Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Unfortunately there are no good jobs to hold OUR young people here.
I know, Longnecker. Ours leave, don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Almost all of my good friends (and close family) left Sussex years ago, typically due to the lack of job opportunities. My closest friend lives in Salisbury, MD .

Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Has it been hard to make new friends with the people moving in? Also, what work did people use to do in Sussex before they left? Are the new people moving in seen as a welcome turn of events--or as something to resent? (Or, maybe a little of both?)

Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Well...where I live, it is mostly retirees. They are very friendly towards me and vice versa. Many of my friends left right after high school; they went away to college and never came back. Others attended college here, saw there were no jobs upon graduation, and left.

I had planned on moving away after college graduation as well since I wanted to work in the parks/forestry service. Jobs are few and far between here in that field for me, and most are upstate (no way--not moving back there!!). Life happened and I did not move.

I live in a transient area so I have just accepted that newcomers are a fact of life. Heck, I cannot blame them for moving here. It is very difficult to make friends for people in my age bracket (35-45) once your high school and college friends have moved away. Many people in their 30's (even 40's) at the beach area have very young children and are at a different place in life than we are. I do not know how to explain this without coming off wrong so I'll just leave it at that. I will say that if you are 50-over, then you will not have trouble finding people good, quality people to befriend in your age bracket who have the same interests and moved here from out-of-state as well. Some of the nicest people at the beaches are in the 50-over age bracket.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
It is very difficult to make friends for people in my age bracket (35-45) once your high school and college friends have moved away. Many people in their 30's (even 40's) at the beach area have very young children and are at a different place in life than we are. I do not know how to explain this without coming off wrong so I'll just leave it at that. I will say that if you are 50-over, then you will not have trouble finding people good, quality people to befriend in your age bracket who have the same interests and moved here from out-of-state as well. Some of the nicest people at the beaches are in the 50-over age bracket.
I totally understand about how hard it can be to make friends when most of the people aren't your age, and those who are in your age have kids in a very different age group. The same thing has happened to me, even in a much more densely populated area. It's one big reason I spend time on city-data.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Well...where I live, it is mostly retirees. They are very friendly towards me and vice versa. Many of my friends left right after high school; they went away to college and never came back. Others attended college here, saw there were no jobs upon graduation, and left.

I had planned on moving away after college graduation as well since I wanted to work in the parks/forestry service. Jobs are few and far between here in that field for me, and most are upstate (no way--not moving back there!!). Life happened and I did not move.

I live in a transient area so I have just accepted that newcomers are a fact of life. Heck, I cannot blame them for moving here. It is very difficult to make friends for people in my age bracket (35-45) once your high school and college friends have moved away. Many people in their 30's (even 40's) at the beach area have very young children and are at a different place in life than we are. I do not know how to explain this without coming off wrong so I'll just leave it at that. I will say that if you are 50-over, then you will not have trouble finding people good, quality people to befriend in your age bracket who have the same interests and moved here from out-of-state as well. Some of the nicest people at the beaches are in the 50-over age bracket.

Northern Delaware is the same way, we were the youngest parents on our little league team and we're 38 and 40. Northern Delaware especially in this area is older residents, its hard to find developments full of kids anymore. Most of our friends left for Middletown DE, PA, and New Jersey for the schools.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:47 PM

Thanks you two for chiming in...not happy you are going through the same deal, but at least it isn't just me.

I do enjoy living around an older population...just because I do. My good friends have all moved away and I'm kind of stuck with "what's left" in my age bracket--and many of them are very clique-ish if they have been here all their lives (as my husband and I have). Basically, if you weren't friends with them when you were younger, then that's that. Like I said, my good friends moved away and the ones left that I still talk to just are at a different place in life, or they just didn't do much with their lives in general. I like to be able to hang out with friends and not hear that they are too broke, down and out, their kids won't behave in public, etc. My son is almost 16 and we'll be empty nesters in a few years--before age 40. Very unique situation.

James--my sister lives in Holiday Hills and there are many families with young children--not sure how far you are from that location. Very nice neighborhood and she raves about it all the time; she has many friends there. But, she does agree that Holiday Hills is one of the few places with nice, younger children/families in the Brandywine Hundred within their price range. Lots of 50+ people live in many Brandywine Hundred developments, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware