U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:04 PM

58 posts, read 99,435 times

Advertisements

I live in the annapolis area and it takes me a good 40-45 min on a good day. So, if you left real early maybe about 3:00 hours. Note in the summer on Fridays the Bay bridge is a mess in the afternoon. You can take 95 south. Ether way its a drive.

j
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 20,536 times
Is there a train that would get me to Baltimore from Newark, DE? And from there I could take public transportation to get to Columbia? Or, is that idea just as impracticle as driving?

Another question: Is there a flow to traffic? Here in San Diego, a freeway may be a nightmare going North in the morning but if you're headed south it's much easier. Is it like that in this area? or is the traffic bad in both directions in morning and evening?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:58 PM

6,832 posts, read 7,759,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose619 View Post
So, there is no way to stay relatively close to Philly and make a commute to Columbia, MD. My friends are all in Philly so wanted to stay close, plus I hear the baltimore area is not so great.
You will have a hard time staying close to Phily and working in Columbia. Although you didn't ask, living in Newark doesn't seem like a terrific idea to me. In addition to the arduous commute to and from work each day (which I could only imagine would become more and more wearing as time unfolds), you are still not close to Philly. How much energy would you really have to head up to Philly after returning from Columbia?

I note your concerns about Baltimore. Have you visited? There are some great neighborhoods such as Federal Hill, Fells Point, Harbor East, Mt Vernon and others. As affordable as Philly is, Baltimore is more so. On top of it, it would be an easy train ride to see your friends in Philly for the occasional weekend. I'd say you owe it to yourself to go for a visit.

Best of luck

Old 07-13-2011, 03:09 PM

This is all so disappointing to hear. I was hoping it was some how do-able to be in DE and travel to Columbia....I guess I'll have to figure something else out.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:38 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,995,562 times
On the east coast there is an extensive discount bus system which would take you roundtrip from DC to Philly for 20-30 dollars. Some people spend that on parking alone. Since you'll be commuting more than hanging with them, I'd say live close to work, within metro to DC or Baltimore, and take the bus from there to Philly.

Logically, it figures to have a comfy commute to work, and bus it up to Philly. You could get out of work at 5, catch the bus at 6, be in Center city Philly by 8, have your fun with your friends, crash, and head back at 6 and be at work on time. You could spend every weekend with your friends as well. By the way, Baltimore and Washington are both awesome towns in their own right.

Here, I looked this up for you:

Departs 6:50 AM Baltimore, White Marsh Mall

Arrives 8:50 AM Philadelphia, 30th St Station

2hrs 0mins
Megabus PHL

1 seat = $9.00

http://us.megabus.com/?tag=google09s...FSI55QodwG9K0A

http://us.megabus.com/JourneyResults.aspx

Last edited by Joe84323; 07-13-2011 at 04:50 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 02:26 PM

Good idea, Thanks!!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,250 times
I work in Columbia, MD and am moving back to Newark, DE next week. I plan to do the commute 2/3 days per week. Over the last few weeks I have been timing it and if you leave around 6am, it takes about an hour and 20 minutes to get to Columbia (area near I-95). What part of Columbia are you talking about? There are parts of Columbia that are another 20-30 minutes from I-95? I looked into MARC and Amtrak and it was too difficult and Amtrak only takes you to BWI.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM

It is on Benjamin Franklin Drive, if that helps. Not sure what part of Columbia that is. It says that is located on the I-95 Corridor. 1 hour and 20 minutes does not seem that bad, especially for this job.

Someone earlier said that Newark, DE is not that close to Philly, is that true? I thought it was about 25 miles away, am I way off? Is it farther than that?

Thanks!!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:19 PM

422 posts, read 1,230,035 times
Not sure what the mileage is between Newark and Phlly but traffic congestion in Chester is somethign you would have to contend with between those two.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,204,056 times
You can drive from Newark to Philly in about 40 minutes, give or take. If there is a backup, it is usually in Chester, especially around the Barry Bridge. However, there are back roads that will take you around any backups. You would need to be adventurous since you would be traveling into Chester. There are also train stations along that route and it would be easy to park and take the train into town. Just make sure that you have a schedule. DM me if you want to know where the local stations are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware