U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:18 PM

144 posts, read 325,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
I know people who reside in Hertiage Shores. Very nice but you pay the price.
Golf course cost an extra $2,000 a year to use.
The pool is included in the HOA fee but not the golf course.

It all boils down to what you can afford and what you want.

We were not in a postion to afford anything close to this but wanted something nice with a pool and gym........thats it.
They do cut our lawn and shovel our snow but we have to do our own driveway. Don't get much snow to begin with.

Some people may be impressed with this and maybe used to this lifestyle.

If you can afford it and want it......then go for it. My motto for the day.

Happy Tues everyone!!
Two years ago when we visited Heritage Shores, I met a nice woman that bought there from NYC, she lives in Harlem. She drove there every weekend, and she was so grateful to come to the country and have that beautiful clubhouse. Regarding the lawn care, she told me that she paid a man $8.00 a week to mow her lawn. I don't think that is alot $32.00 monthly, but I feel it should be included in the HOA. Instead over there they have the golf course and 2 restaurants. Outsiders can come in and use, which I would think brings in more traffic, would rather have the outside unkeep included...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 PM

46 posts, read 97,235 times
There are two plans at Heritage Shores to pay for golf. One is for people who play a lot and one is for those who play occasionally. There is one restaurant in the clubhouse. The clubhouse is really wonderful and 28,000 sq ft, I have learned. Mowing is a five minute affair as the grass plots are tiny. It is a unique concept to require homeowners to mow and to shovel snow, I agree. But I prefer it to paying higher monthly HOA fees since grass and snow are minor issues there; in fact one or two snowstorms a year is not atypical for this area. I don't want to pay every month for something that must be done on such an infrequent basis. Makes no sense. If I have to pay for mowing and snow removal every month, I want it done 12 months a year!Heritage is not a mecca. There are some serious disadvantages to living there. Little retail shopping is available.You need to drive to Dover for the Walmarts and Macy's of the world. Movie theaters are far. I grew up on a farm in Iowa and this area reminds me of much of that area. Horse farms are scattered about among farmstands. I live 25 miles north of NY City now and moving there will require some major adjustments. We are working on how much of what have will be lost when we move. I think drive time from NY City to Bridgeville is between 3 1/2 and 4 hours (don't tell the NJ State Police).By the way, I haven't seen it mentioned on here but there are a couple of speed traps north of Harrington on 13. One homeowner on 13 actually has a sign posted in his front yard: "speedtrap ahead". I got a big kick out of that until I saw a local cop pull over the guy right in front of us. The locals told us that they have made this a real money-making business.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnorman View Post
There are two plans at Heritage Shores to pay for golf. One is for people who play a lot and one is for those who play occasionally. There is one restaurant in the clubhouse. The clubhouse is really wonderful and 28,000 sq ft, I have learned. Mowing is a five minute affair as the grass plots are tiny. It is a unique concept to require homeowners to mow and to shovel snow, I agree. But I prefer it to paying higher monthly HOA fees since grass and snow are minor issues there; in fact one or two snowstorms a year is not atypical for this area. I don't want to pay every month for something that must be done on such an infrequent basis. Makes no sense. If I have to pay for mowing and snow removal every month, I want it done 12 months a year!Heritage is not a mecca. There are some serious disadvantages to living there. Little retail shopping is available.You need to drive to Dover for the Walmarts and Macy's of the world. Movie theaters are far. I grew up on a farm in Iowa and this area reminds me of much of that area. Horse farms are scattered about among farmstands. I live 25 miles north of NY City now and moving there will require some major adjustments. We are working on how much of what have will be lost when we move. I think drive time from NY City to Bridgeville is between 3 1/2 and 4 hours (don't tell the NJ State Police).By the way, I haven't seen it mentioned on here but there are a couple of speed traps north of Harrington on 13. One homeowner on 13 actually has a sign posted in his front yard: "speedtrap ahead". I got a big kick out of that until I saw a local cop pull over the guy right in front of us. The locals told us that they have made this a real money-making business.

Mowing is not that big of deal if you wish to do it, but for us after doing all of the yardwork and mowing for years by choice, we would rather not.
We don't want to bring the mower, grass trimmer, etc. Of course everyone has different feelings on want they would like to have or do at a 55+ community, and we respect that. I don't remember what the HOA fees are at Bridgeville, but I suspect that they are higher than most 55+ communities in DE. I agree the shopping and theaters are not close by. Actually my brother-in-law got a ticket in that area many years ago. Some things don't change...lol. Which 55+ communities do you favor? and if so why?? We live on Long Island and you're right about the travel time to that area.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:58 PM

I forgot to mention that Heritage Shores has a restaurant called Passwaters and a tavern called 1730 Tavern. The last I heard it did!! I think tavern is for drinks and something quick to eat.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 PM

46 posts, read 97,235 times
I love this board, I have learned sooo much. Seriously. Yes, Heritage HOA monthly fees are $220.00, which is higher than other places. We have decided that we should visit plus 55 communities in and around Dover to make sure that we are not overlooking a place that we would like as much as Heritage Shores. For example, we are told that taxes are a bit lower in Kent County than further south. Likewise, are there other advantages to communities in the Dover area? We are particularly interested in places with sizable clubhouses. We are looking for information. This Friday we will drive to Dover and look in that area over the weekend. All suggestions are appreciated.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:32 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,546,161 times
Hi....

For some lawn cutting is not big deal but for it was. DH with his parkisons and I never mowed a lawn in my life.

We do know a couple who are friends of friends that live in Heritage Shores.
No doubt it is very nice but expensive. This couple moved there because he LOVES golf.
The last I heard......the still love it.
Only complaint is shopping too far. HS is in Bridgeville and it's quite a hick. I lived in Philly which was a very convient neighborhood and I"m afraid I"m spoiled.
Even here in Kent county I feel I"m too far from the stores. LOL. I would love to be able to walk to one but there is no way.

Thanks Drnorman for you HS info and welcome. I love this board too.........great informations in the form of all different views.
Wonderful to find what is a good fit.

Good luck on Friday!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:55 AM

388 posts, read 849,692 times
EM, you're a gal after my own heart - I haven't mowed a lawn since I was a teenager either. Many moons ago to say the least! Yes, this board is a wealth of knowledge and I continue to keep up to date with it even though it looks like our next trip down won't be till spring. We cancelled our appointment to visit HS last month so we could go back to Magnolia and see CC again and get the lay of the land. The more I read about HS, the less it seems like the place for us, although a visit would be educational even if we decide against it. Knowledge is power!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:02 AM

I don't think I ever mowed a lawn. LOL

Gatherin all the knowledge you can about each community helps but then a visit is a must.

Good luck!!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnorman View Post
I love this board, I have learned sooo much. Seriously. Yes, Heritage HOA monthly fees are $220.00, which is higher than other places. We have decided that we should visit plus 55 communities in and around Dover to make sure that we are not overlooking a place that we would like as much as Heritage Shores. For example, we are told that taxes are a bit lower in Kent County than further south. Likewise, are there other advantages to communities in the Dover area? We are particularly interested in places with sizable clubhouses. We are looking for information. This Friday we will drive to Dover and look in that area over the weekend. All suggestions are appreciated.
I like this board to and you're right that a lot of information is available if you keep an open mind. I think if you take your time a lower HOA fee can be found elsewhere with landscape and snow removal. Not only have I tried mowing but shoveling the snow as well. Less time at the gym..lol. One of the thread members mentioned The Village of Eastridge, built by Benchmark builders located in Clayton. I have never been there but looked up their website and read that they are going to build 189 detached ranch style homes, with low HOA fees, clubhouse, but I believe no pool plans. Have a great time looking over communities. Look forward to hear what you've learned in your travels!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:01 AM

As far as low HOA fees...........I believe Roesville is only $90 a month till the pool is built then may go up.

Charley could probably tell you more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or