U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,535,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Modular ... and if I could make the move tomorrow, I'd do it. I hate the waiting, but clearly the benefit issue is a no-brainer.
Charley, there is a reason for everything. What ever is to be will be. I know you would move tomorrow if you could but health care is such an important issue and one that you most necessarily need.

If you wait 5 years, I'm sure there is a community that you will love with everything you want that isn't even on the map yet.
They seem to be gettting better and better. When we looked, there were not as many as today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 PM

7,298 posts, read 10,722,627 times
Quote:
Modular ... and if I could make the move tomorrow, I'd do it. I hate the waiting, but clearly the benefit issue is a no-brainer.
Sounds right to me. I going to PM you.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:03 PM

10 posts, read 35,068 times
I just wanted to say Thank you to everyone for all information pertaining to land/lease 55+ communities. My husband and I are 59 and want to move out of Massachusetts within a year or two. We presently live in a manufactured home in a 55+ village that is land leased. Our montly fee is very high and getting higher. We feel that when my DH takes his early retirement living here will be too expensive . We have been researching and looking at communities in NH and Maine. Deleware sounds like the place to live the rest of our senior years and live in some sort of a more comfortable way than where we are now.

Elizamary....because of you I have sent for a brochure and info from Southern Meadows. SM sounds like a place that we would love to live in. Sm sounds affordable to us but of course there are lots of questions that we have as far as living expenses.

Charley....especially thank you to you for all the researching you do and share with others

Sue from MA

Old 03-17-2008, 04:31 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,072,865 times
As far as the health care costs.......I just met two people here one paying 900 per month for health care and the others 1200 per month for their Blue Cross. Isn't that a horror........It is a worse thought then worry about lot rents.
However, to add to the lot rent issue.
Suelou, just like you have now in Massachusetts.....things can be the same in DE.
I would love, love to fully trust the landowner, but after the Pots Net horrors.....I just can't. I personally know someone in PN whos lot rent has doubled, and it is a big, huge sum.
Right now I could buy a home by the ocean here( SC) a few homes in for a reasonable sum. They have pools,and lakes......nice trees......and across the street is the ocean.
But.........could I ever trust that the $335 ( as far as I had known) will go up per month.
As the years go on........How can you ever know? Taxes would go up slowly, outside the community, but.....lot rents can go sky high without much warning.
I also don't like the rule that if ( god forbid) your home burns down, you must build one at the going rate. This cost could be huge........one may not afford this home building cost. Example, say you lost a home you paid 60,000 for years ago and now they want you to build a 200,000 home !
Then what? You have land, and no home......you will still pay the lot rent on that land.
I do think Southern Meadows sounds quite nice. And........I love the state of DE.
I think it is a much better climate then the northeastern states for retired folks.
However, read all the fine print.......and make sure you can live with the rules.
LOL.........I don't do well with too many rules. The ones for neatness are ok, its some of the others.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,963,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I also don't like the rule that if ( god forbid) your home burns down, you must build one at the going rate. This cost could be huge........one may not afford this home building cost. Example, say you lost a home you paid 60,000 for years ago and now they want you to build a 200,000 home!
My homeowners insurance is based on replacement cost. So if my house were to burn down tomorrow, I'd get it replaced at the cost of replacing the house today. Doesn't everyone have that? I thought that was pretty standard.

Charley

Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
My homeowners insurance is based on replacement cost. So if my house were to burn down tomorrow, I'd get it replaced at the cost of replacing the house today. Doesn't everyone have that? I thought that was pretty standard.

Charley
I have homeowners Charley. In order to buy this, I had to have it at settlement.

Suelou........land lease or fee simple is a matter of choice.
some want to own the land.
We decided on land lease cuz the home was cheaper. The lot rent in SM is one of the most reasonable in DE.
With lot lease you do not pay taxes on the land. our taxes run about $400 a year. We also have use of the clubhouse, pool and gym. If we were to own the land and join a pool or gym, that would run into more a year.
Plus, they cut our grass and remove our snow. I thin sewage is also included.
For us, it was as broad as long.
My neighbors say they chose this because they rather have the money in the bank than in a house.
Like I said, it is a matter of choice.
If you do come to SM, mention my name.
There are many 55+ communities in this area. Some land lease and some not.
Check them all out to decide which one is right for you.
I will tell you, this area is great for retirement. Magnolia, Dover, Felton and smyrna. We are only 35 mins from the beach. So much to see and so many nice people. We moved from Philly and had NO problem adjusting. Been here a year and no regrets.
Good luck.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM

Summering....Oh, that is another thing I have to find out with moving out of state and that is our health insurance . Wondering if our Health Insurance Provider has coverage for us in Delaware.

Elizamary....Is "fee simple" the same as land lease? How can I find all other 55+ communities. Is there a web site that lists them and then I can send for information? Gosh, there is so much to think of.

Thanks again!

Sue

Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 AM

[quote=Suelou;3176870]Summering....Oh, that is another thing I have to find out with moving out of state and that is our health insurance . Wondering if our Health Insurance Provider has coverage for us in Delaware.

Elizamary....Is "fee simple" the same as land lease? How can I find all other 55+ communities. Is there a web site that lists them and then I can send for information? Gosh, there is so much to think of.

Thanks again!

55+ Active Adult, Age Restricted & Active Lifestyle Communities DE Delaware "This link should help you."

Fee simple is you own the land. Land lease is you own your home but rent the land. Keep in mind, you do not pay taxes on the land if you lease.
There are quite a few 55+ communities springing up in Dover, Magnolia, Camden, felton and smyrna.

We are from PA and had Keystone East health care. Now we are in Kent Co DE and Keystone is not accepted this far south. I had to change before we moved. It was hard finding out what insurance was accepted down here so we went with blue cross since the coverage is accepted nationally.

Your so right, this is a load of info to find out before you make the move.

Good luck. anything else I can help you with, Just give a hollar.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:56 AM

Thanks again Elizamary! I will check in now and then and just might give you a hollar at some point. I did check out the link and found that only 2 or 3 communities are affordable for us. Of course, SM was one of them.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suelou View Post
Thanks again Elizamary! I will check in now and then and just might give you a hollar at some point. I did check out the link and found that only 2 or 3 communities are affordable for us. Of course, SM was one of them.
Hi sue........Sounds like you are in the same boat as we were. There were only a few communities we could afford too. I was so impressed with southern Meadows compared to other ones in that price range.
2 car garage, pool, gym and the home doesn't look like a trailer type with the gargage builty on and the way the front is designed.
Bon Ayre was a nice community but no garage and no pool. Plus the man that sold the homes is a grouch.
Of course, you have to consider the lot rent too. Some are higher than others. When we bought, Southen Meadows was one of the cheaper ones.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware