U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:19 PM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,848 times

Advertisements

Well, today's kayaking story doesn't involve a dangerous squirrel; it deals with dangerous logs. Wow, first time for everything. The husband and I kayaked both Millsboro Pond and Ingram Pond (west of Millsboro) for the first time. We encountered some logs in Millsboro Pond--really sneaky ones that were just under the surface of the water and you could not see. They'll give you a jolt if you catch one while paddling at a decent speed. However, it wasn't that bad and we had fun laughing at all the turtles we saw. Some surfaced right by our kayaks and others had "group sunning sessions" on large logs with about a dozen turtles! Now, Ingram Pond...I have canoed there before, but I never paddled to the back section of the pond where the big house and many lily pads are. I heard there were stumps and logs back there, but the husband and I went back there anyway and saw two men in a small flat-bottom boat fishing near the lily pads. It is very secluded back there, and I was glad to see somebody else was there just in case--my husband cannot swim and this always worries me. We went paddling near the shore by the lily pads, and my husband hit an underwater log. I went to go around it, but it was very large (underwater, could not see it) and my kayak actually became stuck on it--and I mean in a bad way. I couldn't believe it!! I rocked it, stuck my oar in the muck, changed directions...nothing. My husband tried to pull me but he is limited due to the fact he cannot swim. A man tipped a canoe in Ingram Pond three years ago and drowned due to the fact he was a weak swimmer and the bottom was VERY mucky and full of plant life. It's easy to get caught up in vegetation, muck, or fallen logs. In fact, it took them two days to recover the man's body in this small pond due to the fact he was caught in vegetation and logs. Knowing this, I didn't want to put my husband at risk helping me and told him I'd find a way out...somehow. Shore was close by, but it would be hard to get to because of the embankment, the vegetation, the muck, and the logs. It wasn't deep, but I knew getting out was the last thing I should do. Oh, and the men in the other boat? Didn't want to help. That's o.k., I'll remember that. Anyhow, I was stuck for a good twenty minutes before I finally got myself free. It was quite a hairy situation. Anyway, lesson learned: NEVER paddle to the back part of Ingram Pond. EVER. So please, fellow kayakers, heed my warning and do not paddle anywhere near the back of Ingram Pond. You'll know you're there once you see the lily pads. Even if a boater is there, stay away because, as I found out, there's no guarantee they'll help you in ANY way. These guys were local too so I'm sure they are there often.

I really think we'll be sticking to salt water kayaking; it tends to be log free. However, I do want to take one kayaking trip to Trap Pond for fall foliage observation. If anyone on here has kayaked Trap Pond and has tips on areas to avoid, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 06:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,837,713 times
Note to self: watch out for sneaky logs and squirrels throwing walnuts!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 PM

Well, kayaking season is winding down, but I'm not throwing in the towel just yet!! I plan on kayaking until November sometime. I kayaked the Assawoman Canal last week and was in awe looking at the beautiful fall leaves. Gorgeous . I want to paddle the refuge one more time before gets too cold as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,837,713 times
Beachliz, we've been up in the north fork of Long Island, NY and believe it or not kayaking is still going strong even up there. We just went out around Shelter Island. I'll bet a warmer place like DE will have at least a few nice days all the way up until Christmas. You might even have a warm and sunny January 1st--talk about a nice way to start off a new year.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 AM

Yes, we still have quite a few kayakers here. I am hoping that I can go strong for at least another month

Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Well, my last day of kayaking season was yesterday. I launched at the canal, paddled out to the mouth of the Assawoman Bay, and headed back for some fall foliage shots of the canal before turning in my paddle for the year. The weather was perfect. My husband and I saw two other kayakers out there as well, which was surprising considering how desolate it is out on the water now.

The water temp has really dropped as of lately--53 degrees yesterday. Considering this and the fact that poor guy just died after tipping his kayak earlier this week, I decided that yesterday would be my last day out until spring, or when the water hits at least 60 degrees again.

The colorful canopy of leaves over the canal was worth the trip. A picture cannot express what a marvelous sight this was! I will post a pic later....cannot wait until May when the water warms up again.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 AM

7,326 posts, read 10,756,524 times
Sounds heavenly, Liz! You really have enjoyed this summer, haven't you?

I'm outta here now to work down at Trap Pond, and in this fog, it will be an eerie site! Then to the opposite end of the state, center city Wilmington. Any place I travel to in Delaware makes a Good Day!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 AM

Yes, it's been wonderful. I cannot believe I waited all this time to start kayaking, but better late than never. Gosh, I bet we went out at least 30 times this year.

We're going to Trap Pond this weekend to ride our bikes and take fall pics . Love that place!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 AM

I took this pic on Weds. afternoon while kayaking the Assawoman Canal. I wish the lighting was better, but I don't have a really fancy pants camera anyway. I posted this on a local Delmarva website, and low and behold...it was featured on the local news last night.

Kayaking in eastern Sussex-fall-2011-168.jpg

Old 11-11-2011, 11:17 AM

7,326 posts, read 10,756,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I took this pic on Weds. afternoon while kayaking the Assawoman Canal. I wish the lighting was better, but I don't have a really fancy pants camera anyway. I posted this on a local Delmarva website, and low and behold...it was featured on the local news last night.

Attachment 87174
Great photo, Liz! Save it!
The next time someone on here asks:
Are there any trees in Delaware? Whip it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware