U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 PM

2,627 posts, read 2,355,134 times
Default Sussex County Property taxes

Obviously no one has a crystal ball, but is there anyone well versed in the property tax of Sussex county that can give me a sense of the likelihood of the 1974 assessment going the way of the half gallon of ice cream? Is it too big of a political risk for it to happen? Any sense of how high it could go if approved?

In my home county, our assessed valuation had been based upon 1938 values, (not a typo, 1938) until the past seven years during which period we have been steadily increased annually. Our killer taxes, here, are our school taxes more so than property taxes, which would not be the same in Delaware. I am trying to do proper due diligence before a big move. Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 07:24 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,187,419 times
We pay $1100/year in property taxes, and we live in Ocean View. Our taxes jumped from $550 to $1100/year when our home was connected to the sewer expansion project. I don't mind that they doubled; I am just relieved to be connected to central sewer!!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 PM

111 posts, read 130,576 times
I'm moving from Bucks County, PA where I pay 10,000.00 per year in taxes. This is the reason I'm moving to Delaware. 1,700.00 is what my new tax bill will be. Are taxes going up considerably in the state?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:45 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,187,419 times
$10,000/year-yikes!!

Taxes and have been going up here at the beach....

Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 AM

49 posts, read 55,468 times
I am currently paying 6K in MD....Were we are buying (Harbeson) taxes will be 1200 plus 1200 HOA fees. We are not selling our MD properties. One is leased and plan to lease our current residence. Market is too soft to sell. Kind of a gamble but that's what makes life interesting.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:33 AM

4,494 posts, read 5,392,678 times
Sussex County is due for an increase, since they haven't reassessed since 1974. Here are the rates for each county:

Sussex - $0.3983 per hundred dollars of assessed value
Last assessment 1974

Kent - $0.310 per hundred dollars of assessed value
Last assessment 1987

New Castle - $0.7018 per hundred dollars of assessed value
Last assessment 1983

This is another reason I enjoy Kent County. My total property taxes (county and town) = $810/year, which also includes trash pickup twice/week and all town services, including conversations with strolling town policemen and town activities. I'm a No Homeowners Association type of person. Or, you could call me a cheapskate.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:54 PM

2,627 posts, read 2,355,134 times
Perhaps, I need to restate the question. I know what he taxes are currently, and also that there has not been a reassessment since 1974. What I am trying to find out is, have there been any meaningful conversations about reassessing the Sussex county area? If so, can someone give me the gist of those conversations. or has it been deemed too much of a political hot potato to go ahead with? For example, are there current discussion to raise the taxes in the next few years? Any idea of the parameters of such an increase? Opinion on the likelihood of it happening?
Thank you.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Perhaps, I need to restate the question. I know what he taxes are currently, and also that there has not been a reassessment since 1974. What I am trying to find out is, have there been any meaningful conversations about reassessing the Sussex county area?
The answer is YES, there have been plenty of meaningful conversations (and arguments) regarding reassessing Sussex County properties, and they have taken place at Levy Court Meetings. I would suggest that you google Sussex County Levy Court Minutes and you can follow all the discussions that have taken place over many years. There's a lot of reading to do.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:05 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,792,445 times
Interesting. I thought only Kent still had a "court of levy" as far as its county council is called. Does Sussex also have a levy court and is it the same thing as the county council/commissioners?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Interesting. I thought only Kent still had a "court of levy" as far as its county council is called. Does Sussex also have a levy court and is it the same thing as the county council/commissioners?
That's the problem with we natives. We tend to hold on to past expressions, and the way our State/Counties have operated. Check these dates within the following link - 1903, 1915, 1970. A few changes, but basically the same.
Sussex County, Delaware - History

Newcomers should know that if they have a specific question regarding a County in Delaware, they can call commissioners or levy court members for firm answers. This is general practice within our state, and members are easily accessible and friendly. Here are the commissioners in Sussex County, and they can answer assessment questions.
Sussex County, Delaware - County Council

If the above is not something people want to do, listen to a live broadcast of a Sussex County Council Meeting.
http://www.sussexcountyde.gov/e-service/broadcast/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware