Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:19 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times

Advertisements

This has probably been done before, but I thought I'd start a new thread on good things about the First State. I'd be interested in reading all the things other people come up with. So anyway, let me start with just a few things on my mind at the moment. I love the Spring here in northern Delaware with all the beautiful azaleas, dogwood, cherry trees and crab apples. I love the autumn with it's prolonged display of colour. I like the first good snow, the starkness of the early winter landscape and hearing the geese flying overhead. I like looking into the vast, endless blue of the Atlantic Ocean from the beach. I like the dunes and beach grasses and watching the antics of sea gulls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 01:56 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
For me its the water, from the Delaware River to the Bay and Ocean. I don't think enough residents take advantage of living near beaches and the river. I only wish we had a boat ramp up north above Wilmington and below Chester, also the seasons, we have alot of creeks that dump into the Brandywine river and we even have some HILLS up here that are filled with trees and creeks. No offense intended but above the ditch is way more beautiful in the fall than below.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:21 PM

I agree - northern DE is beautiful. I love the rolling hills and wooded areas. Speaking of water, I really like the look of the marshes and marshy rivers downstate.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I agree - northern DE is beautiful. I love the rolling hills and wooded areas. Speaking of water, I really like the look of the marshes and marshy rivers downstate.
You mean swamps....HAha kidding. Really, though in the fall which is my favorite season, from Assawoman to Augustine Wildlife Area and Bombay, and Prime Hook in the middle, lower DE has the best wildlife.Thats what I really love about Delaware.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:29 PM

728 posts, read 1,782,649 times
White clay creek 'Gold"....

Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 PM

Is that a Palomino trout? I missed the White Clay this year and stayed around Beaver Valley and Murphy's Run. Great job by the way. I can't tell you the amount of respect I have for Fly Fisherman and Archery hunters. Man, if I had a nickel for every time I caught the back of my head with a fly....

Old 04-25-2010, 12:05 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
You mean swamps....HAha kidding. Really, though in the fall which is my favorite season, from Assawoman to Augustine Wildlife Area and Bombay, and Prime Hook in the middle, lower DE has the best wildlife.Thats what I really love about Delaware.
With all the new developments taking over woods and fields we have deer , foxes and skunks right in our front yards.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:37 AM

The wildlife can be a nuisance of course, but on balance this is also one of the things I appreciate about DE. We get deer and rabbits especially at times. Both are a bane to some of our bedding plants, but there's the organic stuff to spray on vulnerable plants that repels deer and rabbits (made from putrescent egg, garlic and capsicum -- makes vegetation too spicy for bunnies and Bambi). Besides the ubiquitous squirrels, around here we also see fox, groudhogs and chipmunks/ground squirrels (not sure about the distinction). The birding even in this suburban neighborhood is good too -- two winters ago a great blue heron hung out around our neighbor's koi pond, feasting on the koi -- which our neighbor kindly allowed without molesting the bird. See lots of hawks around here. We really need the predators in order to keep the rabbits under control -- two years ago this neighborhood was absolutely bouncing with bunnies in the late spring and summer, munching away in everyone's front yards.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Besides all that's been said, what I also love is the resilience of Kent and Sussex Counties, which in spite of the huge influx of people from elsewhere moving into various types of new subdivisions, small rural towns and areas have remained consistent in keeping with their simple housing and neighborhood customs. This may not be different from other states, but all I know is Delaware. History still plays a big part in most rural towns in Kent and Sussex while fairs, gatherings, and local events continue to repeat themselves, year after year. Progressive is great, but it's nice that some portions of the state remain as they've been, small town America.

One such example of continuing in the past is Bethel, DE, where the Woodland Ferry will carry up to 3 vehicles across the Nanticoke River. No charge and man operated. Along with the 3 minute trip there's always interesting conversation from the operator, which quite often continues on the destination's shoreline for many more minutes. At least until another customer is spotted on the opposite shoreline, then there's a quick 3 minute trip back to pick them up. Priceless.
The Woodland Ferry Today

Last edited by rdlr; 04-25-2010 at 07:28 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 08:08 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,649 times
Naw that's not me unfortunately, after I caught and released two rainbows I walked back to the car and grabbed my camera and some trash bags and prowled around the area before the rain. I picked up 3 full bags and happened along a few perfect photo opportunities such as this. I caught the whole thing on cam and even have one with his tail out of the water from a jump!

I totally agree with rdlr's post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware