U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:35 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,974,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
I could not find any current numbers (and don't have the time for further research right now ...)
i think it was Charley, who once posted, the numbers decreased from 2001 to 2004 - but - no matter if the overall % de/increase - fact is, there are several clusters in DE and since I have chance now, I am going to move my family somewhere else.
I personally would not pick DE for my number # retirement place - yes, costs might be less then they are in the surrounding states ... but is it worth it ?
Well, whatever the current rates are, they are going to increase by one person next year because I'm moving in and bringing my cancer with me. That has nothing to do with Delaware ... I got it in New York.

According to the Delaware Cancer Consortium: "Although our cancer incidence is still above the national average, that number has dropped. It’s part of a downward trend we’re seeing nationally. For breast cancer, our incidence rates are now below the national average. Mortality rates nationally and in Delaware are lower overall." The consortium website, including their plan and progress reports can be seen at http://www.delawarecancerconsortium....cer-Consortium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 AM

643 posts, read 1,289,812 times
Thanks Queen.

If one googles "cancer clusters in southern delaware" the first result includes a letter from the Sierra Club to the Chair of the Delaware Public Service Commission that recaps a Sierra Club presentation before the Delaware Cancer Consortium on August 13 of 2007. Great info inside that letter. http://depsc.delaware.gov/electric/irp/pc_111607.pdf

The two largest polluters in Delaware are the coal burning power plants (IRPP and Edge Moor).

Does not sound to me that Delaware is doing enough to address environmental and public health issues.

According to the Sierra Club, the Indian River Power Plant's (IRPP) increases in coal delivered from 2002 - 2006 was 733,355 tons (approximately 10,476 hopper car loads) which means greater quantities of fly ash and bottom ash on the plant's landfill.

Thanks again for the info Queen (on this and the other thread). Rehoboth is still on my top 3 list but I want a lot more information!

Last edited by Sunday1; 04-28-2011 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 AM

7,324 posts, read 10,754,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
I think the downward trend is as undefined and raw (& suspicious) as the cluster stat. Is the cluster 100% lung cancer? There's so much more to this issue.
Here's something for you to read in your spare time.
http://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/dp...rt_2002-06.pdf

Meanwhile, the caravans of people continue to move into Delaware. Just a wild thought....Do you think all the retirees who've moved here from elsewhere are included in the stats? Or, do you think the cancer reports have eliminated that large percentage of the Delaware population? Something to think about, wouldn't you say?

Queen - good luck with your renters.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Do you think all the retirees who've moved here from elsewhere are included in the stats? Or, do you think the cancer reports have eliminated that large percentage of the Delaware population? Something to think about, wouldn't you say?
The statistics are based on the physical location of treatments. So if I relapse and need to repeat treatments after I move in, I will be considered a new cancer patient in Delaware, even though the first incidence of disease was in New York. This is true of all survivors who move from state to state, but I'm thinking that this is probably a very small percentage of the overall state statistics.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Here's something for you to read in your spare time.
http://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/dp...rt_2002-06.pdf

rdlr,

184 pages! Haha. I had some insomnia last night, so I think you've just sent me a cure if it reoccurs tonight!

Seriously, thanks. I will in fact read it....

Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
The statistics are based on the physical location of treatments. So if I relapse and need to repeat treatments after I move in, I will be considered a new cancer patient in Delaware, even though the first incidence of disease was in New York. This is true of all survivors who move from state to state, but I'm thinking that this is probably a very small percentage of the overall state statistics.
Fascinating. As a stats prof of mine used to say "garbage in....garbage out"

Congrats on beating yours!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Looks very comprehensive. Yes, you know I'll be reading it being the data junkie that I am ... lol. Thanks so much.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
Congrats on beating yours!
Thanks so much. I'm definitely heading in the right direction.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 AM

7,324 posts, read 10,754,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Looks very comprehensive. Yes, you know I'll be reading it being the data junkie that I am ... lol. Thanks so much.
Actually, I think it borders on "overload" and I posted it tongue in cheek. Too much information for me.

My immediate dilemma is quite troublesome. I lost $40 at the slots this morning, and am pondering what time I should go back to the slots tonight to win it back.

Other Concern - Thunderstorm warning in effect in Kent County, Delaware right now. Storm is coming from Queen Anne's County, Maryland.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
My immediate dilemma is quite troublesome. I lost $40 at the slots this morning, and am pondering what time I should go back to the slots tonight to win it back.
I agree. Terrible problem.

But it's Thursday. That's Prime Rib night. I think you guys should go have a wonderful dinner ... and then go out to the floor and win your money back, and then some!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or