U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:44 PM

49 posts, read 114,623 times

Advertisements

RDgirl..I didn't see anything wrong with your posts. Don't know what the fuss is about.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:58 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,137,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdugirl View Post
I know that Lewes is MUCH smaller than Raleigh and a PMV will be the best way for me to decide if it will meet my needs. I live in a historic area right in downtown Raleigh and it's great to walk to museums, restaurants and coffee shops. I would like to have 1 or 2 local coffee shops that I could go to (not starbucks), a few good restaurants, a local pub and perhaps a bar that has live music now and then. I don't need walmart or Target, but a good farmers market would be nice!

I looked into Wilmington since it is much closer to Philly, but I read such mixed reviews that I ruled it out as an option. A lot of postings about crime? Any info on hospitals or areas in Wilmington that I might like wouldl be great. I am not afraid of a little diversity and I know that living downtown has it's own set of problems. I can go a few blocks north of where I am now and it's not a very desirable place to be, so, I simply don't go there.

What is the age range of the Lewes residents? I'm 45 so would prefer a good mix of 30-40 yr olds but understand that it is a great location for the retired folk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdugirl View Post
Ok guys! I posted on the Raleigh board and meant every word. Raleigh is a great place to live and I love it. However, due to family I am going to have to head back North. I am looking at Lewes and areas in Philly that I asked about! Isn't that what the boards are for? To gain information. If I ask about an area, am I somehow now tied to only that area and not allowed to ask about any other place in the US?

Can't a girl have options? Maybe the job offer in Lewes will be better than the one in Philly? Maybe after a PMV, I will fall in love with Lewes and the decision will be made?

Are you here because you want to help or are you here to just troll around and criticize? Seriously?

Tell me where you live, so I can cross it off the list!!
See when you come to the Delaware forum even people from out of state feel the need to interject themselves in topics just to put others down.
Drinkers of Haterade!!!

My posts and topics are of the higher class of conversation, I don't forget that this is a relocation forum and I haven't contributed to this topic until now since you brought up Wilmington.

Wilmington has Wilmington Hospital and St Francis, down the road in Newark is Christiana Hospital, also from what you are looking for in a place to live, except for the beach part Trolley Square in Wilmington should fit the bill quite nicely.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 PM

76 posts, read 118,662 times
Thank you Barbour, James420 and all of you who have given me great suggestions and things to consider. I will keep you posted!! I love the boards and will continue to ask questions and make comments on places I have been and places I want to go.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:34 PM

6,831 posts, read 7,759,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
See when you come to the Delaware forum even people from out of state feel the need to interject themselves in topics just to put others down.
You are welcome to have an opinion on my posts. I am a native Delawarean, however, and a graduate of UD.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 05-06-2011 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM

7,325 posts, read 10,754,669 times
I think Delawareans here try very, very hard to be helpful to those from elsewhere wanting feedback on our State.There's nothing in it for us....just our nature, and we're proud to share what we know. Not to be ignored are those non-Delawareans, but who continue to do the research and share what they learn.

Last edited by rdlr; 05-06-2011 at 05:02 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 05:37 PM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,163 times
I joined this forum last year and have certainly contributed more than I've asked in return. I enjoy helping others; it's in my nature and it's even part of my job.

rdugirl--I also post on another forum for Cape Coral, FL since we are planning to move there in three years. I know what it's like to ask others for relocation advice since I'm doing the same on that particular forum. I love Delaware (particularly Lewes and Ocean View), but that doesn't mean I'll be here forever. I think the only place I didn't like at all (as far as where I've lived) was Oak Orchard. The state also has its problems (doesn't any state?), and I'd be blunt as can be if asked about Delaware's issues.

Good for you for seeking advice before making such a drastic move. Please let me know if you have any other questions about my home state.

Last edited by beachliz; 05-06-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 PM

6,831 posts, read 7,759,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I think Delawareans here try very, very hard to be helpful to those from elsewhere wanting feedback on our State.There's nothing in it for us....just our nature, and we're proud to share what we know. Not to be ignored are those non-Delawareans, but who continue to do the research and share what they learn.
Thanks rdlr. Hard to explain, but when I saw an equally enthusiastic series of posts extolling a possible move to Philly on our city's board (my new home town), I felt the Delaware regulars were being played. I will always be loyal to Delaware.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:00 PM

76 posts, read 118,662 times
Wink Now I'm confused....

Jm02..are you a native of DE now living in Philly? Advice you give in both forums is great, but not sure why it was such a big deal for me to ask questions about Philly AND Delaware? Just as you are able to give great advice having lived in many places, I was using the forum to help me decide between two great places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I note you mentioned you might not keep a car. Since you know CC, you realize it's very possible to live here without one. That not only saves you money on parking, but also insurance, which is quite high in Philly. Elimination of those costs then opens up places like the Metropolitan you saw (electricity costs are minimal when you are buffered from the elements on three sides in a high-rise).

You can use any realtor website to search for rental properties. Here's one: Prudential Fox & Roach | Real Estate | Philadelphia, PA, NJ, DE & MD

I note someone suggested Northern Liberties. We looked there, but it felt like we weren't in Philly. It may work for you, but CC was the reason we moved here.

Good luck. I hope you like it here as much as we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware