U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:20 AM

58 posts, read 99,416 times

Advertisements

From the net these places look great;however, are the house right on top of each other and is it a 55+ community? With house's that close other peoples noise could drive you nuts if you retired there. Anybody have any info pros and cons?

j
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
You should be able to tell how close the houses are by looking at the area on Google maps. The satellite view will show the houses and how close they are.

If it's on a main road, you might even be able to drag the stick figure to the map to take a little "walk down the street" and see how it looks from that perspective.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 AM

thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 AM

What about bayside in West Fenwick ??? It looks less crowded

Old 07-15-2011, 03:06 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,956,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimorecolt View Post
From the net these places look great;however, are the house right on top of each other and is it a 55+ community? With house's that close other peoples noise could drive you nuts if you retired there. Anybody have any info pros and cons?

j
FWIW, I will be there on a tour tomorrow. I've looked online, and examined the floor plans on NVHomes' site, and from those perspectives, they look and sound great.
But - my earlier review using Google Earth shows the homes to be EXTREMELY close, so we're not really sure we're going to like it.

I'll write back into this thread next week with our opinions and other info we dig up.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,052,855 times
The homes are somewhat close (concerned us as well), but the people there are mostly retirees or weekenders (typically older). There are a couple families with young children who live there year round. Believe me, we cannot stand noisy neighbors either. The development is not on a main road, but it is at the end of a dead end road which ends at a state park. The state park backs up to Bethany Preserve.

Bayside in west Fenwick is a great development as well....

Old 07-16-2011, 05:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
On the positive side, the smaller the property the less yard work you have to do.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimorecolt View Post
j
As promised, the following are our opinions regarding Bethany Preserves and Bay Forest, from our tour with them last weekend.

The two properties are similar in ways, and both are offered by the same entity, NV Homes. Many (if not all) of the home designs and options are the same in both communities, as are the offerings for buyer interaction with the builders and project managers, and the home warranties. Both properties appeared very clean, orderly, and well-kept.

Of the two, Bay Forest (BF) offers many, many more amenities, and is thus, the more expensive option. BP is much closer to the beach, but is made up of only 36 homes, so there is a bit more risk than in BF, where there are more than 800 homes absorbing the common costs.

From our perspective, and even though my wife wants to be near the beach, we felt that BP was quite drab, and we will not consider buying there. All of the lots that back up to the park are already taken, and the remaining lots are very flat and featureless, in our opinion. Much of the construction is still underway, and many of the plots are still available. But the costs, both up-front, and monthly, are considerably less than in BF.

BF was a pleasant surprise to us. We really liked the layout. There are trees between the homes in many areas, and the land has been graded with slopes and mounds, so that it does not appear so flat. There are sidewalks and shuttle-stops scattered throughout the complex, and the clubhouse and pool are absolutely gorgeous! There are walking paths through wooded areas, with fountains and wonderful landscaping throughout. We could easily see ourselves living in BF.

You might like to know that NV Homes is also currently offering some nice incentives in both communities, giving up to $20K in discounts on home options, and waiving the loan origination fee through July 2011. This definitely sweetens the deal! We found we could afford several of the options if we took advantage of these deals.

Unfortunately, we are not yet ready to move, and we could not, as yet, sign on the dotted lines. Also ... while we ARE leaving the option for BF open, we are extremely concerned about the HOA fees on both BF and BP. They are some of the highest I have seen anywhere in Delaware, with BF at $200/month, and BP at $160/month. The taxes are about $100/month, and then there are monthly sewer and water infrastructure fees of $40/month (+usage on the water). This puts annual taxes and fees at about $4,000, which, to us, seems exceptionally high for any area in Delaware. Of course, YMMV, as they say.

I hope you find the above information useful in your searches. Good luck!!!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 PM

7,321 posts, read 10,750,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Also ... while we ARE leaving the option for BF open, we are extremely concerned about the HOA fees on both BF and BP. They are some of the highest I have seen anywhere in Delaware, with BF at $200/month, and BP at $160/month. The taxes are about $100/month, and then there are monthly sewer and water infrastructure fees of $40/month (+usage on the water). This puts annual taxes and fees at about $4,000, which, to us, seems exceptionally high for any area in Delaware. Of course, YMMV, as they say.
I think if you look around Delaware a little more, you'll find the HOA fees of $200/month or $160/month to be rather low in Bethany Preserve and Bethany Forest Club. That's in comparison to others in Delaware, considering both of those communities have very nice clubhouses and the communities are close to the water. In the Dover area, in 55+ communities, some HOA fees are $190-$200/month and those communities are not close to the water, and their clubhouses are not as elaborate. Some of those do include outside maintenance of the dwelling though, which accounts for a portion of the fee.

In addition, real estate taxes are based on the assessed value of the property (not the appraised value). So tax bills can vary quite a bit, depending on your specific property. Same for water/sewer usage.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM
pvs

Interesting, rdlr. While I am not questioning your advice here, I have not found HOAs that are that high, using RE websites. Maybe when I see a rate (on those sites) of $15-$25/month, there is something being left out. Hmmm.

We are planning to come back down around Ocktoberfest time, to look around some more, and we will definitely select a few different communities for comparisons, vs resales (which is where we've been spending most of our energies till now.

Indeed, if these are the going rates, BF is an excellent choice, ESPECIALLY with the incentives they are currently offering.

I (obviously) need to do more research on HOAs. I have somewhat of a distrust about them, fearing that they might rise unexpectedly and drastically at any time. Up till now, I have been trying to avoid them at all costs. But as my ldy REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to be "a stone's throw" from the sand, I guess I might have to bite.

Thanks so much for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware