U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 PM

9 posts, read 11,976 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have an opportunity to move to the area to work in Havre de Grace from Northern California and was wondering where is better to live? Any advice between the two areas for a young thirties couple with 2 young kids who likes a bit of action and opportunities but not the crime/problems associated with Baltimore?

I have been to the area once and noticed that Havre de Grace and surrounding towns are pretty small with alot of people on the low end of the socio-economic scale (sorry to offend!). Seemed like Bel Air is the definition of Suburbs with strip malls galore but I have yet to visit Newark.

Is Newark any better/lively/developed than Bel Air/nearby cities?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:06 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,991,344 times
Greater Newark is conjoined with Greater Wilmington, which is conjoined with the southern suburbs of Philadelphia, which in turn is conjoined with the city of Philadelphia.

You will definitely have more amenities close to Northern DE. The problem lies in the fact that there are formidable toll issues between Newark, DE and Maryland. Enough so that it is important to calculate these tolls into your commuting expenses. It could make the difference.

Hopefully someone else on the forum can contribute with current toll amounts between Newark and Baltimore - I'm out of the loop with this, but wish I could help you.

Best wishes.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 AM

239 posts, read 436,689 times
Bel Air is a bit too fast paced for me. Most of the strip malls/stores are newer and they have been expanding rapidly over the past few years.

Newark is nice because it has a downtown Main Street, but is also very spread out. Newark covers a large lay of land. If you think Bel Air had strip malls galore, wait until you get to DE..its like the strip mall capital of the world.

As previous poster mentioned, there are several tolls along 95 between Newark and Baltimore. There is a $4 toll at the MD/DE state line, but there are ways around it, which may or may not be easy depending on where you lived in Newark. Theres another toll if you leave Havre de Grace into Cecil County on Rt 40.

I happen to love Havre de Grace, but that may just be because I'd rather live in a small town that doesn't quite move so quickly all of the time.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 AM

16,134 posts, read 20,737,586 times
Newark is a College Town, the University of Delaware is there and it has a College Town feel. I had a nice, big, townhouse there years ago that was everything I needed. The commute is a little long though but from Newark you can avoid the toll.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 AM

6,818 posts, read 7,736,166 times
Bel Air will offer a shorter (and toll-free) commute. It will not offer the amenities of a college town, which may be a plus or minus for you. For big city amenities, a Newark is at the southern end of the Wilmington-Philly metro area, Bel Air is at the northern end of the Baltimore-DC metro.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 AM

377 posts, read 990,600 times
That is a hard decision. We went back and forth between Bel Air and De. for a long time. I really liked Bel Air, but at the end of the day we got a lot more for our money in De. I do like Bel Air a lot though. Many Brac people moved there.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:05 PM

9 posts, read 11,976 times
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, probably a visit would be the best thing but at least these are some things to consider. I think we are just looking for some semblance of a bigger area with more options of stores, social activities, recreation, and high level of education but without the crime of baltimore/south Philly or too much of a country feel. Hopefully one of the two will fit well.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 AM

53 posts, read 162,107 times
From what you're describing, I'd tend to choose Bel Air. The public schools are much stronger in Bel Air than in Newark. You will have some good but pricey private school options around Newark. Activity-wise you'll find plenty to do with kids in both places, though neither one is exactly what you're looking for. I wouldn't say Newark is any better/lively/developed than Bel Air. It has a slightly different feel, but that you will have to see for yourself. Another strong pro for Bel Air is the commute. Basically, in your situation I don't think you would gain anything from Newark except cheaper cost of living.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 AM

16,134 posts, read 20,737,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Bel Air will offer a shorter (and toll-free) commute. It will not offer the amenities of a college town, which may be a plus or minus for you. For big city amenities, a Newark is at the southern end of the Wilmington-Philly metro area, Bel Air is at the northern end of the Baltimore-DC metro.
If you get on from Newark you don't have to pay the toll, there are exits on either side of the booths

Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 PM

377 posts, read 990,600 times
I will say that we live in Newark and our schools are great. (Appo School District) The big downfall of the area is that there is not very much to do. We knew we could move to Bel Air or De., because schools were good in both areas. Bel Air is a tad further but only by about 10-15 min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware