Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times

Advertisements

Seasoul, so glad you had such an enjoyable time! If you come in the Fall, be sure to tour Hagley, just north of Wilmington in Greenville/Montchanin area. It is closer to town than Winterthur and is where the DuPonts started their operations when they first settled here shortly after fleeing the French Revolution. The reason to go there in the Autumn is that the wooded grounds are absolutely gorgeous. The Brandywine River runs through the property, as the black powder mill operations were powered from the river. It is absolutely beautiful in the Fall and quite interesting, too, to see the old mill race and the old stone buildings where the gunpowder was produced. The estate also includes the first real home that the DuPonts built in the early 19th Century - it's lovely (architecturally a lot more balanced and pleasing than the gigantic Winterthur mansion).

You might consider going down to Rehoboth for the Sea Witch festival that is basically the town's Halloween celebration, just before Halloween itself. Bethany Beach also has a festival in which they have a jazz funeral for Summer, with a procession along the boardwalk. That's a bit earlier, I think. I need to look on the internet, as I'd like to go down for that this year.

Sambo's Tavern in Leipsic doesn't close for the season until late October and is well worth a stop for lunch (open Mon-Sat from 11.00 for the kitchen and 9.00 a.m. for the bar!!!). It is on Rt 9 (in case you didn't pass through that way on your recent trip) and that is a very picturesque, thoroughly rural route). Sambo's has wonderful crab cakes and loads of other seafood.

Let us all know before your next trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~seasoul~ View Post
As promised, I'm posting after my trip to DE.

The short version: I did not want to go back home!

The historic section of New Castle was a favorite area of mine. Ate at Jessop's Tavern and did waaaay too much shopping at the little shops in that area.

Another favorite place was Lewes and specifically Cape Henlopen State Park beach. That is a damn good beach. Historic stuff in Lewes and restaurants were a great part of the trip.

Enjoyed the historic village in Dover and was thrilled to find an entire street just outside Dover where every single house had a barn and horses! (I have a horse that I currently board, but dream of owning more horses and keeping them at home some day).

Biggest surprise about DE: the people. I should have expected friendly based on you lovely folks that have offered such helpful advice here in this thread, but my goodness the people of DE are AWESOME! We met so many nice, friendly, genuine people all over the state.

Also loved: Bethany Beach, Winterthur tour and surrounding area, Odessa, the bridges, all of the agriculture throughout the state, farmers markets, and the CRAB CAKES!!

DE definitely has more traffic than where I live in WNY. By that I mean that there are many more cars on the roads and you have to stay alert when driving. However, I liked that the people kept it moving and I liked the way people drive there in general.

I really can't say enough about your lovely state! I guess the ONE thing I wish was different is that you had more varied topography / more hills in the lower 2 counties, like you have in N.C. county, but that is a minor nit-pick in the grand scheme, right?

One other interesting note, at least I thought it was interesting: The people in the northernmost county really seem to look down their noses at "slower lower / lower slower". But the reverse did not seem to be true. I adored the people and the surroundings in all 3 counties and think DE has a TON going for it. What a phenomenal state!

Already planning another trip in the Fall to see more.

Oh my gosh and the bugs were non-existent! Something I was really concerned about with that intense humidity you have there. I think it is too humid even for bugs in DE. The bugs moved to Florida to escape the DE humidity! I would buy a house with A/C and a POOL in DE.

Humidity you should try being here this week, good grief, 110 heat index for Friday.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 AM

20 posts, read 44,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~seasoul~ View Post
I've decided I've got to come see DE for myself this summer. I'm going to stay in Dover and explore from there. While I'm looking forward to a day or 2 at the beach (weekday of course) I think what I really need to do is simply drive around the suggested areas and hang out at some little diners to get a feel for how I'd fit in in various parts of DE.

DE sounds very unique to me. From the way you all have described it, DE sounds different from anywhere I've ever lived (MA, IL, CA, RI, NC, HI, NY).

I can't wait to see the state for myself.
Seasoul.. hi.. how did your visit go to DE/Oceanview area? curious because I would like to visit too.

thanks.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolier View Post
Seasoul.. hi.. how did your visit go to DE/Oceanview area? curious because I would like to visit too.

thanks.
Yes, I've been looking forward to hearing about this, too.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:21 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,223 times
It's a great time to visit Ocean View! The weather is still nice, the crowds are gone, and the leaves are at peak (but they are starting to blow away...).

Old 11-13-2011, 06:30 PM

9,721 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
It's a great time to visit Ocean View! The weather is still nice, the crowds are gone, and the leaves are at peak (but they are starting to blow away...).
Ocean View is really a pleasant place, especially this time of year. We'll be down there this coming week, and will catch lunch at the Grotto's on Atlantic Avenue. Mid week it's supposed to be in the 60's, I think.

Speaking of leaves blowing......that's my favorite thing in the Fall! Watching the millions of leaves blow off our gigantic nut trees. What doesn't blow away gets mowed in the Spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware