U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:21 AM

4,645 posts, read 6,437,770 times

Advertisements

Probably not this next Saturday, but soon, I thought it would be a good Saturday day trip to drive down to Milford for the farmers market and general sight-seeing/shopping/eating. Any suggestions on places to eat that serve beer and wine? Any suggestions on the most interesting route to take down to Milford from upstate? Any suggestions on things to see that we might miss if we didn't know about them in advance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 AM

4,628 posts, read 5,981,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Probably not this next Saturday, but soon, I thought it would be a good Saturday day trip to drive down to Milford for the farmers market and general sight-seeing/shopping/eating. Any suggestions on places to eat that serve beer and wine? Any suggestions on the most interesting route to take down to Milford from upstate? Any suggestions on things to see that we might miss if we didn't know about them in advance?
Planning is key in regard to a Saturday trip to Milford. The historical society operates from the Parson Thorne Mansion, but someone is not always 'manning the ship', which is unfortunate. Here's a link with some information.
Parson Thorne Mansion – Milford, Delaware | Delaware Tourism

and the Milford Riverfront (walk)
Milford Delaware -- Sussex County Online, Delaware

The Bug and Bud Festival is over, and is the biggest Springtime event in Milford. The Farmers Market, IMO, is nice, but not so unique. In addition, it's only open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays.

Given the above minor negatives, I have had some wonderful times in Milford when they have their publicized events. But popping in on any given Saturday may not present Milford at its best. However, their downtown area (Walnut St. is the main route) is very attractive, and I enjoy some of their unique shops.

As far as dining, I think Abbotts Grill is the best, but is inappropriately named. It could be the old Smith & Co. location, which is in a shopping center, lacking curb appeal.
Abbott's Grill! | Abbott's Grill

Also popular is the Georgia House on Walnut Street... not my favorite place to eat, but many others love it. It's a small chain with other locations being in downstate Delaware.There is not an abundance of nice restaurants in Milford.

Remember, Milford is relatively new at showcasing their City, but they are working on it and I have seen many improvements in regard to their historical and commercial areas, in comparison to how Milford was many years ago. The City of Milford lies within both Kent & Sussex Counties, with the Mispillion River being the division line.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 AM

Thanks rdlr! I saw on one of the Milford websites that we just missed the Bug and Bud Festival. But I probably don't want to wait till next year to go down there. Another idea, of course, would be to drive down on the way to the beach. I just thought that the Saturday farmers market might bring more people in and make things a little livelier. Thanks especially for suggesting places to eat.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:01 PM

3,978 posts, read 3,297,916 times
I understand Milford has done a nice job developing their riverfront. If you do go, I'd be interested in you sharing your impressions. As for the route down, there are only so many ways to reach downstate. I assume you are already familiar with Route 9 starting at Del City and connecting back with Rt 1 just past DAFB: Delaware Route 9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It's a great little drive when you're not in a hurry.

Have a good trip.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:11 PM

711 posts, read 747,506 times
Quote:
Milford for the farmers market
Only Farmers Market downstate I know of is next to Johnny Jonasik in Laurel. How does to one in Milford compare to the one on 13?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...35.73,,0,12.69

???

Old 05-09-2011, 05:33 PM

I've driven Rt 9, which is really interesting but I'm afraid to drive it again unless we are either having a drought or I get a vehicle with higher clearance of the roadway, since I encountered quite a bit of water on the road when we drove that way. I guess we'd probably just take 13, or maybe drive part of the way on Rt 1 and then turn west south of Dover.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I've driven Rt 9, which is really interesting but I'm afraid to drive it again unless we are either having a drought or I get a vehicle with higher clearance of the roadway, since I encountered quite a bit of water on the road when we drove that way. I guess we'd probably just take 13, or maybe drive part of the way on Rt 1 and then turn west south of Dover.
You lost even Me on that one, DJ
Don't even get on Rt. 13 and don't go into Dover. From north, stay on SR1 (Rt.1 Bypass) until the very end, which takes you past Dover Air Force Base, just like you're going to the beaches. Continue south (Bay Road & Rt. 1 become Coastal Highway) At Milford signs.... Exit Right onto Rt. 113 aka DuPont Blvd. It might also say "TO Milford & Georgetown". Stay in left lane, and make an immediate left on Rehoboth Boulevard (Traffic Light), travel a couple of miles then make a Right on Front Street (Route 36) and you're in downtown Milford.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Only Farmers Market downstate I know of is next to Johnny Jonasik in Laurel. How does to one in Milford compare to the one on 13?
???
It doesn't. Milford's Farmers Market is portable, and vendors roll their carts into the Riverwalk area. It's mostly produce.

Johnny's is more of a flea market, somewhat comparable to Spence's Bazaar in Dover, and only somewhat similar to Willeys Farm Market in Townsend, as far as produce goes.The tons of other farmers' markets are sprinkled about lower New Castle, Kent & Sussex Counties. Smith & Son in Bridgeville (Sussex County) and Fifer's in Kent County are two really good ones. But there are so many more. Webb's Farm Market along Coastal Highway between Rising Sun and Frederica is a good one, too. But, I enjoy them all.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 AM

135 posts, read 189,625 times
Located in the same shopping center as Abbott's Grill is the Hispanic supermarket, Gigante. Great prices on fruits and veggies. If you like to cook, this is THE place for spices, fresh fish, etc. Lots of different types of Mexican cheeses, tortillas and things I don't even know what they are! Worth a stop.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,003 times
I would recommend Abbotts Grill as well. They have the best food in Milford. As far as anything going on "downtown" there are a few gift shops, a small antique shop, a "museum" with sporatic hours, a barber shop, and a fantastic coffee shop/bakery - Dolce. You will drive through the downtown in less than a minute. Absolutely nothing is open on Sunday. The "riverwalk" is a boardwalk type "thing" that runs through town but there's nothing on it or near it that is of interest. I so wish that someone would see the potential of this town and actually build or open some restaurants/shops on the water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware