U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-30-2011, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 32,687 times
Post Will a felony conviction keep me from teaching?

I lost my poisition of 4 and a half years in January 2010 and have had trouble finding a job. I am sure that it is to do with my conviction. I am embarassed that I even did this in the first place. I have paid my restitution and have been released in 2005 from probation. Now I have a friend that is trying to get me a job in the teaching field and I want to know if my conviction will keep me from being employed for the school district. My convictions had nothing to do with children or drugs and alcohol. It was dealing with a stolen credit card. I am trying to get a pardon from the govenor. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:22 AM

9,697 posts, read 10,229,365 times
I have a friend who was convicted of a felony and lost her job in public school after teaching there for over 20 years. However, she was able to get a teaching position in private school, but the school was not the typical private school. It was a two-year high school and most of the students who attended just could not function in a typical hs setting. I honestly cannot see a Delaware private school hiring a felon. The ones that might have considered hiring are probably under review. However, your probation officer might be able to help.

What position were you in when you lost your previous job and why were you terminated? You did not state that you definitely lost your position due to the felony.

My advice would be to apply for the positions that you are qualified to teach (if you are not a certified teacher, you will have to take classes and colleges will tell you if you can be employed to teach), have exceptional references, and be honest. You can also contact DDOE and see what positions are available, but every application will ask if you have been convicted of a felony. You will have an opportunity to explain the situation. It will not be easy and most people do not want convicted felons to teach their children, which is something that you already understand.

At one time, I ran a program for women who were recently released from prison and my job was to teach and then get them jobs. I always told them that if they had made the front page of the newspaper that it would be more difficult to find employment. This was before everyone was Googled.

I wish you good luck as this could be a difficult process, and I sincerely hope that you have turned your life around.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:09 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,185,609 times
I agree with the above post. I can guarantee that DE public schools will not hire somebody with any sort of felony record, and most public schools most likely will not hire either (sorry for this news).

Yes, the pardon may work and then you can have your record expunged. It's not easy though (as I'm sure you already know). I knew a teacher who had an arrest record for a misdemeanor assault (against another adult) which was discovered while she was student teaching. It was only an arrest record and not a conviction; the assault was in self defense and dismissed in court (nolle prosequi). However, a hearing before some district bigwigs was mandatory in order for her to continue with her student teaching, and she had to explain why she had this arrest record even though she was never even convicted....if this gives you any idea of how thorough and particular DE districts can be. She wound up having to file for an expungement of an arrest record in order to even apply for any teaching jobs. The expungement was successful and she did land a job after student teaching.

I wish you the best with the pardon and your job search--sorry if my post was rather depressing , but I didn't want to give you any false hopes.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:56 PM

Post Thank you for the advice.

I was arrested for forgery and theft greater than 1000 and no i was not terminated due to the charges. The company went bankrupted and it was a photographers position. I am trying to get in as a teachers aid right at the moment and I have been off probation in 2005. I have paid my restitution and have a letter from the state that will put insurance on me (not that I will need it). As far as the pardon it is hard but they will never expunge my felony in the state of DE because I was guilty of the charge. However, they are telling me that it can take upto a year to get the pardon if they ok me to have one.

But it is not just the school that won't hire me. It seems like everyone is asking for a background check. I know that some of them only look back so many years as to others that look back to everything.

I thank you for the advice and I hope that they will understand that I have changed my ways and are trying to make a career for myself.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:19 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,185,609 times
You're welcome. I have known of other people who have felony records and they have the same problem--everyone wants a background check. One person I know has a bachelor's degree in finance and actually spent a few years behind bars for a very serious felony charge, but she eventually landed a job at a bank. It's not the job she hoped for, but she took what she could and got her foot in the door. There are places that will hire people with criminal records, but sometimes you have to start with entry positions. On a good note, at least yours was not a violent offense.

I wish you the best, and I do believe that explaining to potential employers that you learned from your mistake will benefit you greatly. And--it was a few years ago? No offenses since your probationary period says A LOT. You should definitely emphasize that....hope this helps....

Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,229,365 times
The position that you would apply for is a ParaProfessional and their responsibility is to help special needs students of varying abilities, both academic and basic needs. Check district websites for job openings. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Post Thanx again

That was so funny that you said that I should go for a paraprofessional because I was looking into that. Thanx again for all the help.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 AM

868 posts, read 715,873 times
Most public school systems seem to rules regarding a felony conviction which would work against you - You may fair better in a private school as your felony does not relate to children, drugs or alcohol - Any jobs that deal with the handling of cash or credit cards you most likely will have problems with - Wish you the best - I know what it is like my previous employer went bankrupt and I have been out of work for 2 years but the upside to my situation is I am moving to Delaware - I am hoping some nice HR person in Delaware will hire an older person as they sure don't in Connecticut - In short people get discriminated for various reasons not just a felony conviction -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware