U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 PM

94 posts, read 150,686 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I just moved to DE, and I have so many questions. We looked around to different areas, got a lot of info, from the web, and would like some opinions from the people that have lived here for a while:-)
We found a house in Middletown (Appo farms), nice house....but has a pool. Question: how many months can a pool be used in DE ?How expensive is it to maintain? Is Appoquin farms a nice area to live with kids? I like new houses but do not like new developments, too much construction and lack of trees, therefore Appo farms appealed to us esthetically. any other development comes to mind that fits the criteria?

On the other hand, I fell in love with the area Pike Creek, Hockessin, close to PA border just because of established, green, neighborhoods. I could rent in that area, but would not buy because can not find the space(living area) i like for the price point (low $400's). Everything I found in that price point is either small or older (20 or more). Am I missing something? Does this area get more snow than Middletown? How are the schools....personal experience....not web data....please:-)

Thank you so much for reading my long post:-)

Leanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 PM

239 posts, read 437,921 times
As far as the pool goes, most people open around Memorial Day and close Mid-September? I'm sure others will start chiming in to help here soon!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 AM

Thank you Jcraig10!...and...hopefully more people will chime in.Maybe somebody knows more about Appoquin farms?!....and is willing to share:-)

Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 AM

377 posts, read 992,343 times
I don't know anything about Appo Farms, but I do know that Appo School District is great. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:40 PM

19 posts, read 42,329 times
As far as the pool, we open late April and close late September. We open and close early due to a mesh looploc cover that lets light in, and therefore algae grow. We swim, late May thru Sept, although that could vary depending on the weather each year. To maintain the pool, we pay someone to open and close. It runs around $300 for each depending on whether they put on/take off the cover. Of course, if you do this yourself, you will save. For a 30,000 gallon in ground pool, figure maybe another $300-400 in chemicals. Looks like maybe under a $1000 for the season? Some years are better than others on the amount of chemicals you need. We had a tough year this year getting it right.

You shouldn't see much difference in snow in Middletown vs Pike Creek, etc.

Delaware is not known for good public school districts. Middletown probably has one of the better ones. Upon north, Pike Creek, hmmm,, Red Clay School District is one of the better districts too. Some schools are better than others so you would need to check feeder patterns.

Welcome to Delaware.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 PM

Thank you so much for all the answers. It is so confusing and hard to make decisions when you do not know all the facts. Hopefully we will enjoy living here once we get settled....my kids already love the beach so much....I drove 3 times down to Rehoboth Beach....I wish we could live there.Problem solved....we live at the beach and my husband commutes 80 miles one way

Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,689 times
Middletown has grown SOO much, even in the last 5 years. You will find mostly newer developments there, its just an unfortunate thing. A lot of them are cookie-cutter, and you will find that ALL through DE nowadays.

Middletown is for sure a more expensive area to live in, but that is because you are in New Castle County. Kent and Sussex County (with the exception of the beach area), are much more financial friendly, but like another poster already commented, you run into poor public schools. Appo. school district is ranked among the highest in the state.

I am not familiar with your subdivision. My dad built in Cricklewood Green when they were first building, and it is now a more established neighborhood. Middletown is a great area, I have always really enjoyed going there, and almost purchased there. I am from Camden-Wyoming area, in Kent County and graduated from the Caesar Rodney school district, which is one of the better districts in Kent.

My grandparents open their pool around Memorial Day, and start to close it down around mid-September. I am not sure about costs regarding a pool.

I hope this helps! Enjoy Middletown, and DE in general. I did not realize until my husband was transferred from DAFB to NJ, how nice access was in DE to the beaches, Washington D.C. and Virginia. Take lots of great day trips and visit some of the historical areas in DE. There are so many!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM

297 posts, read 636,110 times
I live near Appoquin Farms, and a good friend of mine lives there. She's been there for several years, and really seems to like it. Seems like a good neighborhood, low crime, lots of families there so tons of kids. The school district is in the process of building an early education center and an elementary school, both due to open Fall of 2012, just south down 299 (about a mile or so from Appoquin Farms). I personally enjoy living in this area b/c we're so close to Rt 13/Rt 1.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 PM

Thank you!...who knows...we might become neighbors....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware