Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:43 PM

24 posts, read 120,425 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me which if any of the Delaware beaches are quiet and not crowded? I do not know the beaches there at all, but I am not looking for noisy boardwalks areas, or overcrowded beaches where you have to walk a half mile from a parking area. Something like Topsail or Kure Beaches in NC, if you have ever been. I am looking for a QUIET place to take my two young kids 5 and 8. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 07:05 PM

957 posts, read 3,698,765 times
Go through Dewey beach on Rt. headed South. Just after you exit civilization, you'll see the bay on the right and the ocean on the left. There are a few beach areas on both sides. Tower Rd and New Rd are on the bay side and are usually never crowded, even on excellent beach days. The water is no more than waist deep a good 300 feet out, so it's good for people (kids) with limited swimming skills. If you get bored with the bay, Tower Rd (ocean) and Key Box Rd are on the ocean side. Key Box is almost across the street from New Rd. The ocean usually has good waves, but it gets deep fast and there are currents. All of these beach area are state parks, so there is a fee for parking. I forget how much but it's not much. If you pay at one area, just show your receipt at the next one. At New Rd you park literally 6 feet from the water. On the ocean side, you have to walk up and over the dunes....maybe 200 feet or so.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
Unless the fee for daily use has gone up (I think the yearly permits have been raised), it should cost about $5.00 per day at the locations rossc mentioned.

Keep in mind that these ocean beaches are also used by fishermen(fisherpeople ), and unless things changed this year, they are unguarded beaches...no lifeguards.

I enjoy trolling both Tower and Key Box in the early spring to find shells. I also loved using these beaches in the evenings to just walk and reflect. Gee. I'm feelin' sorta homesick.

rossc, I want to thank you for your posts here. You have your facts correct in all that I have read. I have a home just behind Bethany. We built it '89. I've spent summers at Bethany since I was 9yo...and that's a dern long time!! btw, in regard to recent events, what do you think the gang in Dover will do about the IR Bridge project? What a bunch of maroons!!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Unless the fee for daily use has gone up (I think the yearly permits have been raised), it should cost about $5.00 per day at the locations rossc mentioned.

Keep in mind that these ocean beaches are also used by fishermen(fisherpeople ), and unless things changed this year, they are unguarded beaches...no lifeguards.

I enjoy trolling both Tower and Key Box in the early spring to find shells. I also loved using these beaches in the evenings to just walk and reflect. Gee. I'm feelin' sorta homesick.

rossc, I want to thank you for your posts here. You have your facts correct in all that I have read. I have a home just behind Bethany. We built it '89. I've spent summers at Bethany since I was 9yo...and that's a dern long time!! btw, in regard to recent events, what do you think the gang in Dover will do about the IR Bridge project? What a bunch of maroons!!
I just bought a season pass. It was $27 with DE plates. They are unguarded beaches. I think to get a guarded beach, you would be around the boardwalk with all the tourists.

I'm not sure what to think about the bridge. I heard they either lost funding or used up their allotted funding. I don't understand how they could get as far as they did without having funding in place. I've also heard that the underwater surveys of the existing bridge are scary and that there is a chance that they could just close the bridge. That would basically turn that stretch of Rt1 into a bike path. I guess if an underwater survey proved the bridge to be unsafe, that is a real possibility.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:53 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
We have relatives visiting and would also like to find a quiet beach for a day trip. I don't mind paying but would like to have a guarded beach but not one with a noisy crowded boardwalk, maybe one with a nature area nearby. Is this possible? I don't mind a bay beach versus an ocean beach.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:23 AM

199 posts, read 938,152 times
After what just recently happened in MN with the bridge collapse, maybe we all should be taking a hard look at our representatives and senators and asking, "What about our bridges?" Of course, you'd probably get a typical politician's answer, "I want to ensure all our citizens that we're working very closely with the federal and our state transportation and safety folks to make sure our bridges meet all federal and state safety requirements. Our citizens and visitors can feel secure when they travelling through our great state that our bridges are safe!" Camera fades and the TV station switches to a commercial.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:48 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
You can read about the Indian River Bridge issues at delawareonline.com

It is one huge mess. I personally do not believe the bridge is safe. It was called to the attention of government some time ago. A contract was awarded to replace the structure. The bid did not go to the lowest bidder. It was awarded to a contractor who vowed to bring the project in safer and faster. The unions are holding up the project. They are putting the safety of many, many people (not just locals) at serious risk. A previous bridge did collapse there in the late 1940s. People died.

The area is water locked in several directions. Without this bridge emergency services will need to travel 45 minutes to one hour (not taking into consideration summer gridlock) in order to reach the nearest hospital. The infrastructure in the area has not kept up with the population and building increase.

I don't find the unions totally responsible for the hold up. Those in power in Dover are folding and not taking the actions necessary to insure public safety.

Politics. Ya gotta laugh...only this one is not funny. It is a sad and dangerous situation.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Y I personally do not believe the bridge is safe.
Based on what I've heard, I'd agree. Someone whom I trust told me that the underwater portion of the bridge is so degraded that they survey it every couple months and that it should be closed, but for reasons you've mentioned, it really can't be closed.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Is this possible? I don't mind a bay beach versus an ocean beach.
In short, No. Any guarded beach will be crowded and over run by tourists. Nothing on the bay side is guarded. I think the only guarded beaches ar Rehoboth and Dewey near the boardwalk areas. That's a guess. I avoid those areas in the summer, so they may not be guarded either.

Even on the unguarded beaches it doesn't take long for the beach rescue people to show up if there is a problem. If it's serious, they will have a helicopter there very quickly.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 36,834 times
Default Try Cape Henlopen State Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Could anyone tell me which if any of the Delaware beaches are quiet and not crowded? I do not know the beaches there at all, but I am not looking for noisy boardwalks areas, or overcrowded beaches where you have to walk a half mile from a parking area. Something like Topsail or Kure Beaches in NC, if you have ever been. I am looking for a QUIET place to take my two young kids 5 and 8. Thanks so much.
Cape Henlopen State Park has 2 guarded ocean beaches, one at gordon's pond and one at the big bathhouse. Check it out! Nature trails, dunes, a swell campground where you can hear the surf at night, observation towers etc. Also next to the ferry towards Lewes there are a couple of nice bay beaches.

Last edited by interactman; 08-12-2007 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware