U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:51 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times

Advertisements

Since so many of us are retiring and have spent some time researching both communities in DE and FL, and thought it might be helpful to discuss differences between the two. I'm interested in all kinds of things, whatever differences you may happen to know about.

For example--lightning. I've heard that FL has lots of lightning. Is this because it's on the Atlantic coast? And ifso, does DE also have a lot of lightning? (And if so, are fires a problem in DE?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 11:14 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,052,855 times
Yes, there are many more lightning strikes in Florida than in Delaware, but we have had fires due to lightning strikes here as well. More people tend to be outside year round in Florida; therefore, there are more deaths due to lightning strikes.

I am a big fan of both Delaware and Florida, but I only like (and will reside in) coastal areas. My comments will be geared towards the southwest coast of Florida (don't care for the east coast) vs. the southeast coast of Delaware. Something Delaware and Florida have in common right off the bat: lifestyles and the people who live along the south coasts are VERY different than lifestyles of people who live north or inland. As somebody who has lived in both extreme northern and extreme southern Delaware, I can assure everyone that lifestyles here in southeast Delaware are quite unique in regard to life in northern Delaware or western Delaware.

O.k.--similarities between southwest Florida and southeast Delaware: both are tourist magnets, both have beautiful beaches (but Florida has many more, with clearer water) and a variety of entertainment at these beaches, and both are populated by mostly seniors and people who are NOT native to the area. Both areas tend to have less violent crime and poverty than inland locations and both areas are more expensive than inland locations. And--both areas attract people from the city who are looking for a more laid-back lifestyle.

My opinion on how Florida is nicer than Delaware--and keep in mind that I only visit Florida during their hottest time of the year (June-August): beaches are nicer, cleaner, and less crowded since there are more beaches to choose from. Their water is cleaner and prettier, much better for snorkeling. Kayaking and other outdoor activities can be done year round. My in-laws don't live there. There are more jobs in the science field (outdoors) for people like me. They have planned development and the proper infastructure to support their population and visitors. Police are more proactive (at least where we visit). People have more pride in their communities (at least ones I'd live in) and are very intolerant of lowlifes, law breakers, and troublemakers. Drug activity is more isolated rather than in every imaginable area (like Delaware). Summers down there are cooler and less humid than summers in Delaware. Time and time again this holds true...although I am told that inland locations and the panhandle are much more brutal with heat/humidity than Delaware ever could be. I have visited Orlando in July, and I believe it. Oh, and my favorite: Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law. Florida, for the most part, is much tougher on criminals than Delaware and gives more power to law abiding citizens as well. This is a big plus in my book.

My opinion on how Delaware is nicer than Florida: People are generally friendlier and I'm not viewed as an "outsider" here (since I'm native). We have less gang activity. We have four gorgeous seasons and we do not have summer temps which last six months (southwest Florida does). I can use my 4wd Jeep here. We have shorter, more brutal summers but southwest Florida has five to six month of temps above 80. I don't care for hot weather and heat gets on my nerves...it's as if the hot temps linger around just to irritate me. Florida has many creatures there that can kill you, such as many deadly snakes, alligators, crocodiles, spiders, jellyfish, etc. The only creatures here in Delaware that are poisonous are the brown recluse and black widow spiders and the copperhead snake. However, they are nowhere near as poisonous and numerous as the deadly snakes and spiders in Florida. Nobody has ever died from a copperhead bite. Florida is also buggier, and these bugs will find their way into even the nicest homes. It's cheaper to register and tag cars here. We rarely have to worry about hurricanes. And--I believe southeast Delaware has better schools and is just a better place for children in general...less worries too.

I am sure I can think of more comparisons, but I'll leave this for now .

Last edited by beachliz; 07-24-2011 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 07-24-2011, 12:10 PM

49 posts, read 114,591 times
As a new resident of Sussex Co. and a former resident of South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale area), the main difference is population, population, population...

South Florida is so crowded all year round that it makes traffic unbearable. From West Palm Beach to Miami its just one big sprawl. Just my opinion...

Old 07-24-2011, 01:42 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,052,855 times
Yep, agree....not a big fan of southeast Florida myself, not even in the off season. Traffic, crime, violence, attitudes, gangs, rushed lifestyle....nooo thanks!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 AM

58 posts, read 99,416 times
Florida has big **** roaches that get in your house at some point no matter what!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:09 AM

4,127 posts, read 13,264,385 times
oh please, let's not generalize, that's why ppl have exterminators, to deal w/ occ. bugs, it's a small price to pay for living in a beautiful state - imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimorecolt View Post
Florida has big **** roaches that get in your house at some point no matter what!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:46 PM

58 posts, read 99,416 times
I know a few people that live down south NC to FLA and they all have some issues with the Flying Roaches to some degree or another.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM

49 posts, read 114,591 times
They are not roaches...they are palmetto bugs and not even in the roach family. They are gross but just bugs. If you have long hair they can get stuck..

Old 07-25-2011, 05:32 PM

6,828 posts, read 7,755,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbour120 View Post
They are not roaches...they are palmetto bugs and not even in the roach family. They are gross but just bugs. If you have long hair they can get stuck..
Palmetto bugs are roaches: Florida woods cockroach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Don't even want to think about them getting stuck in someone's hair.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:10 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,107,765 times
Florida is full, may I suggest somewhere like Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware