Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:03 PM

80 posts, read 196,743 times

Advertisements

In lower slower delaware........................around the Milton area................

What are your thoughts..........................

Here is Lancaster County where I perm. live, we have dent and bent stores? know what these are? they are discount grocery stores that sell canned goods, slightly damaged? close to expire date? or ripped labels, etc.

Cereals, spices, diapers, cleaning products, pasta, bulk foods, snack foods. etc. Dog/Cat food.

They do NOT offer fresh milk or a lunch meat(freshly slice) type of deal but do offer pre packaged items.

The one near me even has seconds of tastycakes on thursday's (when they arrive) for 1.00 / box.

Do you see a store like this needed in Milton area? lewes area?

I have a milton address as we recently bought a home there we use for vacation.

I just see the grocery stores as so expensive.

I would offer Lancaster County Lunch Meats, chips/pretzels/cheeses/ring bologna , etc in my meat case. All canned goods.........................cereals............. .pastas/sauces/soups, etc.
I need to know if there is a need?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
I would think the more lower middle class and poverty areas of Sussex would be the place to put such an operation. ISTM that the closest site would be in the seedier areas of Georgetown.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I would think the more lower middle class and poverty areas of Sussex would be the place to put such an operation. ISTM that the closest site would be in the seedier areas of Georgetown.
Put it in the poverty areas? The seedy areas? Geez the view from your ivory tower must be real pretty. But if you think that only "poor people" like the idea of saving on groceries ... well, let me not be insulting and just say that you are incorrect.

Byler's in Dover, and now also in Harrington, has a section of their store that they call "Grocery Outlet", which has the kind of selection to which Happy393 refers. I quote from the Byler's website:

"With grocery purchasing power through the close out market, we are able to offer national and store brand products at well below average pricing. Closeouts are available due to label changes, over productions, warehouse damage, or short codes. Our floors are stacked with canned fruits & vegetables, cereal, drinks, pet food, paper products, and snacks, not to mention the large frozen food & dairy selections"

I love shopping Byler's each time I visit Delaware because I never know what kind of bargain I might find. I look forward to being one of their regular customers next year.

And I do not consider myself lower-middle class, poor or seedy!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:25 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy393 View Post
In lower slower delaware........................around the Milton area................

What are your thoughts..........................

Here is Lancaster County where I perm. live, we have dent and bent stores? know what these are? they are discount grocery stores that sell canned goods, slightly damaged? close to expire date? or ripped labels, etc.

Cereals, spices, diapers, cleaning products, pasta, bulk foods, snack foods. etc. Dog/Cat food.

They do NOT offer fresh milk or a lunch meat(freshly slice) type of deal but do offer pre packaged items.

The one near me even has seconds of tastycakes on thursday's (when they arrive) for 1.00 / box.

Do you see a store like this needed in Milton area? lewes area?

I have a milton address as we recently bought a home there we use for vacation.

I just see the grocery stores as so expensive.

I would offer Lancaster County Lunch Meats, chips/pretzels/cheeses/ring bologna , etc in my meat case. All canned goods.........................cereals............. .pastas/sauces/soups, etc.
I need to know if there is a need?
TIA!
I think that need has been filled. I remember there being one of those outlet stores in Milton, but it closed about 10-15 years ago, and it didn't last long.

In Dover, there's Spence's Bazaar, which carries those products.... Day-old Little Debbies, other snacks, bread, pasta, soups and dented canned goods. They've done well because Spence's has many other shops, an Amish Bakery, butcher shop, fresh produce and an auction on Friday night.

Dollar Tree's presence in the retail world also fills that need, in Dover, Camden, and Rehoboth.They sell canned goods, snacks, bread, rolls, and much more. They even had a banner out front the other day in Dover, Frozen Steaks for $1.00

In New Castle County, that need has also been fulled....New Castle Farmers Market, and tons of Dollar Trees.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't hang my hat on that idea.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:37 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
IIn Dover, there's Spence's Bazaar, which carries those products.... Day-old Little Debbies, other snacks, bread, pasta, soups and dented canned goods. They've done well because Spence's has many other shops, an Amish Bakery, butcher shop, fresh produce and an auction on Friday night.
Ooooh I forgot about Spence's! Thanks. You're right.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
All the Dollar Tree stores that I ever see are in relatively seedy areas. And oh why yes, I just love to schlep around all over kingdom come looking for discount snack cakes while burning up fuel.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 PM

80 posts, read 196,743 times
Hey Doc. I feel you are out of line. I am not talking about out of date/code foods here. I am talking about overruns, over processed, close to out of date foods, etc.

Let me tell you about my deals today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Healthy Choice 100% WW wraps. .50
Brown farm raised eggs...............1.20 / dz
double smoked sweet bologna.............2.49/lb
san gorgio spaghetti 1 lb pkgs. 3/100
Hunts spag sc. 2/1.00
Bacon, double smoked. 1.40/lb

These are deals I could offer.

They are not out of code, They are not expired. The lables are on.

Tastycakes...............................1.00/box?

Really, don't be a debby downer here.....................................

You are obv a Dr. that is great. But for us middle class people. COST is a concern. Perhaps that is why I am not lower class. God Bless them!~ Just an idea. I don't expect to see you in my store.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:06 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
All the Dollar Tree stores that I ever see are in relatively seedy areas. And oh why yes, I just love to schlep around all over kingdom come looking for discount snack cakes while burning up fuel.
There is a Dollar Tree right down from "The Movies at Midway" on Rt 1. Real seedy low class area ?????

Old 03-04-2011, 05:16 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Happy.. It is a great idea. However I see a hugh turnover in independant businesses. Long Neck is not far from Milton and we have 2 shopping centers anchored by major supermarkets which have stores which have been sitting vacant since the centers were built 2 or more years ago. If you are going to go in a small independant busines down here look into lawn care. terrific market I am not kidding.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Happy.. It is a great idea. However I see a hugh turnover in independant businesses. Long Neck is not far from Milton and we have 2 shopping centers anchored by major supermarkets which have stores which have been sitting vacant since the centers were built 2 or more years ago. If you are going to go in a small independant busines down here look into lawn care. terrific market I am not kidding.
Childcare businesses seem in need and do well also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware