Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 AM

11 posts, read 25,208 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to Delaware from New Jersey and would like to know how Sussex County would be to find a home. I'd appreciate your responses. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:53 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times
drvjmj,

It really depends upon what you are looking for in Sussex County. It makes a big difference for example if you are a retiree or if you need to find a job in the area. Are you looking for a small condo or a 5 bedroom house? Are you interested in beach front or farm land? What is your price range? You need to give us more information to point you in the right direction.

Mary 2014

Old 04-24-2011, 01:56 PM

11 posts, read 25,208 times
Default Relocating to Delaware

Thank you for responding to my question. I lost my job two years ago when it was outsourced to India. If I can find a job, that would be good, it is virtually impossible because most jobs in my area of expertise have been outsourced. If I can't find a job, then I would love to have a part-time job to keep busy.

I do not want to live in a 55+ development although they seem to have the size house I would like. Also, I do not want to rent the land or pay HOA fees.

I would love to live near the beach but not in a particularly tourist area. My ideal home would be oceanfront, but I doubt if I can afford such a home, so close to the beach would be next. My favorite houses are those built between 1850 and 1950. I tried living in a condo years ago in New Jersey, but it was too noisy for me.

The house would have two bedrooms, if there is a family room in addition to a living room. I have computer equipment that should be in a room of it's own and not in the living room or bedroom.

If a house does not have a family room, then it should have three bedrooms; a master, a guest room and a computer room.

I picked Sussex County because it has the most shoreline and the websites I looked at had the most houses near the beaches in my price range. But what I really would like to know is, what is it like living in Sussex County.

Thanks again.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:35 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times
There are not a lot of jobs in Sussex County - so it seems to attract retirees and people who can afford to own a second home. Most newer homes have HOA fees, but, since you are looking for an older home you may find something - particularly if you are prepared to do some of the work yourself.

I plan to retire to the Lewes area in 3 years - but, I am looking for a condo (see my recent posts on the 55+ thread).

Web sites can be decieving - you might want to rent a condo for a week in the off season and simply check out the area to see if the slower lifestyle in southern Delaware suits you. It suits some, but, not everyone.

Mary2014

Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
I've lived in eastern Sussex (Delaware Beaches) since 1985 and I love it. I've lived in Lewes and Ocean View (currently), and I'd recommend both. There's always something to do. If you are into an active lifestyle, then the beach area will suit your needs as well. My husband and I enjoy long bike rides and walks around the area. Plenty of restaurants and entertainment at the beaches...at least for me, that is. I guess it all depends on your hobbies and interests.

I DO agree with others about the job market in Sussex. I'm currently a science teacher because there's not much else I can do with a science background in Sussex other than teach. You best bet is to land a state job or look for a job in Dover or Salisbury, MD if you desire to work in the private sector. The whole job issue is a big reason we're leaving in three years for south Florida; there's more job opportunities for me down there.

There are a couple homes (basic rancher style) in my development for sale which are rather nice, but I'm not sure what your price range is. Please let me know if you have any specific questions; I don't mind answering them and I consider myself an expert on the Delaware Beach area

Old 04-25-2011, 04:16 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
There are a couple homes (basic rancher style) in my development for sale which are rather nice, but I'm not sure what your price range is. Please let me know if you have any specific questions; I don't mind answering them and I consider myself an expert on the Delaware Beach area
Liz, I saw some real bargains last week....beautiful older homes for sale on Atlantic Avenue, through Ocean View and on the way to Millville. Amazing what you can buy now at a moderate price. That area is still unspoiled....for how long, we don't know, huh? Not too many safe places to bike any more near the beach, except in your area and the strip from Bethany, to Indian River, to Dewey Beach. Still, I see people trying to bike on Rt. 1/Coastal Highway. It's insane.
(don't go....there aren't many of us left)

Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 AM

rdlr--I know!! Homes that you could not touch for anything less than 300K+ five years ago will now sell for a little over 200K. One home for sale on my street (well-maintained 80's style rancher) was on the market for $285K two years ago. It's now listed for $230K and it's still not sold. NOT good news for me when we put our house up for sale in two years, even though my home is a newer home. I sure hope the market improves

My husband and I have been bike riding into Bethany and Fenwick, and it gets a little scary sometimes. The shoulder is literally nonexistent in some areas. We are planning on a bike ride to the IR Inlet sometime this week; THAT is a fun trip. And don't worry--no plans on bike riding down route one in the Rehoboth area...nooooo thanks!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
rdlr--I know!! Homes that you could not touch for anything less than 300K+ five years ago will now sell for a little over 200K. One home for sale on my street (well-maintained 80's style rancher) was on the market for $285K two years ago. It's now listed for $230K and it's still not sold. NOT good news for me when we put our house up for sale in two years, even though my home is a newer home. I sure hope the market improves

My husband and I have been bike riding into Bethany and Fenwick, and it gets a little scary sometimes. The shoulder is literally nonexistent in some areas. We are planning on a bike ride to the IR Inlet sometime this week; THAT is a fun trip. And don't worry--no plans on bike riding down route one in the Rehoboth area...nooooo thanks!
I saw a couple of homes between Milford and Milton, brand new ranchers, 2 car garage, 3 bedrooms 2 baths, nice lots in neat neighborhoods. $150,000 each, reduced from $195,000. But, my choice would be your area, as I said, not over run with tourists (yet).

We knew a foreign student who worked in a Rehoboth Restaurant. She biked to work from the Midway Shopping Ctr. area, and one day we asked where she was. Sad, she got hit by some speeding idiot. Such a sweet young girl.

There's hope Liz......word "on the street" is that in 2-3 years, real estate demands will be back and the bidding wars will return. I think you'll be fine.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 AM

Yes, bikers get hit often here during the summer. I worry because my 15-year-old insists on riding his bike to Bethany Beach during the summertime. We have some traffic here this week, but it's nothing compared to what it's like in July. Sorry to hear about the foreign student you knew--very sad.

I sure hope the market bounces back. My home appraised for a pretty penny back in 2004, but I think it would sell for a good 75K less now...and take awhile to sell at that. However, we have a decent sized, private backyard, and I think that's a good selling point.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM

49 posts, read 140,123 times
The house we are buying in Harbeson was sold new for 320K in 2007. We got it for 240. Close in 2 weeks. And I have shoulder surgery tomorrow...bad timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware