U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:53 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,292,961 times

Advertisements

I'm usually happy to leave Delaware but even happier to return. Visits to so many points in close proximity are usually enjoyable but it's almost always a relief to get back home here. Close proximity not only includes the east coast, but thanks to Philly International, also a very quick and painless flight across the pond. Delaware has plenty for day to day life, and has the advantage of being able to get to places that offer great contrast and variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 PM

96 posts, read 168,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I like to think that it's in the middle of everything yet at the same time completely apart from it all.
Ah, Caladium, this is THE perfect answer. And it's just what I'm looking for when I move down there. I will definitely miss being able to be in NYC in just over an hour and I'll miss this bucolic, Norman Rockwell scene I live in now. Nevertheless, I'll love being closer to family and, still, not all that far from the city or from DC, Annapolis, etc. plus also able to be in that "apart from it all" mode. And I'll definitely appreciate those lower taxes!

As for EZ Pass, I probably will go for it before long. Given where I live in NJ, I never travel either the NJT or the GSP, so tolls are not an issue for me unless I travel to/thru DE and MD or go into the city which, of course, practically demands a black card, for cryin' out loud! (Thanks, rdlr, for the discount info on Rt. 1 EZ Pass travels!)

Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 PM

137 posts, read 281,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Jude, na na na na View Post
grouse789, I'll see your NY property tax and raise you a NJ property tax! Seriously, I am also planning a move to DE and have been working toward it for about a year and a half now. Everyone here has given you some excellent reasons for how DE does it. I'll add one more because every time I travel to MD or VA, I do a little mental exercize where I remind myself that I'm waiting in that L-O-N-G line of traffic so I can finally get to that next toll booth and that, in so doing, I am helping to keep DE residents' tax burden low. (It's much more bearable now that I can also remind myself that all those future toll-payers will help keep MY taxes low one day soon. ) Ahhh... if only that were the case in NJ, home to the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway. Nope. Not gonna happen.
Hey J, since you are going to be moving down here anyway, you could get the EZ pass and at least not have to stop at DE toll booths. Even though we lived in Michigan, we bought one before our move because we were driving back and forth a lot, and it worked on the Ohio Turnpike.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:32 AM

7,321 posts, read 10,752,675 times
My native point of view is in the minority now, in regard to one of Delaware's major amenities:
- Delaware is close to other states -

That's at the bottom of my list of Delaware amenities.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM

6,830 posts, read 7,757,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
My native point of view is in the minority now, in regard to one of Delaware's major amenities:
- Delaware is close to other states -

That's at the bottom of my list of Delaware amenities.
I'm a little puzzled too. I like that Delaware is close to other states (including my own ), but I think there are better answers to this question for me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
The trick is, what's in Delaware to make it worth living in?
How about the attractions for starters: Brandywine Valley, Rehoboth/Bethany/Fenwick Island, Winterthur, UD, Old New Castle, Ft Delaware, sunrise over the Delaware Bay, NASCAR, downtown Lewes, covered bridges, crab cakes, Pumpkin Chunkin', Cape Henlopen State Park, Hagley Museum, etc.? Why not add in the low cost of living? How about the fact that politicians of both parties generally get along and tend to work more the sake of the citizens v. their own parties? And let's close with the fact that many folks consider Delawareans to be very friendly people? Imagine, all that is possible to enjoy without crossing a state line.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,818,104 times
I'm from Connecticut and returned from Delaware yesterday - I'm happy to say I will be relocating hopefully by 10/01 if all goes well - They have absolutely no sales tax on anything even restaurants - Their idea of a toll is $1.00, which I had to laugh at because I'm so used to $8.00 to $10.00 tolls - The housing is reasonable and the people are friendly - There is a terrific ocean breeze which helps with the 95 degree heat - I believe how they do it is that many corporations are incorporated in Delaware for various tax reasons - I have only 2 things I wasn't kneen on down there - Couldn't seem to find a Jewish deli although a grocery store in Wilmington has a kosher market in it - The most common gas station is Valero - I tried it in my car and didnt care for it, my car is used to Shell which were around but not as common - I'm going to be 4 miles from the beach and loving every minute of it -

Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 AM

7,783 posts, read 10,456,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I'm from Connecticut and returned from Delaware yesterday - I'm happy to say I will be relocating hopefully by 10/01 if all goes well - They have absolutely no sales tax on anything even restaurants - Their idea of a toll is $1.00, which I had to laugh at because I'm so used to $8.00 to $10.00 tolls - The housing is reasonable and the people are friendly - There is a terrific ocean breeze which helps with the 95 degree heat - I believe how they do it is that many corporations are incorporated in Delaware for various tax reasons - I have only 2 things I wasn't kneen on down there - Couldn't seem to find a Jewish deli although a grocery store in Wilmington has a kosher market in it - The most common gas station is Valero - I tried it in my car and didnt care for it, my car is used to Shell which were around but not as common - I'm going to be 4 miles from the beach and loving every minute of it -
Hailing from NY, I moved to NC for a few years and had zero Italian stores. I quickly solved the problem two ways, if you visited us, you had to agree to get a check from me in advance and a list. My other solution was to have them ship my order in dry ice. They were happy to do so and i was only too Happy to pay for it.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Valero must be common downstate. In northern New Castle County I'd say that Shell, Exxon and BP dominate. Can't even think where there is a Valero around here. If you shop at Giant/Super G, you accrue points that get you money off at Shell, in increments of 10, 20, 30 cents or more per gallon.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,973,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Valero must be common downstate. In northern New Castle County I'd say that Shell, Exxon and BP dominate. Can't even think where there is a Valero around here. If you shop at Giant/Super G, you accrue points that get you money off at Shell, in increments of 10, 20, 30 cents or more per gallon.
There is a Valero on Dupont in New Castle as soon as you get off 95 on the southbound side, and there are several in Newark, Wilmington and Middletown. You've even got one in Greenwood, I believe.

We take advantage of that kind of program here in New York at Stop and Shop which I believe is the same company as Giant.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:27 AM

Charley did you mean Greenwood or Greenville? No Valero in Greenville, though there certainly could be one down in the town of Greenwood. Greenville only has a Shell. there used to be a BP as well but I t was razed and a Bank of America put in. If there are Valeros around North Wilmington I never notice them but my only point was they aren't the main player in this part of the state and certainly not in this part of New Castle County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or