U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:45 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,550,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by interactman View Post
Cape Henlopen State Park has 2 guarded ocean beaches, one at gordon's pond and one at the big bathhouse. Check it out! Nature trails, dunes, a swell campground where you can hear the surf at night, observation towers etc. Also next to the ferry towards Lewes there are a couple of nice bay beaches.
Cape Henelopen is nice. The beach wasn't that crowded either. There is a fee to get in. I believe it is $4. The first of the year will will buy a yearly pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
After what just recently happened in MN with the bridge collapse, maybe we all should be taking a hard look at our representatives and senators and asking, "What about our bridges?" Of course, you'd probably get a typical politician's answer, "I want to ensure all our citizens that we're working very closely with the federal and our state transportation and safety folks to make sure our bridges meet all federal and state safety requirements. Our citizens and visitors can feel secure when they travelling through our great state that our bridges are safe!" Camera fades and the TV station switches to a commercial.
Now that was good. But you know what my question is are they really doing it. Especially since in order to get anywhere in the PA, DE, NY, NJ area you have to go over a bridge or two or a tunnel. Are they truly looking into it?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:17 PM

957 posts, read 3,325,837 times
The federal government has determined that the IR bridge meets minimum requirements to remain open and estimate that it could be declared unsafe as early as 2008. Deldot, in their infinite wisdom, estimate that the new bridge will not be competed until 2011. There was just an article in the paper about this.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,725 times
Default additional DE beach info please :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
Go through Dewey beach on Rt. headed South. Just after you exit civilization, you'll see the bay on the right and the ocean on the left. There are a few beach areas on both sides. Tower Rd and New Rd are on the bay side and are usually never crowded, even on excellent beach days. The water is no more than waist deep a good 300 feet out, so it's good for people (kids) with limited swimming skills. If you get bored with the bay, Tower Rd (ocean) and Key Box Rd are on the ocean side. Key Box is almost across the street from New Rd. The ocean usually has good waves, but it gets deep fast and there are currents. All of these beach area are state parks, so there is a fee for parking. I forget how much but it's not much. If you pay at one area, just show your receipt at the next one. At New Rd you park literally 6 feet from the water. On the ocean side, you have to walk up and over the dunes....maybe 200 feet or so.
thank you for this information about the quieter beaches on the bay, i can't wait to check them out! i've been to cape henlopen, by the bathhouse and parking lot and enjoy that beach but have never found a quiet spot there. walking away only gets me to all the trucks and suvs of fishing people. I hate seeing cars on the beach - very destructive of the nature views!

Question - since these are quiet non-town beaches, is it a problem to be there past sunset? Any clue on that? I've been searching information on the following:
1) Protected beaches/smaller waves in DE that are not crowded with families and children
2) Quiet beaches in DE in general
3) Beaches where it's okay to be there at any hour without running into problems with patrol/police/what have you

Thanks much for any additional insights!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:05 PM

and are there any nice bay beaches in fenwick island area?

Old 07-18-2012, 03:01 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,057,383 times
There is a small (and I mean small!) parking lot across from Fenwick Island State Park on the southbound side of route one where you can park and go swimming in the bay. You would pay at the Fenwick Island State Park booth. It is a very tiny area, but I see people go there with small children. I've also seen older people go there to just enjoy the sun and water. Personally, I prefer the area to launch my kayak. It's the Assawoman Bay which is very shallow. You can wade out far and not have any problems. There's also landings at the Assawoman Wildlife Refuge which aren't really beaches, but people hang out and go swimming there. However, you would need to head inland since the refuge is on the other side of the Assawoman. Here's a link:

Little Assawoman Bay, Fenwick Island State Park, Fenwick, Delaware

Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 PM

thank you! sounds like the above bay area on Towers Rd and New Rd at DE Seashore State Park is the place for bay side beaching.

any insights on being at a quiet beach, where park employees or authorities wouldn't hassle anyone on the beach during night hours?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,057,383 times
Hmm...a quiet nighttime beach. Honestly, I haven't been on the beach at night in years. We'll have to see if anybody else chimes in, and I'll ask around in the meantime. I would say that perhaps the beach at the Indian River inlet would permit night visits given fisherman fish there at all times of the day and night, but I cannot day for sure.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,110,571 times
I love Cape Henlopen State Park and it is so easy to get to. Other then that if you are by Fenwick then that is also a nice quieter beach.
We loved Bethany Beach also because of all the little shops there and cute restaurant areas. However, it is harder to park there as the spots get taken so quickly.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 AM

378 posts, read 496,453 times
Actually, the two least crowded beaches in Delaware are Bennets Pier and Fowlers Beach. I would NOT swim at either and I dont think you can even walk on the beach at Fowlers because of the bird sanctuary there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or