Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM

49 posts, read 140,102 times

Advertisements

As stated in several threads, we are moving to Harbeson in June. I am completely spoiled by Verizon Fios here in MD but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available where we are moving. In my new development, Verizon teams with Direct TV to provide TV and I believe they install some DSL line for internet (not sure). My alternative is Comcast. I had Comcast here for years and when it work it was good (not as good as FIOS). But problems happened all the time and their Customer Service is terrible. Almost as bad as their repair service. Might be different in DE. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
We've used Comcast here exclusively for internet and cable tv. I've found their customer service to be reasonably responsive and helpful. We used Verizon for our phone service but I encountered billing problems with them and got rid of Verizon in favour of having Comast for phone service as well. I think there actually seem to be more problems with Verizon in this part of the state than with Comcast. Our neighborhood has Verizon repair trucks CONSTANTLY doing repairs. In fairness, we live in a very wooded area and the power company also is out here frequently to clear and repair lines that have been disrupted by tree incidents. Yet I see Verizon out here much more than DP&L, so there seem to be an especially high level of problems with Verizon.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 PM

To your point about Verizon and why they don't have a lot of problems here...Fios is fiber optic and buried...nothing above ground..a very thin cable..like about 16 gauge..may not even be possible in the low lands. Once it's layed..it works...High wires always have issues...I'm sure I'll live but I will miss Fios.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 PM

347 posts, read 863,442 times
We moved to De apprx 18 months ago and use Directv.The picture quality is outstanding and we have not had problems with the service except if it is really downpouring. Even on a rare downpour the service may scramble a bit but returns soon. My only complaint would be that it is very $$$. Each tv/box, HD, channel selection can really add up. There are charges for installation if wiring is needed in your home. They no longer place the "dish" on the top of your home so you will need to see where the dish will be placed to receive the signal. It may be in the front or side of your home or perhaps mounted to a pole adjacent to your home. Also there are several different contract options related to the length of service so be sure you are entering into a time frame that is acceptable to you. The other tv option in my neighborhood is Verizon with all underground lines. We use Verizon for internet and telephone with no complaints.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
I'm restoring this thread again to hear more about Comcast. Being someone who had satellite once (and went running back to Cablevision in NY) and having years of experience with bad billing and customer service from Verizon (and therefore don't really want Fios), it seems that Comcast will be my choice. I want the "cable channels" and do need to have a good internet connection for my "hobby".

But as I continue to read about Comcast, other than what Doctorjef said above, most people hate Comcast about as much as they hate just about any other company on the planet. Therefore, I'm asking the following question, hoping that there might be something positive in the answers. Leaving cost out of the discussion (because no one likes the cost), does anyone like Comcast in Delaware? Is anyone satisfied with the services? Has anyone had some positive experiences to share?

Thanks in advance ... I hope.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:56 AM

242 posts, read 533,958 times
I had Comcast when I lived in West Chester, PA and it was a constant battle with them with my billing. Every bill was completely off. I asked for a one time deduction from my checking account and they made the mistake of making it a recurring payment which caused a whole other set of problems. It was a good 6 months before all my billing got situated.

Now, I have Comcast again in Elkton, MD for cable & internet. No problems so far, except the technician was 2 hours late when he came to install the cable box, etc. (the time frame was from 3-6pm and he got there around 8pm)...but the technician was very friendly, and I got a $20 credit since he was late. Other than that, no problems. Except we don't get the On Demand feature in our area (not sure about DE?), but should be getting it soon (I hope). Never had any problems with our internet, it hasn't gone down at all since we moved in in the past 7 months or so.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
I have never had any issues with Comcast cable t.v and internet. We've had there cable for t.v for about 15 years and internet for about 5 years.
I've had to fix the phone wiring in both houses that I've lived in when Comcast left. It seems phone wiring is a nightmare for them. Fortunately both of the houses have been ranch style home with unfinished basements so I could easilly access their mistakes. Other than phone stuff Comcast has been fine.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,811 times
I've been using Comcast for internet at my home in Greenwood for the past 2 years and I love it. It's always very fast and reliable!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:09 PM

Well I guess we're getting verizon HS internet/phone plus Direct TV....salesman made it sound like a good deal but they are all snake oil salesmen. At least I don't have to pay a termination fee from here. Oh it did get the Free $20 installation..yeh you heard that right..

Old 06-21-2011, 04:42 PM

392 posts, read 990,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Therefore, I'm asking the following question, hoping that there might be something positive in the answers. Leaving cost out of the discussion (because no one likes the cost), does anyone like Comcast in Delaware? Is anyone satisfied with the services? Has anyone had some positive experiences to share?
Thanks in advance ... I hope.
I like Comcast and have had it for many years. Little trouble with them here and there but not enough to make me want to cancel them. I will most likely keep Comcast as long as I have a TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware