Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:15 PM

201 posts, read 412,928 times

Advertisements

How bad are the stink bugs in Delaware, particularly around the Middletown area? I'm in Baltimore now and they're starting to come out again now that it's spring which got me to wondering. They've been horrible here in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 PM

9,695 posts, read 14,179,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin730 View Post
How bad are the stink bugs in Delaware, particularly around the Middletown area? I'm in Baltimore now and they're starting to come out again now that it's spring which got me to wondering. They've been horrible here in Maryland.
They are bad where I live, which is outside Dover. Yes, the warm weather has brought them out and it looks like they've multiplied quite a bit. I've been to neighbors' homes in my area, and I've visited friends in other Kent County towns. They are bad every place I've been. We have relatives who live just over the Delaware line in Pennsylvania, and they are bad there, too....maybe worse. I wouldn't care if they stayed outside, but they manage to get inside. I can't stand them!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,934,120 times
They're bad here in Greenville/Westover Hills north of the City of Wilmington. They seem to get into the house as if by magic and you need to pick them up with a paper towel or whatever before flushing them down the toilet (or otherwise disposing of them). There was a recent article in the state's main newspaper, the News-Journal, about DE's plague of these insects and experiments underway at UD to use a species of tiny non-stinging wasps to eradicate the stink bugs (apparently the wasps parasitize the stink bugs for purposes of incubating their larvae, IIRC). So I think they're bad pretty much all over the state, but OTOH they're nowhere near as bad as roaches or crickets that you have other places (like Austin, TX to name one).

Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 PM

347 posts, read 860,766 times
I live in Middletown and have noticed over the past few days that the Stink Bugs are back! Last year I would often find dozens of them around the front door in the morning. On a few occasions a couple of them made their way into the house. Someone suggested that I spray Lysol around the door and I have to say that it seemed to keep them away.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,894,530 times
Stink bugs appear everywhere I go. I think they like me

Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,894,530 times
Stink bugs appear everywhere I go; I think they like me.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM

I spoke with an exterminator about the problem, and he told me they hybernate and breed in the areas where vinyl siding is put together, or even wood siding which I have. Then they get in the house that way. Also, any tiny little space where the windows are framed ... they can get in. He said exterminating won't do any good, because we are infested with them. I saw the wasp article in the paper and wish they'd hurry up!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:25 PM

201 posts, read 412,928 times
Ugh . . . I had this irrational hope that they wouldn't be there for some reason.

Our apartment complex sent out an exterminator last fall who sprayed a chemical called Suspend around our doors and windows and that cut back on the number getting inside a fair amount. You can also spray them with a mix of blue Dawn and water and that will kill them. We flush them, but not until they're already dead; a friend has a horror story about one flying out of the toilet and landing on her butt the next time she sat down.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin730 View Post
a friend has a horror story about one flying out of the toilet and landing on her butt the next time she sat down.
That can happen. My horror story is waking up in the middle of the night last summer with one on my face.

Sleep tight, everyone!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,868,285 times
We had a couple last year and I haven't seen one this year yet. I live in Middletown, too.

but - got my first mosquito bite - they are EARLY !! last year I did not have a single bite until the end of May
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware