U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,791,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
You must live "in the country." Each of the incorporated areas I know of has a police force, although in some of the tiny municipalities (e.g., Blades, Greenwood) it might just be one car:
list of police departments in sussex county delaware - Google Maps
During the summer there are more people here on Long Neck than live in some of the small Delco towns outside of Phila. My statement also applies to the Rt 1 corridor in the area of Lewes/Rehoboth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM

7,360 posts, read 10,797,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
IMO Sussex County needs to grow up and start taking on some of the responsibilities that might be expected of a county government, and one of those things would be to establish a county police force.
And in that case, taxes would go up and people would start squalking.

Besides, in addition to the list of Sussex County municipal police departments mentioned, there are 3 rather large state police barracks in Sussex County, which are Troop 7 Lewes, Troop 4 Georgetown, and Troop 5 Bridgeville.

Having volunteer fire departments saves the state a good bit of money. Some newcomers have complained about their service, and say they should be paid by the state, which would be another place for tax money. Our fire departments do an excellent job, by the way, and they are much appreciated in Delaware.

This is how Delaware does it. We keep costs down, and still provide excellent services, better than in many states.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 20 days ago)

1,773 posts, read 3,069,668 times
My area is also patrolled by state police, although Ocean View PD has been responding more often. Response time has improved over the years, especially with OV police department's assistance. It used to be an issue back when we first moved in here and were having trouble with our home/cars being vandalized (we wound up having to chase the culprits ourselves), but it's gotten better over the years...a lot better, actually.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:06 PM

546 posts, read 1,122,615 times
Well, it's interesting, coming from the smallest state I decided to do a quick facts comparison to see what the differences are, and why your taxes might be lower. I was surprised to learn that Delaware is still almost double in land mass of RI, yet we have almost 200,000 more people. Considerably more Afro-Americans in DE, a bit more Hispanics in RI. In the past 10 years your population has grown by nearly 15%, ours by 0.4%! Your median-home value is lower, and your income is slightly higher; increased population pressure on value of land will drive this up I suppose.

And now for the economic differences: manufacturing shipments in DE totaled 25 million in 2007, in RI only 12 mill. even though we have larger number of persons employed, so more small business. So, the way I see it, lower taxes doesn't have as much to do with big gov't small gov't as it does to have GDP and jobs....it must be a myth that manufacturer's need tax breaks to locate their businesses somewhere, or whatever..... I'm just a RI beach bum, maybe we should ask the seagulls, they are getting very smart here, swiping sandwiches of people's hands at my local beach.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:31 PM

6,855 posts, read 7,802,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
During the summer there are more people here on Long Neck than live in some of the small Delco towns outside of Phila. My statement also applies to the Rt 1 corridor in the area of Lewes/Rehoboth.
Yes, I assume you know our own area. I am just pointing out that incorporated areas do provide their own police coverage and do not rely solely on the state, as some people might conclude from your earlier posting.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:51 PM

831 posts, read 653,960 times
Quote:
It used to be an issue back when we first moved in here and were having trouble with our home/cars being vandalized (we wound up having to chase the culprits ourselves), but it's gotten better over the years...a lot better, actually.
Ocean view looks quite close to the ocean, I'm a bit surprised about vandalism. I grew up in NYC, and we never had a vandalism problem. Just curious, is there a vandalism/crime problem in De. particularly the coastal areas? ( I was under the impression that oceanview was a really nice place)

BTW, thank you all for your in depth answers, alot of what was said makes sense as to why things can be so much less than elsewhere.. ahhhh if only NY could do that.

Another question, are there people who "homestead" there? We dream about possibly owning more than 1 acre, and less than 5. Really working the land, having chickens, and growing vegtables. (we currently have an awesome garden here, and it gets larger with each passing year, so we may be on to something) I guess trying to find that happy medium of owning some land(not too much) and being near the coast (kayaking/boating).
Thank you again for the enlightening answers.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 20 days ago)

1,773 posts, read 3,069,668 times
Yes, we are two miles from the ocean and it's a very nice area. I love it here and really never want to leave. There is rarely ever any violent crime but yes, we certainly have property crime (mostly theft). Vandalism is actually rare anymore, but when we moved here nine years ago it was a different story. Some lowlife renters in a trailer park down the road and some of their buddies in other nearby communities would destroy other people's property just out of pure jealousy, I suppose. They'd get drunk/high and go into neighboring communities (such as mine) and destroy what they could. My car was vandalized, my mailbox destroyed, and my front window was almost smashed out by a thrown pumpkin. Other neighbors had similar vandalism issues and one even had a very expensive bay window bashed out by a rock. A lot of the trash was run out of here when the mortgage crisis hit a few years ago and people who never should have had mortgages in this area went into foreclosure. Bad news for them, but yay for us....vandalism/crime dropped and it dropped even more when they brought central sewer through here. It costs anywhere from $4500-10,000 to hook up to it and that ran a lot of the remaining idiots out. It was a godsend, believe me. It's very peaceful now and it's been a good five years since we personally had any vandalism. I always tell everyone to keep your stuff locked (even cars in your driveway) and you'll have no worries. I never had anything stolen because everything is locked up tight around here. Other neighbors have left their cars and sheds unlocked and had quite a bit stolen.

Rehoboth and Lewes have more crime issues (and yes, violent crime) than Ocean View. They also have a larger population and section eight housing, which we do not have here in Ocean View. It's still a great area to live in, but there isn't anyplace immune from crime anymore...at least not that I know of in Delaware. I knew a guy who lived in a very, very rural area outside of Millsboro and he witnessed people dealing drugs out of a chicken house.

I enjoy gardening as well, and I have one in my backyard. We have almost 1/4 acre and that's considered a decent size in this area. Large lots are more popular inland. If you head five or six miles inland, then you can find one to five acre parcels for $100,000 or maybe a little more, but they typically have septic systems.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:03 PM

831 posts, read 653,960 times
Wow, very informative, thanks beachliz!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 PM

96 posts, read 169,037 times
Default How Does DE Do It?

grouse789, I'll see your NY property tax and raise you a NJ property tax! Seriously, I am also planning a move to DE and have been working toward it for about a year and a half now. Everyone here has given you some excellent reasons for how DE does it. I'll add one more because every time I travel to MD or VA, I do a little mental exercize where I remind myself that I'm waiting in that L-O-N-G line of traffic so I can finally get to that next toll booth and that, in so doing, I am helping to keep DE residents' tax burden low. (It's much more bearable now that I can also remind myself that all those future toll-payers will help keep MY taxes low one day soon. ) Ahhh... if only that were the case in NJ, home to the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:32 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,911,006 times
As an interesting side note, they announced on the news last night that DE has the lowest amount of federal spending of all the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or