U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM

831 posts, read 653,327 times

Advertisements

Ok, I live in NY, about an hour north of NYC, I have a small house, (1200 sq. ft., on an 80'x100' lot) we pay $4500 per year in taxes...
Whats the deal with Delaware? I keep seeing over and over again, low prices for homes, and low low taxes. Wheres the trick? Is there one? Why are taxes so much lower there? Are there really no tricks up Delawares sleeve?
My wife and I are thinking of moving in a few years, I can then collect my pension, she may teach or just tutor children. We enjoy fishing, Kayaking, the beach, waterfowling, and waterfowl photography.
Thank you in advance for any advice regarding life there, and how De. manages to keep the taxes so low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 PM

45 posts, read 88,288 times
Like you, I live in NY state and pay outrageous property taxes. I don't think it is so much that DE has a trick up the sleeve - I think NY is just over-the-top ridiculous.

I just visited DE (looking to relocate). You mentioned your enjoyment of waterfowl. I have to tell you the sea gulls in DE are the most beautiful gulls I have ever seen. And I normally dislike sea gulls. I'm guessing gulls are not technically the type of waterfowl you're looking for, but I'm telling you these birds were so pretty. I got some gorgeous photos of the ones at Cape Henlopen State Park Beach.

Back to the taxes - did you know NO SALES TAX in DE?! I shopped 'til I dropped.

I loved DE and will return for a second visit this Fall.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 AM

83 posts, read 170,775 times
While I don't currently live in DE (but am moving to the Dover area in a few months), I did attend college in Salisbury, MD (about an hour south of Dover for reference). There is a Ward Museum in Salisbury, and it is actually very famous. I bet that would be something you are interested in if you do consider moving down this way from NY (I grew up in NJ, and looking at the difference in property taxes for that state, I don't know how my parents did it....although, I currently live in MD, also high taxes).
I would suggest, due to the aforementioned high taxes in MD, to live in southern Delaware (Kent or Sussex counties) if you enjoy the water, water sports and the waterfowl. You have great state parks, water, beaches and can always take a day trip to Assateague or Chincoteague Islands, as well as go to the Ward Museum in Salisbury.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 AM

574 posts, read 1,098,389 times
I recently moved from NJ to DE. This is what I've seen: Part of how DE does it is the large number of corporations headquartered here, and paying much into the state treasury for the privileged of doing so. Another part is by doing less. Unless you are within the city limits, you have limited public services. You pay for trash pick up, which was a municipal service to me in NJ. My street/neighborhood does not get plowed or sanded or salted when it snows. There is not a different police department for every neighborhood, instead, outside of city limits, you are relying on state and county law enforcement. School districts are MUCH larger. The overall government is smaller, and corruption is no where near the issue it is in NJ.

So... more financial support from industry/big business, less expense in services being provided, less 'par for the course' political corruption..... all leads to things like lower property taxes, lack of sales tax.

Frankly, I'll take having to pay a trash bill, and having to shovel my way out of the house any day!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:34 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,319,183 times
The real estate transfer tax/fee has also been a substantial source of revenue when the real estate market is doing well. The seller and buyer each pay a 1.5% transfer tax on a real estate transaction. I find that a pretty painless source of revenue since it is an infrequent thing for most of us and can potentially be rolled into your financing. When the housing market is booming here, it generates substantial revenue for the state, though this is a revenue source that has suffered in the recent economic troubles.

As another poster pointed out, the collection of incorporation fees for companies that are nominally or actually based here is a major source of revenue. DE has more Fortune 500 companies incorporated under its law than any other jurisdiction. That in itself is a very interesting story, as DE was the last state during the 19th Century to abandon the old practice of incorporation by the granting of a charter by the state legislature. DE's incorporation law lagged behind the rest of the Union until the turn of the 20th Century, but once DE modernised its law, it quickly surpassed the rest of the US as a home for companies to incorporate. State government keeps a constant eye on the situation, regularly tweaking corporate law to keep DE maximally competitive in this field and thus continuing to generate this flow of revenue.

Finally, I think it certainly is true that government here is quite lean, yet largely progressive within the bounds of what it can afford to do. It also seems that the DE public sector and the unions have a reasonably cooperative working relationship that doesn't ignore fiscal realities. Like so many other aspects of life here, I think this has got to be attributable in significant measure to the state's small population. The downside of DE's small size is that relations between government and business are sometimes too cozy, featuring noncompetitive sweatheart deals and the like. There seems to be a significant good ol' boy and gal network both within government and between government and business. The former governor, Ruth Ann Minner, seems to have been a consummate practicioner of that style of governance.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:17 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,553,387 times
On Long Island the bulk of our taxes go to the schools. OF my $9200 just over $ 6000 is for school taxes. The number of school districts on Long Island as of 2009 was 127. We have approximately 476,000 students with a teacher population of roughly 35,800. Our contractual obligations to educations institution employees such as health care, pay raises, step increases and pension costs are the number one reason living here is so expensive.
In addition to the public schools, here there are 230 private schools, servicing 53,000 students with 5,000 teachers.
I am certain that Delaware does not have the same school contractual obligations that NY does.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 18 days ago)

1,771 posts, read 3,068,369 times
I totally agree with CarrieM and doctorjef's descriptions of Delaware and its practices. And seasoul....I think we have beautiful seagulls as well .

I live in a very populated area (Ocean View) in a development, but I'm (surprisingly) not within town limits and I do pay for my trash service and have to depend on the state to plow my development when it snows. That's not a big deal for me since I have a 4wd, but many of my neighbors cannot leave their driveways for a couple days after a big snowfall. I've towed a few people out who tried it in cars; they learned after getting stuck the first time to not try leaving again until the roads are plowed. If you depend on the state to plow your development (or rural back road, if you move to one) and you must work, you may want to consider a 4wd. I won't get rid of mine because my husband and I both work and need a 4wd to get out of our development when it snows and I use it for hauling my kayaks.

Since you mentioned beach activities and kayaking, then I'd recommend the Delaware beaches. There have been quite a few people who moved to my area in particular because we have so many places to kayak--ocean, open bay, inland bays, canals, ponds...take your pick. I'm an avid kayaker and I still have not kayaked all the different locations surrounding me. Bethany/Ocean View area is a kayaker's paradise!!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,789,275 times
I certainly agree with prior posters that services can be lean. Living in Sussex County we have only State Police. The few officers have a lot of territory to cover and might be on another call when you need them. When I lived in suburban Phila each little town had at least one car on and they responded to aid each other.
I live near an ambulance and paramedic station and we get great response. Snow plowing on the main roads is good.Off the main roads may take a while.
I meet many people coming from New Jersey looking to move here and they just can,t believe how low our taxes are. Almost free by comparison!!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I certainly agree with prior posters that services can be lean. Living in Sussex County we have only State Police. The few officers have a lot of territory to cover and might be on another call when you need them. When I lived in suburban Phila each little town had at least one car on and they responded to aid each other.
You must live "in the country." Each of the incorporated areas I know of has a police force, although in some of the tiny municipalities (e.g., Blades, Greenwood) it might just be one car:
list of police departments in sussex county delaware - Google Maps

Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,319,183 times
In northern New Castle County, the state keeps the main streets and roads clear during winter, and in fact do a very good job of it. However, they don't plow within neighborhoods. In our neighborhood pretty much each block maintains a kitty to pay for snow plowing privately. In my case that typically runs no more than 40.00 a year, although for a couple of years there was enough in the fund that we didn't have to collect at all. This system works well enough, as far as I'm concerned.

New Castle Co. is the only county that operates its own police force, unless I'm mistaken. Sussex, as pointed out, definitely does not. Sussex is also the only county that runs a budget surplus. IMO Sussex County needs to grow up and start taking on some of the responsibilities that might be expected of a county government, and one of those things would be to establish a county police force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or