U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:31 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,550,263 times

Advertisements

If you want cheap taxes, decent schools, a more stable economy and a nice house for 25% of what you'd pay here, look in TN. Try 1800 SF on 5 rolling acres with 2 car attached garage, 2 car detached garage and a pond for $139,000. That house would be $400-$500k here. That was 40 minutes north of Nashville, close to major shopping and close to one of the best medical facilities in the state. The only reason I'm not there is because I'm addicted to kitesurfing, which means being near the ocean.

Gee.....Really in Tennessee? I didnt' check the 55+ communities there and dont' know if they have them.

Anywhere near the beach is more expensive. I'm sure if you compare your home to a home around the New Jersery shore, you will find your home and expenses cheaper..........Don't you think?

We are up in Kent and it is not expensive here. Our community is a lot cheaper than one we were looking at in other states except for Florida but I dont' want to live in Florida. Crocidiles are becoming plentifull along with aligators. Plus the horrible humid heat for 9 months a year and hurricanes when they get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 08:18 AM

693 posts, read 2,613,223 times
[quote=rossc;1144295]Yes, I am, but I think that real estate state wide is overpriced for this states economy. I think Northern DE is better as far as housing costs, but worse as far as quality of living.

It depends a lot on where you're coming from. People from NJ come here and think they won the lottery. I came from NH and looked at my real estate agent and said "Are you f%^#ing nuts?". It's getting to where average folks can't afford to own a house. If the retirees would stop paying the inflated prices, maybe the market would correct itself.

But Kent county is in the middle of the state. Does not have the health risks of the northern part and the inflated prices near the beach in the southern part. Yet you are easily within reach of MD,and PA . You don't have to move to the boonies to be comfortable and content. I can understand the resentment of the natives when the population moves in and changes the landscape. This happend to us in PA . We we were in a country setting yet close to everything. then boom...developers came in and in a matter of 2 years time , most of the farms were gone.. It will not happen here in my lifetime. There is enough green, and ponds and waterways and sunrises and sunsets and blue skies in this area to share with anyone who wants to make the move.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:20 AM

332 posts, read 592,208 times
I really appreciate everyone's posts. I had looked on the boards here before about DE and didn't see a lot of positive posts but a friend just drove through Kent County on the way to OC recently and was talking about the houses and the spacing and just how pretty it was. I thought I would try again and see if I had missed something because, like I said, DE was someplace I had originally considered anyhow and location wise it seems perfect.

Ross, I looked at TN's real estate online once myself. It was VERY attractive. It's just farther from MD than I would like to be or I would have kept looking there myself.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:16 PM

199 posts, read 857,462 times
Rossc is right about TN. Some friends of ours just moved from AZ to TN. Much more house and land for the bucks. They had already taken an earlier trip to nose around, then made the decision to move. Western NC is also very resonable - Missouri as well. So, if you're not hooked on the water, as Rossc apparently is, there are cheaper places to live with ameneties to boot. I don't know the psychological attraction to the water, but you pay dearly just to look at it. My son-in-law paid 1800 a week last year to have an ocean view condo in Ocean City, MD. He would have paid half that a block or two away and to look at bay water instead of the Atlantic. Go figure. I mean, all you can see as far as the horizon goes, is water. My two cents.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 15,219 times
Hello everyone,
I'm new to your site and thankfully for your insights. My husband (he's already retired) and I are seriously considering relocating from Queens, New York to Felton,DE; after my retirement in 2 years. How is Felton? Does it flood much there? Are there any sewage/water treatment or poultry plants? We'd like to live in an a community with children and seniors alike. So, we're planning to visit Satterfield, a new development off Chimney Hill Road in the fall; which is between routes 12, 13 and 15. Does anyone know anything about this development? Many have written about the high cost of electricity in DE. Are any of you enrolled in the solar energy programs to generate your own electric and seat your own water? If so, how is it working out? If not why not? Are there any Nuclear energy plants in DE?
I'm confused about the land renting cost thing. If we purchased our home, doesn't the land come with it? How do you and what are the cost of travelling to and from NYC and Felton?

Old 07-26-2007, 12:59 PM

But Kent county is in the middle of the state. Does not have the health risks of the northern part and the inflated prices near the beach in the southern part. Yet you are easily within reach of MD,and PA . You don't have to move to the boonies to be comfortable and content.

I agree, Kent county is in the middle of the state and is cheaper than the beach area's yet we are only 35 min from the beach.

Also, as PA pointed out we are not far from Maryland and Pa.

I love the rural area with a lot of farms. natives say 5 years ago,it was not built up as much as now. I can't imagine it being much more rural especially since I'm a city girl.

The ride to MD is breathtaking with Beautiful farms, horse farms !

Old 07-26-2007, 02:22 PM

693 posts, read 2,613,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
The ride to MD is breathtaking with Beautiful farms, horse farms !

My husband travels quite a bit and he has his choice of either BWI or Philly.
He prefers BWI because of the scenery. I like to say that living here is more reasonable than in other areas of the state. To say that it is cheaper sounds so tacky. This area has too much to offer than to say it is just cheaper to live here.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:04 PM

I like to say that living here is more reasonable than in other areas of the state. To say that it is cheaper sounds so tacky. This area has too much to offer than to say it is just cheaper to live here.<<

Guess it does sound a tad tacky. But You know what I mean. Living is cheaper or reasonable and that is pretty much why my hub and I are here.
You are correct, this area does have a lot to offer.
Florida living is also cheaper or reasonable but that is what most seniors want.

Have you been to Modern Maturity? We are going for orientation July 30th. They have a lot to offer. Signed up for a few great trips and it is only $10 a person to join.
Our community is new. In fact, they are just putting in the walking trail now with cute bridges, ponds and benches.
We will have activities but they are slow to go. As of now I think we have 16 families. There will be 94 all together. there are a few that are not here yet so the count will be higher than 16.
Our activities director is now getting it togethe. We have committees for partiies, trip, excersis and games.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:02 PM

957 posts, read 3,325,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
I'm sure if you compare your home to a home around the New Jersery shore, you will find your home and expenses cheaper..........Don't you think?
Absolutely...and that's my point. Our inflated prices look good to someone coming from NJ so they happily pay. That's what is driving the prices up. If prices were based purely on this states economy and average wages, prices would be half what they are.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:22 PM

957 posts, read 3,325,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb from Queens, New York View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm new to your site and thankfully for your insights. My husband (he's already retired) and I are seriously considering relocating from Queens, New York to Felton,DE; after my retirement in 2 years. How is Felton? Does it flood much there? Are there any sewage/water treatment or poultry plants? We'd like to live in an a community with children and seniors alike. So, we're planning to visit Satterfield, a new development off Chimney Hill Road in the fall; which is between routes 12, 13 and 15. Does anyone know anything about this development? Many have written about the high cost of electricity in DE. Are any of you enrolled in the solar energy programs to generate your own electric and seat your own water? If so, how is it working out? If not why not? Are there any Nuclear energy plants in DE?
I'm confused about the land renting cost thing. If we purchased our home, doesn't the land come with it? How do you and what are the cost of travelling to and from NYC and Felton?
There a poultry plants everywhere. This is the chicken capital of the world...or so it seems. It never floods which surprising as flat as the state is. The state is pretty much free of natural disasters. Some communities rent you the land. You own the house but not the land. There are ups and downs to that. If you're renting land on the water, you can usually rent for a fraction of what a monthly mortgage would be on that same piece of land. If you are inland in one of these prefab communities, you could probably own land cheaper than you can rent it. It can also be tricky to mortgage a house on rented land.

I looked at a .29 acre lot today on a canal in Rehoboth. The asking price was $799,000...just for a buildable lot. That mortgage would be roughly $4500/month. I lease the same size lot on a canal for $1800/year. On the other end of the spectrum...one of my friends is looking at a small mobile in a park on about .15 acres of leased land not on the water. The land lease is $4800/year. You could buy that land and be paying much less than $400/month in mortgage payments.

The commute??? Yikes. I wouldn't do it. Maybe Amtrak. I'm not sure where the nearest terminal would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or