Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 AM

297 posts, read 740,534 times

Advertisements

My husband called this morning. Our house is fine, and so is he! We didn't lose power.

He did go out... he said Middletown looks good, mostly just small branches in the road.

What a relief that it's over... Hoping everyone still in its path is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,773,950 times
Gooooooooooooddddddd Morning all!! Finallly we have power!!! Trees branches are down everywhere in north Wilmington what a mess. My power went out 5 minutes before the tornado warning in Arden, so of course we were lighting candles and missed the warning on my battery powered radio, that was scary. Next time the radio stays on full time, during a storm. The tornado picture from Sea Colony in Bethany I saw was crazy, that thing was huge.

I just checked the webcam in Rehoboth and there is a backhoe on the beach and two trucks on the boardwalk with workers.

Charley, I hope everything is going ok for you as well in New York. Same for everyone else. The electric will take some time for everyone to get restored because up here anyway, powerlines were detached from houses. We are still getting pretty big wind gusts right now so before my power goes out I'll sign out take care everyone.

btw,Yes that was me on WDEL 1150 at 3:30am, crying about Delaware's storm coverage and giving a report on the area. Alot of callers after me agreed with that assesment.

Last edited by James420; 08-28-2011 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: n

Old 08-28-2011, 09:06 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,891,910 times
We never lost power, cable, or internet here. It is very rare for us to lose power, and if we do, it's typically due to people who cannot drive.

We didn't have any issues--no flooding, tornados, wind or water damage. No trees down...yet. It's still really windy out there and I am not venturing outside until it calms down a bit. Glad to hear everyone on here was safe during the storm.

Interesting tidbit: we saw firetrucks go past our house (live in a development) last night around 7 p.m. with lights flashing, and apparently one of our neighbors decided to cook outside even though the winds were howling. Why, don't ask me!! Another neighbor called the fire dept. since the wind fanned the cookout and caught something nearby on fire. Sheesh...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:10 AM

9,691 posts, read 14,169,518 times
Our electric was out from 8 p.m. Sat. night until this morning. I slept like a baby and didn't hear a thing. No damage to our property, and gigantic, 100+ year old English walnut trees are still standing. Some streets were closed in Dover and Wyoming due to flooding, but only for a few hours. We dodged a bullet and there's nothing to clean up here, except a few leaves. Not a drop of water in our basement, but there never has been.

Fraziers on the Water is now Fraziers IN the Water (in City of Dover). That huge parking lot hole is part of Mirror Lake now, with cars and mail trucks (which park there sometimes) under water. Park Drive along Mirror Lake is closed and it's one big lake. Fraziers has got to be flooded inside as the water is way above their east and west entrances to the restaurant, which is the bottom floor of that tri-level building.

Nassau Village, a trailer park outside Lewes was hit by a tornado. 17 homes and 30 structures were damaged. No reports on injuries.

Hotels and motels made a ton of money in the Dover area, and I guess, throughout the state. Those parking lots were full this morning.

Hope y'all made it.

Irene Goodnight!
http://www.lyricszoo.com/leadbelly/goodnight-irene/

Old 08-28-2011, 09:20 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,867,163 times
middletown seems to have power ! wow, thanks god it did not get so bad as it predicted.

we have a leak in our delaware house. can someone recommend a reliable and somwhat affordable company which does drywall work ?

enjoy you rest of the weekend. for sure it was an unforgettable one !

Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,357,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Fraziers on the Water is now Fraziers IN the Water (in City of Dover). That huge parking lot hole is part of Mirror Lake now, with cars and mail trucks (which park there sometimes) under water. Park Drive along Mirror Lake is closed and it's one big lake. Fraziers has got to be flooded inside as the water is way above their east and west entrances to the restaurant, which is the bottom floor of that tri-level building.
Sorry for being callous, but this really made me laugh! Thanks, rdlr.

We had gone to Fraziers on our last trip down there, so we are fully aware of the place and its surroundings. Unfortunately we did not appreciate the "service" we got. Our waitress had a terrible attitude, and actually charged us $0.75 for an extra dab of catsup. All of the other wait-staff seemed wonderful, and we had gotten the one who had an attitude. Our luck, I guess.

All the same, it WAS a nice looking establishment, and the outside dining area had a very relaxing atmosphere. Sorry to see it "went down", so-to-speak.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:50 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,357,527 times
Glad to hear the relatively good news from everyone. :thankful: It looks like many of us really lucked out. Here in North Brunswick, NJ, we are OK, too. We didn't lose power, although it flickered a few times. Lots of leaves and small branches litter our neighborhood, but I have been through far worse in my lifetime.

Whew!!! Glad THAT's over! OK, an Earthquake and a Hurricane in one week. Can we rest now? Or is Mother Nature gonna conjure up some more excitement?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Here's the Cape Gazette link, with beach news regarding Irene.
News - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA

Old 08-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Fraziers IN the Water

Last edited by rdlr; 03-31-2018 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 12:59 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,012,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Fraziers IN the Water
Sad pictures. I hope they didn't have too much damage inside, but given their proximity to the water, I can only imagine what the inside looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware