U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 04:37 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,320,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Jude, na na na na View Post
grouse789, I'll see your NY property tax and raise you a NJ property tax! Seriously, I am also planning a move to DE and have been working toward it for about a year and a half now. Everyone here has given you some excellent reasons for how DE does it. I'll add one more because every time I travel to MD or VA, I do a little mental exercize where I remind myself that I'm waiting in that L-O-N-G line of traffic so I can finally get to that next toll booth and that, in so doing, I am helping to keep DE residents' tax burden low. (It's much more bearable now that I can also remind myself that all those future toll-payers will help keep MY taxes low one day soon. ) Ahhh... if only that were the case in NJ, home to the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway. Nope. Not gonna happen.
If you are waiting in a long toll booth line, you must not be using Easy Pass. So painless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:56 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,796,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
If you are waiting in a long toll booth line, you must not be using Easy Pass. So painless!
I honestly could not live without E-Z Pass. And, I know for fact, you get discounted rates for having it when traveling on
SR 1.......Win-Win. I loved it when they put the rates up on SR 1 on weekends! I don't travel it then.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM

83 posts, read 170,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Jude, na na na na View Post
grouse789, I'll see your NY property tax and raise you a NJ property tax! Seriously, I am also planning a move to DE and have been working toward it for about a year and a half now. Everyone here has given you some excellent reasons for how DE does it. I'll add one more because every time I travel to MD or VA, I do a little mental exercize where I remind myself that I'm waiting in that L-O-N-G line of traffic so I can finally get to that next toll booth and that, in so doing, I am helping to keep DE residents' tax burden low. (It's much more bearable now that I can also remind myself that all those future toll-payers will help keep MY taxes low one day soon. ) Ahhh... if only that were the case in NJ, home to the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway. Nope. Not gonna happen.
Go around the toll, Newark is lovely, only about 2 miles to go around and saves you $5 both ways!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:15 PM

326 posts, read 586,544 times
The trick is, what's in Delaware to make it worth living in?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:35 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,001,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
The trick is, what's in Delaware to make it worth living in?
I would imagine you as a mime at the state line trying to escape. Fortunately, for the rest of us, driving across our state line doesn't cost us a penny. We can do it at 75 miles per hour and be in 3 other states in less than 15 minutes from where I grew up in Delaware.

"What's in this state" is inconsequential to Delaware because it is so tiny. "What amenities to Delaweans have, and what is their quality of live?" is a more appropriate question.

Well, my friends in Delaware can find themselves spending the day or weekend in Washington, D.C., Delaware Beaches, Baltimore, Jersey Shore, Atlantic City, Philadelphia, the Poconos, and the most world class city in the world, New York City.

They live closer to NYC than most of New York State. Closer to DC than most of Virginia. 20 minutes from Philadelphia. They have the choice of 3 states' beaches.

And... guess what? They pay less for proximity to these amenities than anybody else, and have better proximity to more amenities than anywhere else in the country.

Inside my county in Delaware, we have 4 colleges, huge banking and chemical industry, 550,000 people, malls, expensive mansions, old ethnic neighborhoods, 300 year old villages, a vibrant college town, one of the larger ports in the country, 3 interstates, and a major Amtrak stop on the Northeast Corridor. This is all within a 15 mile radius.

Picking on Delaware is silly - the state is never more than one county thick, and every single county in the state borders at least 2 counties of other states whereas New Castle County borders 3 states.

Last edited by Joe84323; 08-01-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,790,286 times
[quote=Joe84323;20273020]I every single county in the state borders at least 2 counties of other states whereas New Castle County borders 3 states.[/quote
Are you counting crossing the Delaware Bay??

Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,908,287 times
I like to think that it's in the middle of everything yet at the same time completely apart from it all.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 19 days ago)

1,773 posts, read 3,069,090 times
Great description, Caladium

Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM

831 posts, read 653,672 times
That was a great answer.. Its not really whats here, its the amenities. Close proximity to DC, Balt. and NY. (true enough statement being closer to NYC that most of NY state!) And indeed what is within the state too! For me would be the beaches, the wetlands, the farm life( i know, i know, not near the beaches). The lower cost of living. (compared to NJ/NY)
And to the south, the rest of the delmarva peninsula, loads of antique shops, funky little towns, great kayaking, the chesepeake.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,001,604 times
[quote=longnecker;20274979]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I every single county in the state borders at least 2 counties of other states whereas New Castle County borders 3 states.[/quote
Are you counting crossing the Delaware Bay??
New Castle Co borders: Cecil Co MD, Chester Co. PA, Delaware County PA, Salem Co. NJ

Kent Co borders: Kent Co. Md, Queen Anne's Co. Md, Caroline County, Md, Salem County, NJ, Cumberland County, NJ, Cape May County, NJ.

Sussex County borders: Caroline County Md, Dorchester County Md, Worcester Co, Md, and Worcester Co, MD.

Not for nothing, but Delaware borders New Jersey all the way down the bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or