Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 AM

297 posts, read 741,081 times

Advertisements

I have to say, it didn't take long to get used to not having to pay any. This goes for my 8 year old, too. His class is taking a field trip to the Philly Zoo today. He took some money for the gift shop and made a comment that he'll probably get a penny back. It dawned on me that I needed to tell him he couldn't buy something that was the full $10 b/c of the sales tax! He was horrified... and had a really hard time wrapping his head around the concept of sales tax and how the state could expect a KID to pay it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:48 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,162,520 times
We have had relatives come to visit and be trying to figure exactly how much they needed to pay. They had a hard time realizing that the posted price was it nothing to add.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:53 AM

407 posts, read 962,387 times
As a NY'er who has made 3 or 4 trips there already neighborhood "shopping"...I have to say. No sales tax is a really strange thing at first....especially at restaurants! Around here we generally double the tax to approx. figure the tip (8.625%)....all of a sudden we no tax to use as an estimate and we felt lost. But I wasn't complaining :-)

Old 05-12-2011, 05:19 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,018,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
As a NY'er who has made 3 or 4 trips there already neighborhood "shopping"...I have to say. No sales tax is a really strange thing at first....especially at restaurants! Around here we generally double the tax to approx. figure the tip (8.625%)....all of a sudden we no tax to use as an estimate and we felt lost. But I wasn't complaining :-)
When I move next year from New York to Kent County, I know I'll have a few adjustments to make. I don't anticipate having any problems in doing so ... but the adjustment to Delaware taxes should be really easy.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:04 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,536,196 times
While I appreciate not having sales tax in DE, I did notice on my last visit that food items seem to be much higher than in SE PA. For example, I bought a quart of milk at Food Lion in Lewes. Cost was $2.09. I also tried SuperFresh nearby a few days later and it was $1.69. Same quart of milk in SE PA is $1.09. Same with Yoplait yogurt - it ran 85 cents per unit, on sale for 80 cents at SuperFresh. In SE PA the same item is 59 cents, on sale 50 cents.

I was really surprised how expensive basic every day food items are in southern DE as compared to SE PA. ( And in PA food items bought at a grocery store are not taxable.)

Mary2014

Old 05-12-2011, 04:33 PM

9,699 posts, read 14,187,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
While I appreciate not having sales tax in DE, I did notice on my last visit that food items seem to be much higher than in SE PA. For example, I bought a quart of milk at Food Lion in Lewes. Cost was $2.09. I also tried SuperFresh nearby a few days later and it was $1.69. Same quart of milk in SE PA is $1.09. Same with Yoplait yogurt - it ran 85 cents per unit, on sale for 80 cents at SuperFresh. In SE PA the same item is 59 cents, on sale 50 cents.
I was really surprised how expensive basic every day food items are in southern DE as compared to SE PA. ( And in PA food items bought at a grocery store are not taxable.)
Mary2014
Sure, beach areas can charge more. You can't compare prices for groceries in the beach areas to other parts of Delaware. Most things are higher near the beach, for good reason. Tourists and campers are always in grocery store parking lots in Smyrna, Dover and Camden because they learned to stock up before they hit the beach, and of course no sales tax either. Win-Win

Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,018,804 times
Quote:

Mary2014
Another person who moved from Philly to Kent County, Elizamary, noticed the same thing. Yet when we did our comparisons, the Delaware prices are slightly below the New York prices.

Of course, everyone's "market basket" is different and the prices to be paid will depend on the items one chooses.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:07 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,536,196 times
rdlr,
I kind of expected the prices to be high at Food Lion because it is sitting near rt 1 and Savannnah Road. I was disappointed the Super Fresh further South on Rt 1 was high as well. Guess that is something I will have to get used to when I move to the Lewes area. Do you know if they have any BJ's or Sam's clubs in the Lewes area that have better prices for groceries?

Mary2014

PS The Super Fresh on Rt 1 near Lewes is much nicer ( cleaner and better selection) than the Super Fresh stores up in my area. Giant is the most price friendly grocery store in my area.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,162,520 times
Quote:
rdlr,
I kind of expected the prices to be high at Food Lion because it is sitting near rt 1 and Savannnah Road. I was disappointed the Super Fresh further South on Rt 1 was high as well. Guess that is something I will have to get used to when I move to the Lewes area. Do you know if they have any BJ's or Sam's clubs in the Lewes area that have better prices for groceries?

Mary2014

PS The Super Fresh on Rt 1 near Lewes is much nicer ( cleaner and better selection) than the Super Fresh stores up in my area. Giant is the most price friendly grocery store in my area.
The is a BJs in Millsboro. Closest Sams would be in Dover.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:13 AM

9,699 posts, read 14,187,737 times
There's a Walmart in Rehoboth (Rehoboth Mall Blvd.) but I don't think it's a supercenter and I've never been in that one. I'd give it a try, if I were you, because other WalMarts carry groceries. I buy my groceries (except for some meats) in the Camden WalMart Supercenter - neat, clean, well operated store with excellent prices, even better if we buy Great Value brand.

If the Rehoboth WalMart is no good, there's a WalMart SuperCenter in Milford, 20 minutes north of Lewes. Cheap prices; I've shopped there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware