U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 PM

47 posts, read 80,987 times

Advertisements

we are considering a move to delaware and are looking at these two areas. we are in our early 30s with two children under 4 and are hoping to find a neighborhood with lots of young families where it will be easy to meet friends for us and our children. are we looking in the right areas? are there other areas we should be adding? thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:27 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,292,961 times
Westhaven has many more small children than Westover Hills. Westhaven is immediately contiguous to Westover Hills and I think it has charming houses, though a few aren't very well kept up. Unlike Westover Hills, Westhaven is full of sleeping policemen (speed bumps). Generally it is cheaper in terms of property prices, especially for a family with children ( the more expensive Westover Hills includes some small post-war ranchers that are much less pricey than most of the surrounding properties and excellent for empty nesters and childless yuppies). Both come with the Greenville postcode, 19807, and are often lumped in as part of Greenville. Two other close by neighborhoods are the rather small Westpark (essentially a single long, looping street that is squeezed in between Westhaven, Westover Hills, and the DuPont Barley Mill facility) and Westmoreland, which is on the opposite side of DuPont Road, backing up to the golf course. Westpark isn't nearly as nice as Westhaven or Westover Hills and some property there has recently been on the market for ages before selling (or still not selling in one case I can think of), so I wouldn't recommend it, although there are plenty of kids over there. Westmoreland has some very nice houses but segues into a not so nice area and would probably be less attractive to most folks with younger kids.

Finally I should point out that there are two distinct sections of Westover Hills. The really richy-rich section is accessed solely via Berkley Road, while the more diverse and larger section is accessed via DuPont Road, Westover Road, and a couple of other streets that come off Kennett Pike/Rt 52/Pennsylvania Ave. (three names for the same thing). It is that larger section with more diverse properties that in turn is contiguous with Westhaven and Westpark. Normally these neighborhoods are all wonderfully quiet and peaceful.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 PM

I think I may have over-stated the relative childlessness of the section of Westover Hills that is accessed via Dupont Rd, Westover Rd and Hopeton. This area does IMO have a higher percentage of homes with either no children or no young children, relative to Westhaven. However, since Westover Hills is a good deal larger than Westhaven, the absolute number of young children in Westover Hills may well be at least as great as that in Westhaven. They would be a bit more spread out over the development, however.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 PM

thanks so much for the info!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:58 PM

one more question, do most of the kids in these areas go to private school? we're considering this area bc we're hoping to use public schools and they seem pretty good but am wondering if neighborhood friends would most likely be in private?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:28 PM

I've no idea really. Certainly some of the kids will attend private schools because these are upper income areas and many kids from more affluent homes go to private schools here. However, these areas are also in the Red Clay school district, which generally is quite good, particularly the schools that they would be attending in this area of Red Clay. I'm sure many of the kids also attend public school, but it could easily be as much as a 50-50 split between public and private in these areas.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM

604 posts, read 1,775,345 times
Being snobbish goes with both those developments so you should be prepared for your children to bug you about going to Tower Hill or Friends or Tatnall (like their friends in the neighborhood)

Old 07-07-2011, 06:10 AM

I truly don't think Westhaven could be that snobbish, depending on your definition of snobbishness. It's a nice enough neighborhood but it isn't some really rich place by any means. Indeed, the larger section of Westover Hills (where I live) is a mixed bag with everything from multi-million dollar mansions to houses that now would be lucky to sell in the 450K range (though hopefully they will recover value over the next several years). There are, in fact, some quite middle class people living here. When we were house hunting in the overall Wilmington area in early 2007 we just couldn't find much that really appealed to us. We bought in Westover Hills not because it was the best house on our short list but because it was the nicest and most centrally located neighborhood. The smaller and more expensive section of Westover Hills accessed via Berkeley Road (where the unfortunate Tigani had his mansion) is a different story; in that section there are a very few rather ordinary houses but most of it is quite grand.

If I were considering private school here I think I might be inclined to circumvent Tower Hill and Tatnall, and instead try to go with Wilmington Friends School.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,137,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I truly don't think Westhaven could be that snobbish, depending on your definition of snobbishness. It's a nice enough neighborhood but it isn't some really rich place by any means. Indeed, the larger section of Westover Hills (where I live) is a mixed bag with everything from multi-million dollar mansions to houses that now would be lucky to sell in the 450K range (though hopefully they will recover value over the next several years). There are, in fact, some quite middle class people living here. When we were house hunting in the overall Wilmington area in early 2007 we just couldn't find much that really appealed to us. We bought in Westover Hills not because it was the best house on our short list but because it was the nicest and most centrally located neighborhood. The smaller and more expensive section of Westover Hills accessed via Berkeley Road (where the unfortunate Tigani had his mansion) is a different story; in that section there are a very few rather ordinary houses but most of it is quite grand.

If I were considering private school here I think I might be inclined to circumvent Tower Hill and Tatnall, and instead try to go with Wilmington Friends School.

Those schools are 20 to 25 grand a year, I have no idea how people afford to send 1 child much less 2 or 3. Good schools but man are they expensive.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,722 times
...no idea? I do- in a VERY high percentage of the cases, the parents of these private school kid's parents are bankrolling the tuition and other living expenses. Yes- basically it's the grand parents still taking care of their kids or trickled down trust funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware