U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:18 AM

957 posts, read 2,294,536 times
They have a lot of hydro plants out west. that's very cheap power to produce. TN is the same way. TVA has hydro plants and nuclear plants. Here in the east the most common method of generating power is to burn coal. Coal costs money which raises rates.

Coops exist because the power company does not have a facilities to generate their own power so they have to buy it from another power company. Usually one power company owns the lines, poles, etc in your area, so you have to buy power from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 12:16 PM

199 posts, read 643,493 times
Cool Utility Rates

Elizamary,

You have to remember our winter temps rarely hit 32 degrees. It's mostly in the 40s and high 30s at night. Heat pumps work best in this climate. Some joker tried to market heat pumps back east many years ago until folks realized heat pumps are not very efficient below 32 degrees. Good ole' fashion radiator heat (hard to find nowadays); natural gas (we have no natural gas in this town); or oil fed furnaces work best back east and in colder climates.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:23 PM

15,508 posts, read 7,444,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Elizamary,

You have to remember our winter temps rarely hit 32 degrees. It's mostly in the 40s and high 30s at night. Heat pumps work best in this climate. Some joker tried to market heat pumps back east many years ago until folks realized heat pumps are not very efficient below 32 degrees. Good ole' fashion radiator heat (hard to find nowadays); natural gas (we have no natural gas in this town); or oil fed furnaces work best back east and in colder climates.

I know your winters are not like ours out here and they probably dont' last long.
We visited the Phoenix area last Sept. I believed we stayed in Mesa before heading to Flagstaff.
Arrived at Sky something airport.

We have gas heat and I have to say my bill in the winter was not bad at all. My first bill was in March for Feb and it was $40. Back home my bill in Feb ran at least $300.

Electric is high here. I didnt' realize cuz my bill was lower in comparsion to my large 3 story home in Philly. Here I have a rancher.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:14 PM

Elizamary,

It is Sky Harbor Airport or (PHX). When I quoted a $60.00 winter utility bill, that was the total because we only have electric. So, that included all appliances, heat, the works.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Elizamary,

It is Sky Harbor Airport or (PHX). When I quoted a $60.00 winter utility bill, that was the total because we only have electric. So, that included all appliances, heat, the works.
Gee, and why did you want to move back east? With bills that low, if you do move back, it's going to be a shock. Don't you think?

Yes, Sky Harbor. Not a bad airport.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 AM

Elizamary,

Not my idea. Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 PM

6 posts, read 12,973 times
Great information- just what I was looking for - folks who are snug n happy in a 55+ park-
I'm alone so it's safer-
Right now my bags are mentally packed to "leave CA" I've been here since 1974 [except for 3 years in S.C. which was gorgeous and economical but even the mosquitos were too hot to bite! Humidity ugh.......]
CA is ok - but it has gone sideways in the 55+ parks. The lower state folks are selling hi-dollar homes and coming up north - willing to pay higher land rent in these parks. The park owners are squeezing out their long term renters because of this.........I'm one of them....sigh
My son knows Delaware a bit because his dad lives in Bethany Beach.
However, I don't want to move there ..[ guess why - hahah]
We both want to leave CA - but will have to rent first then maybe I will find a modular park and he will go his way. but we have to start somewhere.
I'm browsing around here to see what is nice south of Ocean View - maybe inland a bit for my budget - probably cannot afford the beach scene.
Happy to find this site
All hints and tips are welcome - for my soon to be leavin CA goal.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving-CA View Post
My son knows Delaware a bit because his dad lives in Bethany Beach.
However, I don't want to move there ..[ guess why - hahah]
We both want to leave CA - but will have to rent first then maybe I will find a modular park and he will go his way. but we have to start somewhere.
I'm browsing around here to see what is nice south of Ocean View - maybe inland a bit for my budget - probably cannot afford the beach scene.
Happy to find this site
All hints and tips are welcome - for my soon to be leavin CA goal.
This forum is amazing. I wish I knew of it before we moved. There are a number of modular parks both manufactured and mobile.
The more southern DE you go the more you will pay. Although, there is one in Lewes DE called Sussex West that was reasonable in price. Homes are by bayside.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,645 times
I will be retiring from school teaching next year and my mother and I have been seriously considering moving out of Maryland (where we have lived for the past twenty years).
I read some of the posts about living in northern and southern Delaware and I find myself a little confused about the whole situation.
Our utilities (in northern Baltimore County) have skyrocked in the last year (whose hasn't?). My electric bill doubled (3-400/m0) and my oil deliveries went through the ceiling(and beyond)(from $400 to $800 / delivery).

We are considering Sussex County and probably a 3bdrm/2ba type of home. Can anyone tell me how my utilities compare to southern Delaware? I don't want to move from the frying pan to the fire.

All in all, the area sounds like a really nice place to live.

Thanks,
Daisysmom

Old 01-26-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcampbell652 View Post
I will be retiring from school teaching next year and my mother and I have been seriously considering moving out of Maryland (where we have lived for the past twenty years).
I read some of the posts about living in northern and southern Delaware and I find myself a little confused about the whole situation.
Our utilities (in northern Baltimore County) have skyrocked in the last year (whose hasn't?). My electric bill doubled (3-400/m0) and my oil deliveries went through the ceiling(and beyond)(from $400 to $800 / delivery).

We are considering Sussex County and probably a 3bdrm/2ba type of home. Can anyone tell me how my utilities compare to southern Delaware? I don't want to move from the frying pan to the fire.

All in all, the area sounds like a really nice place to live.

Thanks,
Daisysmom
We moved from Pa a year ago (can't believe this) to Kent county. My bills were cut in half. Of course we downsized......went from a large 3 story twin to a small rancher.
Taxes I"m sure WILL be cheaper than MD.
As for Sussex County, I can't really say but from what I heard taxes are a bit high? but then again, I really don't know.
You really need to do some exploring. Come and Check it out. What type of home are you looking for? Are you looking for a community type living such as 55+ or any other type of community?
Looking for a single home with a lot of ground?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware