emissions down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,058,067 times
....I was lucky enough to snag a low digit, porcelain tag when my parents moved to Virginia and gave me their old DE tag. Even luckier--I requested one when I tagged my Jeep and low and behold--I got one!!

Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 PM

22 posts, read 49,165 times
I just moved to DE from NJ about 1.5 months ago. I've been putting off the whole trip to the DMV, because my NJ registration and inspection is still valid(4 years for new car in NJ), and I will be trading my car in in a few months. I still don't quite understand the whole 3.75% transfer tax thing. My car is leased, would I still have to pay that fee? Would it be better to get it all done now, or wait until I'm ready to trade my car in? eggplat did u have to pay this fee?

Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 PM

388 posts, read 850,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh_cubed View Post
I just moved to DE from NJ about 1.5 months ago. I've been putting off the whole trip to the DMV, because my NJ registration and inspection is still valid(4 years for new car in NJ), and I will be trading my car in in a few months. I still don't quite understand the whole 3.75% transfer tax thing. My car is leased, would I still have to pay that fee? Would it be better to get it all done now, or wait until I'm ready to trade my car in? eggplat did u have to pay this fee?
Hi bh_cubed,

We, too, were thinking of waiting to do the whole DMV thing until we could move into our new house this summer and have a permanent address (so we wouldn't have to go through the address change thing twice). The DE DMV website does say new residents do have to apply within 60 days for licenses and nerd that I am, wanted to be a good person and get it done. What convinced us was a discussion with our car insurance co. When we cancelled our ME insurance and applied for DE coverage, he said we should go ahead and get registered in DE because, God forbid, if we got into an accident, that our having DE insurance on a ME car might raise suspicion in a police officer. Whether this is right or wrong is a moot question since one has to get registered anyway in the new state, so why not all at once?? Not sure if you would be liable for the 3.75% transfer tax on a leased car. We did pay it on our car, no way to get around it, everyone pays it.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 AM

22 posts, read 49,165 times
Hey eggplant,

Thanks for the response. I saw the 60 day thing too, and that was one of the big reasons why I was really considering doing it. I don't know what happens after 60 days. But I know people that have been living in DE for more than 60 days and still have out of state plates & registrations. I have kept everything in NJ as of now, driver's license, license plates, registration, and insurance, so I don't think it would be an issue during an accident, or traffic stop or something. I know, I'm going to have to pay the fee eventually, I'd just rather not have to pay it twice, on the car I have now, and on the one I will be buying in a few months when I trade my car in.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh_cubed View Post
I know, I'm going to have to pay the fee eventually, I'd just rather not have to pay it twice, on the car I have now, and on the one I will be buying in a few months when I trade my car in.
Makes sense to me. The reason we went ahead (other than my being a nerd ) with the process is that when we cancelled our ME homeowner's insurance when we closed, our car insurance is with the same company and the guy suggested we go ahead and get DE insurance for the date we would be arriving in the state. It was a very seamless transition (great company I probably can't name here but they have the BEST customer service I have ever experienced). Our car is over 10 years old so the transfer tax wasn't too hard to swallow.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 AM

Default vanity plate update

It has been over 6 weeks since we ordered our vanity (or specialty) plate from the Dover branch of the DMV and as of today we still do not have it. I placed a call about 3 weeks ago and was told a 4-6 week waiting period was to be expected. OK. After 6 weeks I called again and after being placed on hold for a short time, the DMV clerk said she would call back as she would have to investigate this. I went online and also posted my inquiry to the Customer Service dept. Never did hear back from the clerk but the next day I did get an email stating the order for my vanity plate never went through!! The sender apologized profusely and said the order would be put through "immmediately" and they would notify us when it is complete. Just a standard glitch, no harm done but makes me wonder how long we would have waited if I hadn't asked. I do remember checking the vanity plate availablity site the day after ordering it and it said that that combination was not available so we assumed it went through. What do they say about the word "assume" ?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,301,702 times
Plates in Delaware are very slow to come generally IME.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM

445 posts, read 1,286,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
It has been over 6 weeks since we ordered our vanity (or specialty) plate from the Dover branch of the DMV and as of today we still do not have it. I placed a call about 3 weeks ago and was told a 4-6 week waiting period was to be expected. OK. After 6 weeks I called again and after being placed on hold for a short time, the DMV clerk said she would call back as she would have to investigate this. I went online and also posted my inquiry to the Customer Service dept. Never did hear back from the clerk but the next day I did get an email stating the order for my vanity plate never went through!! The sender apologized profusely and said the order would be put through "immmediately" and they would notify us when it is complete. Just a standard glitch, no harm done but makes me wonder how long we would have waited if I hadn't asked. I do remember checking the vanity plate availablity site the day after ordering it and it said that that combination was not available so we assumed it went through. What do they say about the word "assume" ?
In '06 when I moved it took 8 weeks to get the vanities.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:35 AM

7,823 posts, read 10,488,585 times
I have read with great interest the "low digit" on the license plate discussions. As a NY'er who will relocate to De. next year can someone enlighten me on this? I am gathering it is a status symbol but don't know if it is also of other import. Thanks .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware