U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 PM

36 posts, read 175,948 times

Advertisements

Please note that this thread was started in 2007

Looking forward to retirement in about 4 yrs. Currently live in Baltimore suburbs and considering moving to Sussex county DE. for retirement. My wife and I are 1 of 5 families sharing ownership of a house in Ocean City MD., so don't want to locate too far from that, but can't wait to get out of Maryland! Looking to live in lower DE., but not too close to the coast because of high housing costs and property taxes. Don't care about schools (kids are grown & through college), and want to avoid heavy population areas with crime and congestion. Plan on downsizing home to single-level 2-3 bedroom with 1-2 car garage and SMALL lot. I'm a golfer, so I want course choices in area, and will probably join a private club in time.
Any suggestions of subdivisions or small towns that might meet some of this criteria would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-25-2019 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 03:18 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,560,082 times
there are several communities in Kent County and Sussex County that are 55+.
Do you wish to own the land or rent?

PA could offer you information on Johnathans landing. I think there is a golf course there.
We live in Southern Meadows in Magnoli which is about 35 min. from the beaches.

We have a lot rent and do not own the land but do not pay the high real estate tax.

Our homes are single family running from 1376 sq to 1800 sq. There are 2 bedrooms and an extra room for a bedroom or den.
2 car garage, pool, clubhouse and not far from a load of stores and Dover Downs.
It is quiet and rural and we love it.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:46 AM

199 posts, read 858,536 times
Scriv,

Elizamary always has sunny and good info. She and her husband are happier than a pig in sunshine. I've always liked Catonsville, on the west side of town. I grew up on the east side. Now I'm in sunny and hot Arizona and doing some serious thinking about moving to Delaware primarily to be closer to family members who are still in MD. Good luck and do a lot of research. You're close enough to travel there and roam around awhile. Unfortunately, I'm a bit far for that. But, I'm working on it.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Thanks

Appreciate the info elizamary, haven't given any thought to the land lease or buy decision...don't know the pros & cons of each yet. We have a good size house which we plan on selling when we come to DE., so we will have the $$ to buy the land. What went into your decision to lease? Your house & community (I like the 55+ concept, and yard service) sounds like what we will be looking for, but it's still 4+ yrs. away. I'll be watching this forum for future info.

Peeweeaz, we LOVE our home and the Catonsville area (the wife has never lived elsewhere)...unfortunately, this one-party state punishes you, financially, for being a citizen. Don't see that, or the horrendous crime/murder rate in Baltimore, or the traffic congestion getting better in the future. We like the financial benefits of Delaware living, and the fact that it's close to our beach house in O.C., MD, and it has some nice rural areas not too far from the Dover area. Both my wife and I like the change in seasons so FL, AZ,etc. are out. Good luck with your search...stay away from D.C. and Baltimore city.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriv View Post
Appreciate the info elizamary, haven't given any thought to the land lease or buy decision...don't know the pros & cons of each yet. We have a good size house which we plan on selling when we come to DE., so we will have the $$ to buy the land. What went into your decision to lease? Your house & community (I like the 55+ concept, and yard service) sounds like what we will be looking for, but it's still 4+ yrs. away. I'll be watching this forum for future info.
My husband and I decided on a 55+ community with all the extras about 2 years before I retired.
We know people that have resided in them. One person has for 25 years in Florida.
We are not loaded but wanted the lifestyle. hehehe. For the least amount of money.

We researched 55+ communities from Fl, Az, SC, NC, PA and De. With all the figures in black and white, this community offered us exactly what we wanted for less money in lot rent and price of home.
Even though we pay lot rent, Our taxes are only $284 a year. We paid $2200 on our other home.
Plus we have the use of the pool, activities, gym and they cut our grass and remove our snow.
My husband is not a ball of fire......heheh, so I wanted the least amount of work on our new home that we could.

It is a personal choice and only one you can decide what is right for you and your lifesyle.

We knew this was what we wanted as soon as I retired and we are loving ev ery minute of it. Hit the gym in the morning, Pool in the afternoon or a trip here and there.
Peeweeaz said it all, happy as 2 pigs in ****. Opps. Maybe she said sunshine. sorry!
Like she said, do you research and ask a lot of question. Try to envision what you want your life to be like when you retire and make it happen.

2 years ago, we never thought we would have exactly what we wanted, a brand new home in a wonderful community with everything we wanted.
We had a lot fo debt due to health problems and circumstances. But we found a way, made a little on our home and paid off all my debt and was able to move into the life we have wanted for the past 2 years.

I truly feel an abundance of gratitued after struggling for so long.

Good luck.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-25-2019 at 07:45 AM..

Old 07-25-2007, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,864 times
I live in PA, 4 miles from the Wilmington, DE boeder on one acre secluded. My school, twp & real estate taxes are a little over 5000.00 a year, ouch. My sister lived in Reno, NV & just recently moved to a very lovely modular home park in Newark, DE. Her real estate taxes are 200.00 a year. Her home is 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, L.D. & K & family room, nice little front porch & a LARGE wooden shed out back. Her home is so nice, actually beautiful & not a single room is small. I am planing to make the same move within the next two or three years. If your retired Delaware is the place to go, taxes are so low & there is no sales tax either. Forgot to say her ground rent is 450.00 a month, includes trash pick up & cable TV & maybe something else, but not sure. As it is now I have to put away 400.00 a month just to pay my taxes. Her house cost 70,000.00, most are less. Her's was a bit more because of the family room addition. My house, which is paid off, will sell for about 300.000.00 so after buying a modular I will have plenty to invest in a money market account that will pay me enough interest to cover my 450.00 monthly fee. To me it's a win, win situation. I think you are making a great decision to move to Delaware. Check out those modular parks, you might be suprized how much you will like them.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 23,368 times
Default Smyrna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriv View Post
Looking forward to retirement in about 4 yrs. Currently live in Baltimore suburbs and considering moving to Sussex county DE. for retirement. My wife and I are 1 of 5 families sharing ownership of a house in Ocean City MD., so don't want to locate too far from that, but can't wait to get out of Maryland! Looking to live in lower DE., but not too close to the coast because of high housing costs and property taxes. Don't care about schools (kids are grown & through college), and want to avoid heavy population areas with crime and congestion. Plan on downsizing home to single-level 2-3 bedroom with 1-2 car garage and SMALL lot. I'm a golfer, so I want course choices in area, and will probably join a private club in time.
Any suggestions of subdivisions or small towns that might meet some of this criteria would be appreciated. Thanks
Smyrna is a nice area they have golf courses in Dover and Middletown you would be in the Middle. Good Luck

Old 07-26-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjane View Post
My sister lived in Reno, NV & just recently moved to a very lovely modular home park in Newark, DE. Her real estate taxes are 200.00 a year. Her home is 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, L.D. & K & family room, nice little front porch & a LARGE wooden shed out back. Her home is so nice, actually beautiful & not a single room is small. I am planing to make the same move within the next two or three years. If your retired Delaware is the place to go, taxes are so low & there is no sales tax either. Forgot to say her ground rent is 450.00 a month, includes trash pick up & cable TV & maybe something else, but not sure. As it is now I have to put away 400.00 a month just to pay my taxes. Her house cost 70,000.00, most are less. Her's was a bit more because of the family room addition. My house, which is paid off, will sell for about 300.000.00 so after buying a modular I will have plenty to invest in a money market account that will pay me enough interest to cover my 450.00 monthly fee. To me it's a win, win situation. I think you are making a great decision to move to Delaware. Check out those modular parks, you might be suprized how much you will like them.
Ain't that something!!! This is what I have been talking about all along. Our home is actually a manufactured home and we are in a 55+ community. Our home ran $118 but that is pretty much the cheapest for a brand new home in a 55+ community.
Our lot rent is only $365 a month and it includes everything except for cable.

We don't own the land but who cares. We don't but I know some would rather own the land and with it comes higher taxes and up keep. We are getting older and don't want to be saddled with a lot of extra work. Some day we may not be able to and it may be a big headache. So For us this is the way to go.
To each his own. Both my husband and I were struggling with our home. he had gotten ill and it was too much. I was working and dragging my butt. We knew people that bought manufactured homes in communities and were amazed at how cheap and nice. 2 years ago, we knew this was for us. No doubt about it.
We looked at homes in the $200 to $300 bracket and decided we did not want to be house poor. Even if we had the money, why put it in a home like that when you can have just as nice a home for $2 grand less?
I'm done with keeping up with the jones. Now is the time to enjoy life.

BTW.........I take it your sister lives in an all age community. WE did not want that cuz of the kids and noise. Also, we relate to our neighbors and have so much in common.
But that is a personal choice. Communities that are not 55+ are much cheaper and just as nice. I was considering this but after much thought both my husband and I decided not to. We have activies here that suite us perfectly.

Will be going to the Delaware state fair this morning. Seniors are free

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-25-2019 at 07:47 AM..

Old 07-26-2007, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the advice/feedback. I too can see the advantages to a 55+ community, even if it costs a little more. From what I have read on here to this point, it sounds like the ground rent vs. buy decision is a financial one, BUT it seems the bottom line is; if buying outright won't present a financial burden then that is the way to go...if buying your lot might prevent you taking that cruise or trip to visit the grandkids, then renting is better. Does that sound about right?
I know the legislature in Maryland is trying to outlaw ground rents in personal real estate dealings, because of increased abuses lately.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:18 AM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
There are places in between Georgetown, Delaware and Rehoboth Beach that seem very affordable. If you want really small towns, Delmar located on the MD-DE border is very close to Ocean City and Wicomico County. They are building new subdivisions all the time for better or worse.

Most of Sussex County is very affordable. My parents are trying to retire there too though they are also considering North Carolina. The advatnage with Delaware is that there are fewer hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or