U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:37 PM

643 posts, read 772,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
...this was an interesting comment made by a real estate agent
"whether some ****** chooses to buy or not buy a property"
No kidding. I hope I'm never one of his "shmucks" (er, I mean - clients!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 04:11 PM

604 posts, read 1,187,608 times
That comment will only bother *******s ....... who shamelessly, openly doubt a professsional opinion as some sales pitch ..... Every person is not necessarily MY client just because s/he claims to be a buyer ..... rdlr being tangentially related person to RE business who is handed real buyers on a platter, has, perhaps, a luxury of not having a discerning attitude.

Last edited by armx; 04-29-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 04:18 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,945,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
Yeah, but the plural of anecdote is not data.

I take it with a grain of salt. We drink filtered or bottled water. I was a bit concerned before we moved here, but really? In the grand scheme of things, even with the increased stats, the odds of developing cancer are really small.
well, those were the two one's I talked to right after we moved. as soon as you START talking about health concerns, you hear more and more (from people who are concerned too ....). also here on the forum

and - it's not only anecdotes - Middletowns cancer rate was 47% above the already high number we have in Delaware.

let's put it this way: I guess everybody agrees on the fact, it is not GOOD for your health, having a lot of chemical plants and a nuclear plant close to you ?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:37 PM

so I thought I would bring this topic back to basics and ask for your opinion ...

we have a family, very interested in the house, making really good money (employed over 25, same company) but have a really bad Credit History (sickness three years ago, now house up for a short sale ....)

they would sign for 2+ years ... of course attempting to us, since we will be living so far away.

right now there are SO many homes up for short sale or foreclosure .... I think it's getting harder and harder to find tenants with a good credit history - why would they rent a (kind of expensive) house when they could be buying (besides relocation) ?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:10 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,744,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
so I thought I would bring this topic back to basics and ask for your opinion ...

we have a family, very interested in the house, making really good money (employed over 25, same company) but have a really bad Credit History (sickness three years ago, now house up for a short sale ....)

they would sign for 2+ years ... of course attempting to us, since we will be living so far away.

right now there are SO many homes up for short sale or foreclosure .... I think it's getting harder and harder to find tenants with a good credit history - why would they rent a (kind of expensive) house when they could be buying (besides relocation) ?
Just my opinion, but....If they have a very bad credit history they really can't buy anything.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 PM

so since someone can't afford to buy, he might be a long term tenant, since there is no other option for quite a while ? is that what you are saying ?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:20 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,744,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
so since someone can't afford to buy, he might be a long term tenant, since there is no other option for quite a while ? is that what you are saying ?
"might"..is a risky word. With the economy being so shaky and jobs in jeopardy (no matter how long on the job) nothing is guaranteed. I wish we all had crystal balls, and hope this turns out for you, queen.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:40 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,406,387 times
I know someone personally (i.e me) that doesn't have a great credit history, and its one of the reasons that we are renting. I was able to rent quickly because of my job and a letter to my landlord of what transpired to put us in the situation that we got ourselves in. We made mistakes and $6000.00 for a pair of hearing aids doesn't help either, being we have two kids that need them plus both of my kids are on their third pair each. just for my kids we have about $40,000.00 tied up and they are only 9 and 11. I would treat each situation differently and decide for yourself who you guys like the best.

btw.... I wish I had known that you were renting, especially in Middletown, before I signed another year.

and more, We gave 1st, and last months rent up front plus a security deposit and pet deposit. Our rent is $1500.00 per month. Our security deposit was $1500 and our pet deposit was a $1000.00. Our pet is a Yellow Labrador.

Hope this helps queenie.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:04 AM

thanks for much for you personal input, James, I really appreciate that. I wasn't sure, if it was ok to 'promote' our house here on CD.
at least I started this thread 'renting or selling' a while ago

your situation is one, so many find themselves in right now ....

I am just wondering, why his particular family isn't looking for a smaller house around 1500/1600 dollars. ours is going to be more over 2000 (big house with pool .... so additional utilities ...)

In this situation I simply would look for something cheaper and save up some money. saving 700 dollars in rent each month .. that would be start.

again, thanks for your input

Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 AM

643 posts, read 772,872 times
Have you met them yet Queen? We are renters in our 50s. A corporate relo 18 months ago yet we decided to rent for 2 years until we were more familiar with this part of the country (New England). Are your candidates local? We are so glad we didn't buy or build becuase we are now questioning whether or not we want to retire in this area at all. Probably not. Anyway...it's just the 2 of us and the owner wasn't sure why we wanted a 5 bdrm nearly 5K sq ft house! (We both work from home and have 2 home offices plus a daughter who comes home from college for the summers). The realtor set up a meeting during our relocation trip. We both had lots of questions and I doubt we would have chosen it if we hadn't met the owner. Once we did we quickly realized it was a perfect match. And for what it's worth we never even completed an application! Just got together and signed the lease. We're great friends now and have taken better care of the house (according to him) than he used to himself. As I said, we had a realtor, but what mattered most to the success of the match was the personal meeting.

The credit thing is a slippery slope. But if they have enough income that the rent is affordable then I'd let them decide what they want to do to recover (?) Tough decision, I'm sure! There was something on another part of city-data recently about the increasingly high percentage of renters who are high income as a result of the mortgage market's implosion. Above or even high income renters who lost homes for which they had crazy mortgages and/or people with high medical expenses. Even insurance doesn't mean a medical emergency can't wipe people out with the deductibles and copayments. But that's another thread.

Hope whatever happens, you find a perfect match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware