U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-11-2011, 11:31 PM

711 posts, read 659,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
I don't know why anyone would move to the actual city of Wilmington anymore. It was nice 30 years ago, its becoming the new Camden. No way you could convince me otherwise, all of my family was WPD and the city will continue to deteriorate. I moved away 2 years ago.
Why does it continue to deteriorate?

People from newark was just talking today about why the city has so many boarded up doors and windows.

idk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 02:25 AM

534 posts, read 635,995 times
Doctor your listing all the big buck places. Go find a place in union Park and your stuff still gonna get broken into. And little Italy?? That place used to be good before all the Italians moved out basically. Now there's no real little Italy anymore or community presence. A friend of mine was shot on his own porch there. Better then some areas, for sure. Would I live there and be blocks away from the hood, no thank you.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:25 AM

4,561 posts, read 5,792,445 times
Well, the "big buck places" are part of the City of Wilmington too. And, in fact, relative to the North Wilmington burbs I wouldn't consider properties in the $300K range to be big buck -- such properties do in fact exist in Trolley, Forty Acres, and within the more upscale Highlands. Moreover, there are some lower middle/working class neighborhoods that are within the City that are quite safe, including an area sandwiched between Greenhill Rd and the upscale neighborhood of Westmoreland, and some more southwesterly bits that are within the City of Wilmington closer to Kirkwood Hwy. There are also decent working class neighborhoods sandwiched between the City and Elsmere. But if you want to concentrate all your attention on Hilltop and Brandywine Village -- hey, be my guest!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 AM

3,514 posts, read 2,728,351 times
Quote:
Doctor your listing all the big buck places. Go find a place in union Park and your stuff still gonna get broken into. And little Italy?? That place used to be good before all the Italians moved out basically. Now there's no real little Italy anymore or community presence. A friend of mine was shot on his own porch there. Better then some areas, for sure. Would I live there and be blocks away from the hood, no thank you.
Of course there are places in Wilmington where it would be unsafe and unwise to live. Wilmington has some incredibly rough areas. The city also has some beautiful areas as well as those that fall in between. Having lived in 7 states, that's been true of each place, as it is for your new home, Ft Worth. To claim otherwise would be just silly.

Clearly you realize Wilmington has its good and bad sections. As the doc says, however, if you want to focus all your attention on the bad areas, be my guest. Just be aware that such lack of balance undermines the content of your posts.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
The places Doctorjef considers the good parts of Wilmington are basically the suburbs to locals.

The part where Rockford Park, Tower hill & The Delaware art museum is like the 5% part of the city where some money is. The other 95% is a giant ghetto.

Lets be honest people everything east of N. Union & Lincoln street is the hood and that goes all the way down 4th street which is bad. Then when you cross I-95 to where Madison Street is on another level of violent crime. Take that more East and your out by the East side of town which looks like Hell on Earth. From there you can go down to one of the worst housing projects in America over Riverside. Edgemoor is not good at all. South Bridge is the ghetto. Concord Ave, Vandever, Washington street Northside is all very very violent and ghetto. Sure Wilmington has some suburbs with some money but the actual city of wilmington is like a giant hood to the average person. Like ebuch said there's no real little Italy anymore or community presence. People getting shot on the porch out there and that's the nice part of town.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
The places Doctorjef considers the good parts of Wilmington are basically the suburbs to locals.

The part where Rockford Park, Tower hill & The Delaware art museum is like the 5% part of the city where some money is. The other 95% is a giant ghetto.
95%

I'll repeat what I said to another poster:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Clearly you realize Wilmington has its good and bad sections. As the doc says, however, if you want to focus all your attention on the bad areas, be my guest. Just be aware that such lack of balance undermines the content of your posts.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 PM

I would like to thank jm02 & doctorjef for speaking about the positive parts of Wilmington given the circumstances.

Yes it does have some good parts, just like Philly & Baltimore...

Old 12-12-2011, 04:04 PM

534 posts, read 635,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Of course there are places in Wilmington where it would be unsafe and unwise to live. Wilmington has some incredibly rough areas. The city also has some beautiful areas as well as those that fall in between. Having lived in 7 states, that's been true of each place, as it is for your new home, Ft Worth. To claim otherwise would be just silly.

If you are counting the suburbs of Wilmington then sure there are definitely nice places, I am just talking about the city limits itself and their tax payers.

Of course Fort Worth has some violent areas, I work in east side now which is the same thing as Wilmington, however Fort Worth isn't getting its tax paying money from East Side and South Side residents to fund downtown, stockyards, etc.... That's the difference, Fort Worth has a lot nicer parts of towns and are able to get tax revenue back, the other sides continue to spend it just like Wilmington. If all of Fort Worth was east side , it too would be a Wilmington like city, just a lot bigger.

My whole point is, if you didn't grow up in Wilmington, why would you want to move there? Why not live in Hockessin or North 202, much better communities and its not like Wilmington is a far drive if you must go...

Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
If you are counting the suburbs of Wilmington then sure there are definitely nice places, I am just talking about the city limits itself and their tax payers.
OK
Quote:
Of course Fort Worth has some violent areas, I work in east side now which is the same thing as Wilmington, however Fort Worth isn't getting its tax paying money from East Side and South Side residents to fund downtown, stockyards, etc.... That's the difference, Fort Worth has a lot nicer parts of towns and are able to get tax revenue back, the other sides continue to spend it just like Wilmington. If all of Fort Worth was east side , it too would be a Wilmington like city, just a lot bigger.
I see you get my point. Wilmington is really challenged with its small footprint. I'm a big proponent of regional government. The suburbs of Wilmington owe their existence to the city. The flight of the tax base to the suburbs is ultimately a losing game for both the city and the 'burbs. As Delaware's only real city, I think the state is wise to direct some share of tax revenue the city's way. Ultimately, as Wilmington goes, so goes the state.
Quote:
My whole point is, if you didn't grow up in Wilmington, why would you want to move there? Why not live in Hockessin or North 202, much better communities and its not like Wilmington is a far drive if you must go...
I didn't grow up in Wilmington but was transferred there twice. Each time, I lived in the city, west of 95. I am an urban creature by nature and dislike the suburbs. I wanted to live in a neighborhood where I didn't have to drive every time I wanted to shop or seek entertainment.

BTW - I'm a Delaware native who lived for over 25 years in Houston before retiring to Philly about a year ago. Hope you enjoy Texas.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
I would like to thank jm02 & doctorjef for speaking about the positive parts of Wilmington given the circumstances.
Why, you're more than welcome! Given your singular focus on crime and grime, it was my pleasure to point out this particular coin has two sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware