U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 04:23 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,057,383 times

Advertisements

Mexican food and dive bars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,300,467 times
Given your days here, you will want to do the beaches when you first get here, so in that sense it would be better to do the southern half of DE first and then travel back up to Wilmington for the weekend here, which would include Wilmington and burbs, Old New Castle and Newark's Main Street and UD campus. It really depends on your pleasures, but I wouldn't want to make night time commutes back to a central location in Dover. That's fine if you don't care to do night life, but if you enjoy partying a bit, I would suggest staying closer to where you are going to be hanging out. Thus Lewes or Rehoboth for the beach part of the trip and up in the Wilmington area for the northern DE part. I'm not sure where that leaves Dover, though you could spend a night there. In Dover I like Smither's for a restaurant-bar -- it's located in the old downtown area, not far from the Green and the state government stuff. McGlynn's Tavern may also be good. Never been to the one in Dover but I've heard excellent things from a young guy we know who goes to the location up here in northern DE (Pike Creek).

If I can help with recommendations about places to stay around Wilmington or places to eat/drink and visit, with anything more specific, please feel welcome to DM me.

And please do give us feedback after your trip in any event.

The visitors websites linked in the post above are strongly recommended! I'd agree about the wisdom of doing as much planning as possible before you come down.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:50 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,140,665 times
Just don't get caught hanging around the weeds at the visitor center, or the restroom. Remember (Something About Mary).

Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 PM

45 posts, read 87,976 times
James420 - are you saying there is "hair gel" all over the weeds and bathrooms at the visitor center?!

doctorjef - you wouldn't want to do the night drive because you wouldn't want to get a DWI or because driving back into Dover late night would be dangerous / scary?

You know what I am seriously thinking I should do - 2 nights at the beach, 2 in Dover, 2 in Wilmington.

I will DEFINITELY post after my trip.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 AM

Only the worry over driving under the influence, which in turn means you have to strictly limit yourself if you are at all prudent.

I'm not sure that Dover merits more than a one-night stay, but maybe that's just me. It could depend on whether or not you want to see a lot of rural central Delaware. Otherwise I'd delegate the other night's stay either to the beaches or to the upstate area. Rdlr would be a good person here to suggest what you could do over the course of two days in Kent County. BTW, if you do that, another historical site you might want to include is the John Dickenson Plantation, just south of Dover. You can do that and the Air Mobility Command Museum - if you are so inclined - on the same morning (I'd suggest a morning for a summertime visit). You could also use Dover as a stepping off point for some of the smaller towns in Kent, north Sussex, and southern New Castle counties. Camden-Wyoming outside of Dover, Odessa in southern New Castle County, Milford straddling the Kent and Sussex county lines, and Milton in Sussex County would be reasonable to do from Dover.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 AM

6,839 posts, read 7,768,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~seasoul~ View Post
You know what I am seriously thinking I should do - 2 nights at the beach, 2 in Dover, 2 in Wilmington.
I think you are generally on the right track. Staying where you want to be vs driving an hour back to Dover each night from the beach or Wilmington is not my idea of fun. I personally don't find any reason to stay in Dover at all unless you are interested in checking out real estate or exploring some of the rural towns in the area. There are just a couple of hours of activities there tops, depending on your interests, which can easily be taken in on your way between Wilmington and the beaches. Restaurants and nightlife are better in Wilmington and Rehoboth as well, IMO.

How you split your time all depends on your interests. Are you more interested in beachy activities, rural towns or museums, parks and gardens? With that answer, apportion your time accordingly. As others have noted, you'll enjoy your beach time more if you time it during the week vs the weekend as you'll have fewer crowds to contend with (not to mention accomodations will be less expensive).

Enjoy your visit.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM

296 posts, read 549,751 times
wonderful posts about the area. except i'd be more concerned about sharks than jellies. my daughter attracts sharks for some reason.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM

4,468 posts, read 4,722,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
That's true. Our biggest forest is Redden State Forest with only 9,500 acres Bridgeville/Georgetown area.

But, I really enjoy seeing the stand of baldcypress at Trap Pond State Park, the most northern found. Unusual sight for this area.

Trap Pond State Park, Laurel, Delaware

This is great! Thanks for the link!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Seasoul, here's something well worth seeing if you are driving around northern Delaware in the vicinity of Centreville: Belties of Centreville The only drawback is that the cows sometimes are sheltering in the woods from the heat, but they're a wonderful herd when visible. If not visible from Center Meeting Road, they can sometimes be seen from the other side of the property on Twaddle Mill Road. The backroads all around there are worth driving around on, as are the ones on the opposite side of Rt 52.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 PM

45 posts, read 87,976 times
Those Belties are incredible! I've never seen a cow like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware