U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:38 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,973,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Grease -- EWWW!!!
Aaahhh, DoctorJ, we really do need to teach you to appreciate the finer things in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Aaahhh, DoctorJ, we really do need to teach you to appreciate the finer things in life.
Gotta die somehow

Old 07-22-2011, 06:53 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,198,817 times
Most of us who grew up on cheesesteaks are alive and kicking, so I think that's considered health food!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 PM

7,321 posts, read 10,752,675 times
We just got back from the Fair and I got a cheesesteak from a local stand. I don't go to the portable trailers that travel with the rides.....I prefer the "healthy" cheesesteaks sold next to the farm animals. Oh, I just thought of another "Delaware Thing". It's not "greasie". It's "greeeezzzzzeee".

Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 AM

378 posts, read 495,548 times
In Milford the best places for steak sandwiches are Pavliks and Capriotti"s. Pavliks also has the best Italian subs in the state if not all of Delmarva.
I dont like all Capriotti's but the cooks at the one in Milford are the exception.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:57 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,292,961 times
A slight tangent, but isn't Capriotti's going national? Also, years before ever moving to Delaware I read somewhere that Subway started in DE. Does anyone know if that's true? Guess I could look at the Subway website and see if it has any company history...

OK, just looked at the Subway website and answered one of my two questions: Subway started in Connecticut. As I was in Texas when I heard or read that it started in DE, it was clearly a case of a Texas information source not being able to distinguish between all those confusing little states up east (when we moved here, a friend of mine in Texas thought that DE was in New England and that no one actually lived here: it was, she thought, just the home of a bunch of banks' credit card operations -- she was the same friend who, when we were moving to Lithuania, stated that she hadn't realized Lithuania was a real country as opposed to "just one of those made-up countries").

Old 07-24-2011, 02:22 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,973,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
A slight tangent, but isn't Capriotti's going national? Also, years before ever moving to Delaware I read somewhere that Subway started in DE. Does anyone know if that's true? Guess I could look at the Subway website and see if it has any company history.
The "common knowledge", given the original in-store decor (maps of the NYC Subway lines) and the initial names of the sandwiches, was always that Subway started here in New York City. However, it's not true. The first Subway Sandwich shoppe actually opened in Connecticut! Now why they called it "Subway" instead of "The New Haven Line" is beyond me.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:32 PM

9 posts, read 22,270 times
Best cheese steak I've ever had in Delaware was from Cleveland Ave Sub Shop. They stay true to their name of big ass steaks!

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Tapatalk

Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,198,817 times
[quote=doctorjef;20156719]A slight tangent, but isn't Capriotti's going national? QUOTE]

Capriotti's has been in Vegas for years. So I was curious to see where else they had opened:
Arizona
California
Florida
Iowa
Maryland
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Utah
Nevada
Wisconsin

Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 PM

96 posts, read 168,762 times
My favorite cheesesteak is at Arienzo's (hope I spelled that right) in New Castle, right off Rt. 13 NB, right about where Rt 13 and Rt. 1 first come together (i.e., north of the ditch). I happened on it a few years ago on my way to VA and have been stopping there ever since. It's a small place that was originally part of a little strip mall. The LSM has become a larger SM which now includes a grocery store and a big, honkin' WAWA gas station/quick stop on 13. This thread reminds me... I haven't stopped by in awhile. Gonna have to correct that before much longer! Yum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or