U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 11,853 times

Advertisements

Good morning,
I am interested in moving to Delaware, close enough to my aging parents in southern NJ. The location needs to be Philly-drive/train commute friendly, diverse and alive! Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 07:26 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,320,161 times
I'm worried about your requirement that the area be "alive". I know a guy here who is about to move back to Portland, Oregon who opines that Delaware is "easily the worst place I've ever lived -- there's no energy here." While I like living in northern DE well enough and in some ways a great deal, I have to agree that the area is pretty well completely lacking in dynamism. If you are pretty young you might enjoy living in Newark somewhere near the campus of UD. In Wilmington, Trolley Square is the young, somewhat hip area; but really there's not a whole lot going on there. Live music in Wilmington and Newark has improved recently, but it's still rather limited. IMO, Delaware isn't a great place for highly urban young adults (less than middle aged IOW). My partner and I are in our 50s, so it's not so much of an issue for us. However, we'd still prefer to live in a larger east coast city if there were an option that had a sufficiently low cost of living, favourable tax situation, and the degree of legal protections for same-gender couples that Delaware has now instituted. There just doesn't seem to be a viable option. It's a trade-off: relatively cheap living and relatively mild winters in DE (and for us the protection of civil union legislation), but not the most stimulating, urbane or dynamic environment in the world. At least it's pretty hassle-free (sigh).

Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM

663 posts, read 771,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I'm worried about your requirement that the area be "alive". I know a guy here who is about to move back to Portland, Oregon who opines that Delaware is "easily the worst place I've ever lived -- there's no energy here." While I like living in northern DE well enough and in some ways a great deal, I have to agree that the area is pretty well completely lacking in dynamism. If you are pretty young you might enjoy living in Newark somewhere near the campus of UD. In Wilmington, Trolley Square is the young, somewhat hip area; but really there's not a whole lot going on there. Live music in Wilmington and Newark has improved recently, but it's still rather limited. IMO, Delaware isn't a great place for highly urban young adults (less than middle aged IOW). My partner and I are in our 50s, so it's not so much of an issue for us. However, we'd still prefer to live in a larger east coast city if there were an option that had a sufficiently low cost of living, favourable tax situation, and the degree of legal protections for same-gender couples that Delaware has now instituted. There just doesn't seem to be a viable option. It's a trade-off: relatively cheap living and relatively mild winters in DE (and for us the protection of civil union legislation), but not the most stimulating, urbane or dynamic environment in the world. At least it's pretty hassle-free (sigh).
I totally agree. My husband & I are middleaged but we aren't ready for the rocking chair or half dead yet, so when we feel like being entertained we always "have to" go to Philly. I've said many times on these forums if you come here any Sat night after 11pm it looks like a ghost town, dead. Face it, the entire state is one big hick town.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,320,161 times
I think that OTOH is a little harsh as an assessment. We enjoy the restaurants/bars here as entertainment. We aren't all that keen on Philly, though enjoy it occasionally. We tend to travel out of the area with some frequency, so get away either on the Amtrak DC-Boston corridor, on US Air e-saver fares to various smaller East Coast destinations, or make flights out of Philly across the pond. Within state we enjoy some trips downstate to Lewes and Rehoboth and occasionally some other destination. The occasional trip to Annapolis or St Michaels is also good. In DE it's a good idea to take advantage of the resources offered by the entire state rather than just in the immediate area where one lives. We like to get away with some frequency but I also like to return here from our travels. Still, I wouldn't want to be stuck here as my whole exclusive world.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:30 AM

12,617 posts, read 28,102,469 times
As someone that has mostly lived in small towns, I don't really get the "be entertained" thing. Don't most people work 5 days a week? That leaves two days and two nights to do something. For us that usually means catching up on housework, going out for dinner, watching sporting events - live or on TV or maybe going somewhere - maybe a city, but also maybe a fair or festival nearby. What would be different if one lived in a city? A shorter time to get somewhere? I know that after working all day, I don't usually feel like going out again and I don't think that would change with location.

Sassyjazzgirl, My parents also live in South Jersey and we found it pretty convenient to visit them when we lived nearest the PA/DE border near the Commodore Barry Bridge. If you want to stay in Delaware, that would be up near Naamans Road. It's an easy drive to Wilmington or Philadelphia, great shopping.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:19 AM

378 posts, read 498,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
I totally agree. My husband & I are middleaged but we aren't ready for the rocking chair or half dead yet, so when we feel like being entertained we always "have to" go to Philly. I've said many times on these forums if you come here any Sat night after 11pm it looks like a ghost town, dead. Face it, the entire state is one big hick town.
Sorry that us "Hicks" can't draw any kind of entertainment to the state for you tax refugees. Now you sit there saving money while bored to death.
What exactly do you mean by being entertained? For some tax refugees it's trying to turn the state into the one they just ran from.

If the OP wants to discover if she wants to settle here she should make a weekend (or longer) trip to the state and find out for herself.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:54 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,796,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post

We hicks are not worthy. Please move to California.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,822,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyjazzgal View Post
Good morning,
I am interested in moving to Delaware, close enough to my aging parents in southern NJ. The location needs to be Philly-drive/train commute friendly, diverse and alive! Any suggestions?
I liked Newark, nice college town. I used to commute to Pennsville NJ from there.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
Sorry that us "Hicks" can't draw any kind of entertainment to the state for you tax refugees. Now you sit there saving money while bored to death.
What exactly do you mean by being entertained? For some tax refugees it's trying to turn the state into the one they just ran from.

If the OP wants to discover if she wants to settle here she should make a weekend (or longer) trip to the state and find out for herself.
Hold up babe, the OP used the key word "alive", obviously she's not ready for the rocking chair either, she asked questions & I gave her my opinion & I take offense to you referring to me as a tax refugee. We built a home here that cost a nice piece of change, pay real estate as well as state income taxes here, shop, dine, & contribute to the general economy of this state. I referred to DE as a hick state, meaning there's not much to do here. Yeah we go to restaurants, movie theaters, shop, but that's about it. We're not big on going to the beaches but even if we were that's seasonal. If we want to go to plays, comedy clubs, Chinatown, live concerts that feature top entertainers, we "have to" go to philly(cause they don't come here), there is no other options. If I want to glaze at the stars, have backyard bbq's, fireworks on holidays, watch tv, or debate with you I stay home. No need to be hostile & take personal offense, I'm not being negative towards any individual, my reflections are directed to this state. It ain't personal but it is what it is.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
As someone that has mostly lived in small towns, I don't really get the "be entertained" thing. Don't most people work 5 days a week? That leaves two days and two nights to do something. For us that usually means catching up on housework, going out for dinner, watching sporting events - live or on TV or maybe going somewhere - maybe a city, but also maybe a fair or festival nearby. What would be different if one lived in a city? A shorter time to get somewhere? I know that after working all day, I don't usually feel like going out again and I don't think that would change with location.

Sassyjazzgirl, My parents also live in South Jersey and we found it pretty convenient to visit them when we lived nearest the PA/DE border near the Commodore Barry Bridge. If you want to stay in Delaware, that would be up near Naamans Road. It's an easy drive to Wilmington or Philadelphia, great shopping.

What you described as your usual weekend event would be considered the norm, but if you want to go outside the box then a person living here would do just like you said: visit a city, & the closest big city is Philly, & the difference is Philly offers more variety of things to do. It's October now, as it gets colder there'll be no more festivals/fairs, sporting events (major teams) you have to go to Philly, Art Museums, Philly once again, so thanks for proving my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware