Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:29 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,332,327 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking in Cape May County off-island for a new home - HOWEVER, so many people keep insisting that I investigate DE before making a final decision. I've only been to Lewes once, but I'm not looking for a "bustling" resort town in which to live, but a more quiet place where the beach is a 10-15-minute drive (and dog-friendly off season).

I'n not really into family developments but perhaps something a bit more rural with a half to a full acre for my pooches. I was thinking of spending a couple of days in DE somewhere with one of the canines - just to check it out. Was hoping for a place no more than 3 hours away from SE PA where I have family. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:55 AM

9,685 posts, read 14,159,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I'm currently looking in Cape May County off-island for a new home - HOWEVER, so many people keep insisting that I investigate DE before making a final decision. I've only been to Lewes once, but I'm not looking for a "bustling" resort town in which to live, but a more quiet place where the beach is a 10-15-minute drive (and dog-friendly off season).

I'n not really into family developments but perhaps something a bit more rural with a half to a full acre for my pooches. I was thinking of spending a couple of days in DE somewhere with one of the canines - just to check it out. Was hoping for a place no more than 3 hours away from SE PA where I have family. Any suggestions?
Milton, Delaware may be a good choice. It's about 9-10 miles north of Lewes, and that 9-10 mile stretch is mostly rural, with some non-development properties for sale. Also, look a couple miles west of Milton, towards Ellendale. Good Luck!
Historic Milton Delaware

Old 04-13-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Milton, Delaware may be a good choice. It's about 9-10 miles north of Lewes, and that 9-10 mile stretch is mostly rural, with some non-development properties for sale. Also, look a couple miles west of Milton, towards Ellendale. Good Luck!
Historic Milton Delaware
Looks interesting. Now how would you say Milton differs from Milford in terms of appeal?

Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,924,208 times
Milton has many fine old Victorian houses, some of which can still be picked up for a song. These will require some modernisation by most people's standards. They typically had mid-20th Century improvements but may not have had much done lately. You can get some of those babies for under 200K. This won't last. Milton will be the next Lewes. Although not as old as Lewes ("the First Town in the First State"), Milton seems to have been a centre of political gravity in lower Delaware during the 19th Century and many of those home belonged to men who served as governor and to members of their families. There is a good deal of new home construction going on around Milton and the Dogfish Head Craft Brewery is there. Milton will definitely continue to grow. It isn't literally a beach town but does have water, an historic commercial area, and some lovely old houses. I think you'll find Milford to be historically more of an agricultural hub with a less appealing setting and by no means a beachy place.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 AM

728 posts, read 1,776,625 times
Quote:
HOWEVER, so many people keep insisting that I investigate DE
You will SAVE TONS of money living in DE over NJ...

That and traffic round-abouts drive me nuts!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:16 AM

Round-abouts are GOOD! Americans just need to learn to use them.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Looks interesting. Now how would you say Milton differs from Milford in terms of appeal?
Milton is much closer to the beach area 10-12 minutes, and Milford is about 20-25 minutes from the beach. That travel distance to the beach translates in to higher property values closer to the beach. Milford, although a small city, is spread over 2 counties with Kent and Sussex counties divided by the Mispillion River. Miford has a large number of rental units, mostly older homes with 2-3 units in each. Within the last few years the downtown area has been improved and is very picturesque with new brick sidewalks, lamp posts, landscaping and such.The Riverwalk area, along the Mispillion, is a big draw, and Milford has some very nice festivals and community events. 5 minutes out of the City of Milford, you'll find yourself in a rural area (very much like Milton). Plenty of real estate for sale, 1/2 - 3 acre properties, more reasonably priced than Milton.
Milford, DE - Official Website

Contrary to what's been said above, Milford has a lovely historic district.
http://downtownmilford.org/
and
http://archives.delaware.gov/markers/kc/KC-92.shtml

and, this event is on my calendar (might interest some) Flower Market at Silver Hill
http://www.delawarescene.com/event.php?id=4863

Last edited by rdlr; 04-13-2011 at 07:36 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the links, rdlr. It looks like Milford may have experienced more restoration and commercial usage of its old downtown area than Milton has yet. I think Milton has tremendous potential but it is still a little low on amenities. It's very well-located, though, to the beaches and the amenities in Lewes. I wonder if there are as many fine old properties on the market in Milford and how they might compare in asking price to ones on the market in Milton?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Milton is much closer to the beach area 10-12 minutes, and Milford is about 20-25 minutes from the beach. That travel distance to the beach translates in to higher property values closer to the beach. Milford, although a small city, is spread over 2 counties with Kent and Sussex counties divided by the Mispillion River. Miford has a large number of rental units, mostly older homes with 2-3 units in each. Within the last few years the downtown area has been improved and is very picturesque with new brick sidewalks, lamp posts, landscaping and such.The Riverwalk area, along the Mispillion, is a big draw, and Milford has some very nice festivals and community events. 5 minutes out of the City of Milford, you'll find yourself in a rural area (very much like Milton). Plenty of real estate for sale, 1/2 - 3 acre properties, more reasonably priced than Milton.
Thank you, everyone, for the info. Now what is the rural area called 5 minutes outside of Milton? There's a cool-looking B&B called Willow Creek which is a dog-owners dream that I might book and take a look around. I am so accustomed to jersey...I've spent every summer in one of the towns since I can remember. it's not so much the taxes i'm concerned with as the...uh..."varmints" -LOL! Several of the homes I was close to buying had mole infestations. Also mosquitos are rife there as well as ticks (I have three wonderful canines). And this is off-island. This is why I'm reconsidering...critters and mega-insects are a huge hassel

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-13-2011 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: fixed html to make quote work

Old 04-13-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I wonder if there are as many fine old properties on the market in Milford and how they might compare in asking price to ones on the market in Milton?
Yes, there certainly are many in Milford, and as said, farther from the beach = lower prices.

[quote=soulsurv;18707200]
Quote:
QUOTE]

Now what is the rural area called 5 minutes outside of Milton? There's a cool-looking B&B called Willow Creek which is a dog-owners dream that I might book and take a look around.
Willow Creek Road - I call it - the area east of Red Mill Pond.... a rural area on the way to Broadkill Beach. There's also a popular motel on Coastal Hwy. a stone's throw from Red Mill Pond - They cater to pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware