U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:49 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest the OP hook up with ArtsyGuy over on the Texas forum. He's a young Dallasite who makes it his mission in life to gratuitously bash Austin - where he claims to have lived for an unhappy year of his life - every chance he gets. The trouble is -- his descriptions of Austin run diametrically opposed to the perceptions of almost anyone else who has ever lived there or who is familiar with that city. The OP here strongly made me think of the bitter, axe-grinding poster on the Texas forum. Ah well, for whatever reason Wilmington seems just to have been a bad fit for the OP. Certainly better to move on than to be unhappy (remembering that wherever you move, you will always be bringing yourself along). However, the completely one-sided negativity about Wilmington and its burbs also signals a real loss of objectivity and maybe also of self-critical reflection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 01:23 PM

99 posts, read 105,841 times
Wow, this is the by far the worst review I've ever read of any city. That's quite suprising being as though, it's just Wilmington. Wilmington is a quiet little town bustleing with respectful, cheerful people compared to Philadelphia or other bigger cities. I lived in Wilmington for years, and attended HS there at Thomas Mckean. I lived on Broom street... and I must say, those were the best years of my life. And no, this wasn't back in the 80's or 90's before the "scum" ruined things... this was in 2003.

Now, I know, Wilmington is not by far the cleanest most crime free city in PA, however I do not think it is as bad as you made it seem. IMO.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 PM

Wilmington isn't indeed the cleanest, most crime-free city in PA! It's in Delaware. But your point is taken -- Wilmington and especially it's burbs north of I-95 - largely encompass a very pleasant, amiable place.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 PM

711 posts, read 1,285,180 times
Exclamation The Bucket

DE can get real in town....

Last edited by Legendof302; 04-29-2011 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 09:43 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,419,302 times
You can find pictures like that ANYWHERE. I would not say, wilmington was the safest place ever (even that never even anything has happened to us while we were there), but it's for sure not that bad as other have described.

If one wants to move to Delaware, maybe has to work in Wilmington, then just do some homework upfront (it's SO easy nowadays) and move to a neighborhood, that's considered safe and not too far from work.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 PM

297 posts, read 635,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Delaware has got some problems for sure if your money is low...
This could be said of any urban area. We moved here from Virginia, where we lived (and I worked in the inner city) of Richmond for several years. Numerous neighborhoods there look like the pictures you posted, so? Those types of neighborhoods are far from unique to Wilmington.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:09 PM

711 posts, read 1,285,180 times
Default All over DE

I posted the pics b/c there must be a reason why someone made a thread like this, and I think i understand since there are alot of other people who feel the same way. Apathy is serious out here in DE...To the thread starter me and many others also feel your pain and I dont even live "Intown" im out here in Newark Rt4, kirkwood Highway, Route 40 Newcastle, bad vibes all over around here...smh

Old 04-30-2011, 07:32 AM

Every city in America where I've lived has areas like that. These are American social problems -- not Wilmington or Delaware social problems. Yes, denial is a problem, but it isn't denial of some problem unique to Wilmington but rather of longstanding socioeconomic structural problems in American society. There has never been the national political will to effectively address these problems, although LBJ's Great Society and War on Poverty initiatives went a considerable way in the right direction toward bringing people out of poverty - and therefore out of the pathological poverty culture - and into the middle class. You can't have both guns and butter; hence LBJ's good domestic initiatives were sunk by the war in Viet Nam -- just as more recent military adventures abroad have run up the national debt to the point that there is no political will to support the kind of domestic investment in our country that could make a huge difference to the way the people of this country live.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:25 AM

6,831 posts, read 7,759,083 times
I have mixed feelings about this topic. Wilmington has the potential to be much better than it is, but it's always felt a bit stagnant to me. Although I predict some will take issue with my opinion, I feel the citizens of the other three cities I've lived in (KC, Houston, and now Philly) take a greater sense of pride and ownership of their city than Wilmingtonians.

The mixed feeling I have is that IMO, the OP has overstated their disgust - seems like more may be at play than the simple sentiments of their post. Anyone who is willing to invest a bit of themselves into their community will have a better attitude about it. It's certainly better than nursing bitterness over some imagined grievances. As for the pictures conveying the simple fact Delaware has pockets of poverty, all I can say is travel elsewhere. It's not unique.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Needless to say Philly, KC and Houston are all way larger than the City of Wilmington; hence more diverse and with a much better tax base. Frankly, there's more to be proud of in the case of such cities. The peculiarity about municipalities in Delaware is that in general they seem to engage in very little annexation of surrounding areas as compared to what happens in other states IME. If the City of Wilmington included all its immediately surrounding suburbs, things would be much different. You would have much greater diversity, a far healthier tax base, and more civic pride in what would be a far larger city. However, that clearly isn't the Delaware way, whether good or bad (unfortunate for the residents of within the city limits, I think; perhaps at least partly desirable situation for all of us outside the city limits). I'd also point out that if the City of Wilmington encompassed all its unincorporated suburbs you would have a far larger and more diverse electorate, so the city government would look quite a bit different than it does under the existing state of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or