U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 PM

58 posts, read 99,838 times

Advertisements

From the info I gathered on this site over the past week or so, it seems south Delaware has its nice places near the beach – or about 10 to 15 miles out- but the hidden costs with some HOA fees, combined with property taxes , living in a 55+ community etc ….. could push ones expenses more than one would pay in a high tax state like Maryland , where I live now. So, what do you think? Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,994,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimorecolt View Post
From the info I gathered on this site over the past week or so, it seems south Delaware has its nice places near the beach – or about 10 to 15 miles out- but the hidden costs with some HOA fees, combined with property taxes , living in a 55+ community etc ….. could push ones expenses more than one would pay in a high tax state like Maryland , where I live now. So, what do you think? Is this true?
What I think from your posts is that you seem to have some misconceptions or questionable feelings or concerns about Delaware. I think the questions about HOA fees have been answered appropriately and I don't believe them to be "hidden" costs at all. If one does true due diligence, there is no hidden anything.

If cost is your primary motivation and you've determined that living in Delaware will cost you more than living in Maryland, then the answer is easy - don't go to Delaware.

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 07-20-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 01:14 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,932,144 times
It's possible you're comparing apples and oranges. In other words, comparing beach town property to regular property. Instead, compare properties that are 10 miles from the ocean in DE to properties that are 10 miles from the ocean in MD (or California, New Jersey, Florida--any areas with oceanfront beach property).

I would move back to southern California in a heartbeat if I could find property in a beach town for under $500,000. That's never going to happen, however, so DE wins hands down for me. If you do know of a beach town that's a better bargain, though, I'd love to hear about it.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM

58 posts, read 99,838 times
Ok, Calabash NC or carolina shores NC , granted it has more bugs then DE

Old 07-20-2011, 01:48 PM

7,370 posts, read 10,812,436 times
Quote:
From the info I gathered on this site over the past week or so, it seems south Delaware has its nice places near the beach or about 10 to 15 miles out- but the hidden costs with some HOA fees, combined with property taxes , living in a 55+ community etc .. could push ones expenses more than one would pay in a high tax state like Maryland , where I live now. So, what do you think? Is this true?
It goes without saying, the more you expect to receive in the way of amenities and services, the more you will pay, i.e. pool, tennis, exterior of house maintained, clubhouse, and mowing taken care of. Added to that, the higher price home you have the more taxes you will pay. Some 55+ communities plan activities for you, and some provide an activities director. That's all included in your HOA fee. This new phenomena is fairly new to Delaware, and builders have caught on quickly. I personally don't know of any natives or locals who've bought into that concept of housing. These are marketed to out-of-staters, those who've paid high taxes and high everything in their home states. These communities have been very successful, and newcomers love them. So, it's all relative - cheap to some, expensive to other.

I'm a cheapskate. I live in a small town, my total taxes town and county taxes are around $500/year total, which includes trash pickup and recycling. Our quarterly water/sewer bill is around $115, depending on how much I water my flowers in the summer. We either mow our own lawn, or hire it done if we don't feel like it. We maintain our own house, inside and out and it's no big deal for us because we have licensed contractors, electricians and plumbers who live around us and can fix whatever we need, quick and at $20/hour, + tip and a Pepsi. We don't need a clubhouse or activities planned because all our friends live around us, and we do things together, or we run off alone to do our own thing. We're 71 & 72, and we operate our own business.

As much talk as there's been about HOA fees, I'd like to point out that those communities are not the only choice in Delaware. There are many more properties for sale NOT in an age restricted community, NOT in any kind of subdivision, and they have no HOA fees. And you don't have to go way out in the country to find those. They're everywhere, in both Kent and Sussex Counties. The point I'm trying to make is, you have choices. Find out what you need, what you want, and how much you're willing to pay. Delaware has a lot to offer whether your laundry list is long, or short.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 PM

If that's your idea of heaven, go for it! Those communities are in the middle of nowhere, however. Myrtle Beach is the closest town and it's about a 40 minute drive. You'll still have HOA fees, and I'd check your insurance rates. The reason this area is largely undeveloped is it's been hit by 9-10 major hurricanes. Those are concerns for me, but if it's not a big deal for you--congrats on finding a place that you like.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,967,768 times
Quote:
From the info I gathered on this site over the past week or so, it seems south Delaware has its nice places near the beach or about 10 to 15 miles out- but the hidden costs with some HOA fees, combined with property taxes , living in a 55+ community etc .. could push ones expenses more than one would pay in a high tax state like Maryland , where I live now. So, what do you think? Is this true?
Wow! When I decided to post the findings from my trip last week, I certainly didn't intend to start a debate like this. But I indeed WAS surprised at the total "tax" bill (including HOA and other fees) that I found in particular communities. From the responses I received, I do see now, that MANY of these communities have very similar fees.

However, I do not feel that this is smoke and mirrors. As Charley states, one must do their own math, using their own numbers, and see what works out best for them. This is the process I, personally, am going through now. This forum is an incredible tool to use in helping to nail down these costs, and getting explanations of what to expect ... but each person should really be doing his/her own homework, using his/her own numbers, to see how a move to DE would affect his/her own situation.

As to whether you can get a better deal elsewhere, this is also something you must decide/calculate for yourself. But in doing so, be sure to remember to include ALL costs, including Income Taxes, Sales Taxes, Insurance rates, fuel and food prices, etc. It is NOT just about Property taxes and HOA fees.

Also remember, when it comes to those fees ... there are many, MANY properties available, a bit north or west of the beaches, where there are no (or very low) HOA fees, and property taxes on nice sized properties that are below $1K annually. So the spin regarding low taxes in DE is NOT untrue. It's just a matter of where you look and what you're looking for.

So on that note, in a way, I am glad that I might've opened up a few eyes, so that readers of this forum realize that they need to do some research and math before jumping into the fray. And as you do your calculations, also be sure to include, as Charley mentions, the services and maintenance that the HOA fees are paying for. Because when you own a home without those fees, you must pay for those services in other ways ... materials and DIY, or labor+materials+overhead to hire someone to do them for you. There IS no free lunch, so to speak. The more time you spend doing your homework, the fewer surprises you will find later in the game.

Good luck to you in your research and planning, baltimorecolt. No matter what you choose, I hope you manage to find the solution that best fits your needs.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 27 days ago)

1,773 posts, read 3,074,618 times
Maybe move to an older community which has many retirees? Quite a few of those in my area, including the one I live in. Our lot is 1/4 acre. My costs are as follows:

$1100/year in taxes
$240/year trash removal
$250/year for sewer
$60/year HOA, but don't expect anything other than street lights and a free b-b-q once a year
Water is free (have a well)

Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
However, I do not feel that this is smoke and mirrors. As Charley states, one must do their own math, using their own numbers, and see what works out best for them. This is the process I, personally, am going through now.
As are many of us. It's so helpful to compare notes on this forum, and I'm so happy that people have posted very specific details as well as reactions both good and bad.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Maybe move to an older community which has many retirees? Quite a few of those in my area, including the one I live in. My costs are as follows:

$1100/year in taxes
$240/year trash removal
$250/year for sewer
$60/year HOA, but don't expect anything other than street lights and a free b-b-q once a year
Water is free (have a well)
Which community is this? (Or, if you'd rather not say, can you name some of the various communities in your area that would have the same or similar fees?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or